It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ambitious plans to expand Britain's space industry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Ambitious plans to expand Britain's space industry

www.telegraph.co.uk

Ambitious plans have been unveiled for Britain to take a giant leap into space that would create an industry worth £40 billion a year and 100,000 new jobs.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I fully suport the idea of broadening our horizons but not just here in the UK, but on a global scale. If you read the majority of the articles regarding this topic and others like it you will see the common mistake. The mistake is the Pursuit of financial gain. We have seen this over and over again and i believe that we will continue to do so until something changes. That something been us, the human species. 20-30 years and hopefully colonizing other planets? sounds good to me, well thats if we settle our differences now. The way things are now and the ridiculous catalysts that set the ball rolling towards wars. The only thing stopping people nuking their enemies is the fact that it would possibly end up killing us all. But imagine this, US had their own planet as did every other, there was a big fallout, tell me this, what would be stopping a particular planets population from totally devastating another?
I honestly think that we are not ready yet and need to lay the cards on the table before we even contemplate doing this.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Would be nice but seeing as we can't even keep hold of a chocolate maker or the jobs that will now be going to Poland I think that it will end up being mostly outsourced.

The £40 billion will end in the pockets of countries that offer a really cheap work force

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Why doesn't each nation in the EU put say 5 billion a year(rich countries) into the European space agency exactly? We could quite easily surpass India,Russia,America and China. Would still create the jobs but we could take on more ambitious projects.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Well, for one I'm fully for it...after I do uni, at least there will be something for me to go into the UK.

And yes, the recession has left us in a quite bad state and I highly doubt how we will be able to inject £40 million into this programme. It will create jobs - but only a significant amount, most people would need to be skilled. It seems the skilled workers are doing much better than the unskilled - so I think the UK should emphasise themselves onto those.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
The only way that this would work would be globally. If it doesnt then we will continue to live life the same as we do now, the only difference been the fact that the worlds powers will be up there and others will be still down here.
That in itself would be pretty daunting if you were the nation rubbing them up the wrong way. There will be no need for nuclear weapons because simply slinging something the size of a house from up there in space at god knows what speed will cause a considerable amount of damage if it hit a city.
Imagine the US in control of a space fleet and rule on everything and Iran down here upsets them?.......See Ya
Thats why i feel that in order to do this properly its got to be everyone or no-one.
The world leaders need to sort this out sooner rather than later, settle their differences and learn to trust eachother.
The main causes of war is religion, pursuit of global dominance which mainly involves oil etc etc.
Everyone has the right to their own personal beliefs but I genuinely believe that if there was some sort of sign that would prove without doubt that we are not alone in the universe then this will end the wars based around religion, or atleast change the perception that everyone has. If the governments were to step away from the pursuit of power and release the technology that is free and safe then there will be no more wars surrounding oil etc.
This must all be done before we venture to new places.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I hope they go to the Moon as soon as possible.
Try something new in space.
Just think not too long age London was under rocket fire.
And now they can send people into space.
By now the free energy technology is well hidden and the only
course of action is to continue without the ether interaction
aircraft or automobile.
We are under total Illuminati control.
Back in 1984 before we knew it and did the 1945 power
transfer recognized by the author.
I think so but did he know about the free energy technology.
Back Back in 1984.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

The ESA does surpass India and China.. easily. its only robotics exploration though.

What you suggest isn't too far away tbh.. another 20 years of EU integration and the ESA will be getting some whopper funding.

[edit on 11/2/10 by Dermo]

join