It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSNBC Chris Mathews (Racist statement), "I forgot Obama was black for an hour"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I don't know if someone has already covered this (I did check first), and to the Mods, I apologize if someone did, but, this is definitely worthy of a thread. Star and flag if this entertains you, in my opinion this should be front page material.

Chris Mathews, only out of complete ignorance, gaffed out one of the most racist statements that has been released in ages on National Television after President Obama's State of the Union Address. I don't think that he's necessarily a complete bigot, but, ignorance is running rampant on MSNBC.

Make sure to scroll down the entire page to see both vids.

Here's a snippet from the source

"I was trying to think about who he was tonight. It's interesting: he is post-racial, by all appearances. I forgot he was black tonight for an hour. You know, he's gone a long way to become a leader of this country, and past so much history, in just a year or two. I mean, it's something we don't even think about. I was watching, I said, wait a minute, he's an African American guy in front of a bunch of other white people. And here he is president of the United States and we've completely forgotten that tonight -- completely forgotten it. I think it was in the scope of his discussion. It was so broad-ranging, so in tune with so many problems, of aspects, and aspects of American life that you don't think in terms of the old tribalism, the old ethnicity. It was astounding in that regard. A very subtle fact. It's so hard to talk about. Maybe I shouldn't talk about it, but I am. I thought it was profound that way."

Source
www.huffingtonpost.com...

[edit on 29-1-2010 by EvolvedMinistry]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 02:46 AM
link   
matthews is a geezer cut him some slack. Sounds like something my mom would say.

He doesnt realize that for most young people we have gone beyond forgetting, we never even realized their was anything to forget.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by liquidsmoke206

Oh, I agree which is the reason why I openly said that he made this comment out of ignorance. But, this is definitely thread worthy. I would like to see other member's responses to it.

By the way, I starred your post out of my agreement.

[edit on 29-1-2010 by EvolvedMinistry]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by liquidsmoke206
matthews is a geezer cut him some slack. Sounds like something my mom would say.

He doesnt realize that for most young people we have gone beyond forgetting, we never even realized their was anything to forget.

What a great statement and a heartening realization that slowly but surely humanity grows up, even if it is more reflective by youth than age.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I was actually going to do this thread but decided against it.

But here is the video.

Obama is post racial. I forgot he was black tonight.

Mathews is got to be one of the looniest on the left.

Shivers up his leg.

Mathews, is an idiot.

[edit on 1/29/2010 by endisnighe]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Thanks for posting up the vids...

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   
well I didnt forget. Nor did I forget the pro-black thing Michelle said a while back or what those preachers said about whites at the churches that Obama has since distanced himself from.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   

There needs to be a show 'old people say the darndest things!'

Last christmas my rather senile 80yr old grandmother announced 'oh I LOVE Nat King Cole - I don't even care that he's black!'... Was rather awkward for a brief moment.

Different generation.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

I think that show idea of yours would sell millions.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvolvedMinistry
reply to post by bkaust

Woo!
Must copyright. Like that twitter site "S*** my dad says" People love how tactless the older generations are!

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by bkaust

reply to post by bkaust

Woo!
Must copyright. Like that twitter site "S*** my dad says" People love how tactless the older generations are!

I would copywright that for sure. I even think it would be an easy pitch especially with all of the reality shows these days. I would definitely watch it. You have my approval, that's for sure.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Totalstranger
well I didnt forget. Nor did I forget the pro-black thing Michelle said a while back or what those preachers said about whites at the churches that Obama has since distanced himself from.

Well yes, racism is a multi-sided reality.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   
while its all fun and games when being like a child is on your side; when you expose yourself as adulterated there is no excuse for not being beaten mobbed or slain for the sake of "disrespect".im sure hes comfortable in his position being able to "disrespect" people; i doubt hes the same way all the time.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   
hoe is this racist? he's so not racist that he's color blind some time. those that think this is racism probably do so every time a sentence contain the word "black". get over yourself, you are not the center of the universe and we really do not care for it.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   

"I was trying to think about who he was tonight. It's interesting: he is post-racial, by all appearances. I forgot he was black tonight for an hour. You know, he's gone a long way to become a leader of this country, and past so much history, in just a year or two. I mean, it's something we don't even think about. I was watching, I said, wait a minute, he's an African American guy in front of a bunch of other white people. And here he is president of the United States and we've completely forgotten that tonight -- completely forgotten it. I think it was in the scope of his discussion. It was so broad-ranging, so in tune with so many problems, of aspects, and aspects of American life that you don't think in terms of the old tribalism, the old ethnicity. It was astounding in that regard. A very subtle fact. It's so hard to talk about. Maybe I shouldn't talk about it, but I am. I thought it was profound that way."

Source
www.huffingtonpost.com...

Sad, isn't it, when people are so deeply immersed in their racism they can't even see they are being racist.

Years back I was picking up my 5 y o granddaughter from school, and she excitedly pointed out her best friend to me:"That's her with the big blue bow on her hair."

Spotting her immediately, I pretended I hadn't and asked for a better description. So J described her hair and shoes. I had to laugh. The kids were all Caucasian or Asian, apart from this one little Tanzanian girl with jet black skin. J had never thought to point that out. She hadn't noticed.

It just shows racism is not natural at all. Kids are accepting until their parents, peers or authorities teach them not to be.

I guess Mathews thinks he's not racist because he managed to forget for an hour Obama was black. Obviously he's forgotten Obama is half white for much longer than that. Perhaps that makes him non racist?

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
This is pretty pathetic. I'm quite sure comments like these probably do get spoken all over North America and I'm sure some folks of color might even say the same tongue and cheek comments when describing Steve Nash's ability to play b-ball or Eminem's ability to rap, because their skillz are mad.

But when you are on the air under the scrutiny of millions of viewers who may or may not be sensitive to racial tendencies this is a blatant abuse and violation of his position. Comments like these do nothing but a disservice to him and the network. But comments like those probably do necessarily reflect the opinions and beliefs of the network.

After watching him make those comments, I could hear the nation in a unanimous sigh and shaking of the heads who long for better days of seeing past the color racial issues of the land.

Racism is subtle but pervasive even when it is well intentioned.

[edit on 29-1-2010 by sparrowstail]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   

I have to say you are absolutely bang on!

The thing uppermost in my mind when he read that speech was regret, that for everything he said, my American cousins are in for the same old 'business as usual' nonsense that got you into your present mess. Didn't even enter my head it was a black man in the middle of a load of white men.

I could say 'Different generation, different view of things' I guess... but, I'm 54 years old

@ the OP ... I must admit, I find it funny that anyone would say that, especially on primetime mainstream TV... a real 'DUH!' moment. what a gaff!

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Chris Matthews is a lying sack of..... he isn't a newsman, he's an interviewer that allows politicians airtime to propagandize. LOL, Obama isn't black anyway, he's mulatto. Still his comment was pretty pathetic, true to form.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ausar
while its all fun and games when being like a child is on your side; when you expose yourself as adulterated there is no excuse for not being beaten mobbed or slain for the sake of "disrespect".im sure hes comfortable in his position being able to "disrespect" people; i doubt hes the same way all the time.

Are you serious? Beaten. mobbed, slain for disrespect? If we beat everyone for disrepect nobody would have any teeth left.
What about "freedom of speech"? Or does that not apply to "hate speech"? ::cough:: - I hate to even say that phrase.
Agreed he's a dumbass but SLAIN? C'mon man, you mean that?

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   

hoe is this racist?

Because refering to Barack Obama as anything other than a man, is racist.

Pretty simple really. If you feel you have to point out the 'black' part, then it is blatant racism.

His skin colour doesnt affect his ability to lead a nation.

CT

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join