It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To those who are buggin in?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
First, I completly appreciate the idea of bugging out. However, I do not find that a suitable option for myself and family given our location and proximity to natural resources (water foliage meat).

I would like to hear opinions from those who plan to bug in. Specifically regarding the protection of your home and it's inhabitants. I, like most, fear the danger of those who want what you have, and are in the mindset of doing anything to get it. I"m looking for more than the simple answer of a gun or 10.

What are your plans for boarding windows, peep holes, fox holes, look out areas, surveillance and security systems. Dealing with those who approach your property, knock on your door, lear in windows and cross your property.

Imagine you have all your affairs in order from food/water for the next 25 yrs. What methods and techniques would you entertain to protect it, outside of firearms?

Any tactics would be completely appreciated. Good words in bad times.

11:11

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by eleven:eleven

discussion of that here is like waving a steak in front of a hungry dog, I'll u2u a very nice link, go to the folder files and download all you need.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by HappilyEverAfter

I snaps I wants it too. I would really like the link, as this is something I have yet to read much about.

One would want to stay away from obvious locales. Possibly in some sort of natural protected place, off the beaten path. You would want to bottleneck any invading forces into one killzone or no mans land.

That would be my strategery.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
One idea I have had is to block off both ends of our road, man it 24 hours. Nobody gets in but the people who live on this road. This should help keep gangs/opportunists/trouble makers far enough away from our homes so they can't just pull in our driveways and start raping and stealing.

This will, of course, have to involve all your neighbors. I'm sure after one family is murdered, everything of theirs stolen, house burnt to the ground, the rest of your neighborhood will fall in line.

Don't ever forget, no matter how much you try and protect your home, one Molotov cocktail and it's all gone. My plan is to keep them far enough away to guard against that. All your neighbors WILL be your new family!!

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
If a group of marauders really wanted to break in or go after your supplies there probably wouldn't be much you could do except fight to save your items.
maybe you might be able to build a safe room hidden behind a wall or something to store precious goods and somewhere to hide.

store a supply of nails and timber to board up doors and windows, build a high fence around the house, have some type of surveilance gear/alarm to warn of unwelcome guests.

have backup supplies hidden in other places and a plan ready if a move is necessary.
The question is how will you be attacked, large groups, by fire or smoke, from shooting weapons, with hand held items or even just someone quietly sneaking around. plan on ways to avoid these types of encounters.

Fight, Flee or Hide is about all one can do in a situation such as that.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by eleven:eleven
First, I completly appreciate the idea of bugging out. However, I do not find that a suitable option for myself and family given our location and proximity to natural resources (water foliage meat).

..I"m looking for more than the simple answer of a gun or 10.

Oh, in that case, I'm sure you'll be safe, now that the 'O' is prez.
Good luck to you.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
IF electricity is null and void (as we expect) what type of alarm system can you install on your property?

How would you rig your attic and crawlspace to assist you in this endeavor?

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
IF electricity is null and void (as we expect) what type of alarm system can you install on your property?

How would you rig your attic and crawlspace to assist you in this endeavor?

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   

talk to a good hunter, you can always set up booby traps that make noise when someone steps on a trip wire

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
In putting my plans for survival together over the years, I have found myself preparing more thoroughly for a bug in situation than a bug out situation.
Aside from a flood, there are few situations in which I feel bugging out would be the better choice.

Since every situation is different, a bit about my situation.

I live in a rural town, population about 1500.
We are surrounded by farms, fields, rivers and lakes.
The well on my property provides my water, but also needs to be protected. The well itself is exactly 67 yards from my back porch.

House is a split level. This means I have quite a few large windows (4'x4') at ground level. It also means that five feet of my lower level is below ground.
The upper level is fifteen feet above ground, windows in all directions.
Attached garage.

Sorry so wordy, but here is a bit of what I had to look at. Some of this was done to prevent against wmd fall-out, etc. rather than human intruders.

Security lighting, some solar, which clicks on with motion detected.
It can be seen from inside the house, giving forewarning to anyone approaching.

All screws to entry doors were replaced with 4 inch deck screws, and door frames re-enforced.

Several doors have one type of barricade or another.

All windows have had the putty (which holds the window to the frame) removed, and replaced with clear latex/ silicone caulk. This caulk stays soft, and if a window is broken, many more shards of glass remain than with the putty.
All windows have been sealed on the outside cracks and crevices as well.

On the garage door, I have drilled a hole in each guide rail(?) that the little wheels roll up and down in, and keep u-bolts right next to each hole. Simply putting these bolts through the hole and tightening the nuts stops the door from raising,

In my basement, I keep pre-cut plywood for each of the lower windows. I have attached cyclone fencing the back of the pre cut panels, and have holes pre-drilled by the windows.
I keep 4 inch lag bolts, as well as the proper size socket and a ratchet with these. I can just see me scrambling around, looking for that damn 7/16 socket as the shtf!

I could go on for quite a while, but I won’t.
I will say that there is so much that can be done in advance that can give you the upper hand, it’s ridiculous.

Anything that can deter, give you forewarning, and buy extra time is worth doing, imo.
Cover can be created using household items, e.g. filing cabinets, book shelves filled with books, etc.
Walls can be re-enforced. You don’t need to do the whole wall, so long as you know what part of the wall is cover, and which is concealment, you’ll be better off.
Do this by pulling drywall off the wall in a strategic area (corner, perhaps) pour concrete between the studs, or, better yet, fill with high strength clay bricks, put the drywall back up, paint, or whatever. You now have a covered position, they don’t.

Try not to keep all your weapons in one place. I know this is tricky, especially if you have kids, but there are ways that are plenty safe.

Within your home, your handgun is only used to get you to your long gun!

I have posted a link to a relevent thread below.
It was about home invasion, but still has pertinent info.

Link

[edit on 17-1-2010 by Oaktree]

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Never underestimate the deterance power of a dog.
A big, loud dog.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Thank you Oaktree! keep it coming!

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by eleven:eleven

I would like to hear opinions from those who plan to bug in. Specifically regarding the protection of your home and it's inhabitants. I, like most, fear the danger of those who want what you have, and are in the mindset of doing anything to get it. I"m looking for more than the simple answer of a gun or 10.

What are your plans for boarding windows, peep holes, fox holes, look out areas, surveillance and security systems. Dealing with those who approach your property, knock on your door, lear in window and cross your property.

Imagine you have all your affairs in order from food/water for the next 25 yrs. What methods and techniques would you entertain to protect it, outside of firearms?

Any tactics would be completely appreciated. Good words in bad times.

11:11

The main problems with bugging in,as it were is that people believe that it is necessary to turn their homes into a hardened subterranean bunkers with automatic motion sensitive lazer weapons for defence and they must lock themselves within the confines of that space.

An attic or a crawl space is nothing more than A box to keep you trapped in.

1) The most import thing you can do is "keep your mouth shut" about what you got.

2) Define the threats by distance. ie Neighbors,roving bands of Cossacks,hungry zombies.
Who are the neighbours ?

Many don't think beforehand of the people that are around us when we buy are BOL's or BIL's,the reason for that is that some aren't thinking survival when they acquire them.

Once you find out if there is problems with location(neighbors) the question of relocation comes into play.

You need to know who your neighbours are.
Are they of the like mindedness you need ?
Are they prepared as well ?
Is there Respect ?
What will be the chain of command as it were ?
What will govern the decision making process ?
always remember ...when the SHTF all bets are off.

Bugging in does not negate the need for a bug out location or for escape routes.
It just means your not in a densely populated hi-rise in the middle of town, you have a little more space to play with and less neighbors.

oh and HappilyEverAfter, I'll take a u2u with a link as well if you don't mind. maybe I can send you a few as well.

Trying to talk tactics and defenses in the open is not a good idea,and it is best done with your neighbours or your group .

[edit on 18-1-2010 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Build up your home defense before sitX hits the fan...

If you need to justify it, with the wacky weather, consider it as additional insurance against that.

Storm windows, pre-cut security panels that can be screwed in place.

Hopefully, get a home that is very solidly built, and as much fireproofing as possible.

Nightvision, and security watches (after the event occurs)

Most importantly, from the outside, the house should not appear to be inhabited, if this is at all possible...(after sitX)

or, Form a community, as a group is safer...

Numerous fire extinguishers...

Place weapons (melee and firearms) all around the house, ensure all know how to SAFELY handle them

If you have stairs, try rigging them to where you could, at the flip of a lever, etc., collapse the stairs (and others can't raise them).

All interior doors should be as strong as an outer door, and with the same lock as the outer door (you don't want to be fishing for different keys)...

Have supplies all over the house.

Have each room able to be its own saferoom.

Rig up a perimeter warning system (trip wires, after sitX).

Disguise the exterior (after sitX)... Make usable things look unusable (including car, garden, etc.) i.e. plant in staggers, not rows... If you can, paint the outside of the windows to resemble fire damage....(most may not investigate a house that looks like it burned...)

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
go get a bunch of tree stands for hunting and know how to set them up so if a sitx happens you can set them up and keep a perimiter......also one side note for those wanting to bug in with your families would it just be you and your family or are you going to take some trusted people in (ie hunting buddy, old friend etc) to help you in protecting a family?

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
HI 11:11.

I would first of all be more interested in what sitx are you planning to bug in for.

There is a nice useful sticky thread at the top of this forum which depicts most sitx type events.

Some sitx's may require you to leave quickly, some you may have to leave after a few days / weeks, some may not require you to leave or bug out so to speak.

So tell me what sitx's would you first of all look at bugging in for.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Ive seen solar powered motion sensing lights on sale. They cost a little more, but Im sure they are worth it.

I think a simple "dont tread on me flag" in front of your house, with signs saying "tresspassers will be shot " might help

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Well as an old lady with only social security in a one floor apt with no basement even........

I plan to get into my king size bed with its soft Ikea matresses and sip a mocha kaluah valiam percocet latte, until someone come thru the door to take it away. Since I own no weapons, I plan to spray them with raid in the face before the lights go out forever.........Game Over.

Sorry I have no useful suggestions for you.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join