It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has CNN and Dr. Sanjay Gupta lost their damn minds?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I have been watching CNN for the last few days and they have Dr. Sanjay Gupta and Anderson Cooper reporting live from Haiti. So instead of having Dr. Gupta do his duty as a doctor, they have him running around explaining how he is surrounded by the sick and dying. WTF?

Shouldn't CNN just say "Hey Sanjay, we got this. Now, go and help those poor dying people out." Of course not. I just watched him help ONE little child and they made it out like he was a saint. WTF?

How about helping out as many people as he can and screw the reporting.

Has CNN and Dr. Sanjay Gupta lost their minds?

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Feeling Frisky

The crisis is the blank slate for the construction of their celebrity.
They dont care, I mean CARE. They are concerned, as in concerned about lighting, proper camera angle, how they spoke their lines. They will pay attention to proper scene content, make sure you have pain and suffering qued and ready to show, get some blood but not too much, we dont want tune out factor to rise.
It's a show, it's all pretend for them.
Oh yeah the real world is right behind them, but its just another backdrop, another stage,for the many takes they'll shoot, to get it right.

Gupta, sounds like something my grandmother scraped off the bottom of a pot!
He sold himself out years ago...isnt he a terrible actor?

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   

help those poor dying people out.

What did you expect him to do perform brain surgery? That is his specialty.

You did mention they were dying.

All doctors know that there is a certain point where there is nothing more that can be done.

Were you wanting him to perform a miracle perhaps?

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I don't know but a doctor whether a brain surgeon or not has to know basic and advanced aid and is better suited to help then the reporter. I think it just strikes of poor taste to have a medically trained person watching the suffering. Even if he can't help the dying I am sure there are people that are not yet dead and could be saved though I assume he didn;t come equipped for such a task and it may be in his contract that he can't.

That said I think the OP has a valid point. They need all the help they can get and what a PR piece it would be to film their very own helping out with the relief effort.

Cheers

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
A brain surgeon, just as he can appear on tv and tell us all how much we all need "the vaccines"... can equally do doctoring work unless he's much too important for those things.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by HappilyEverAfter

Yeah it just disgusts me. I mean I know they have a job to do and all, but c'mon where is their compassion. I am not even that compassionate, but if I could find a way to get there and help I would be on my way. I feel so bad for those people. They are hurt and dying, and who do we send first to represent us a bunch of people who ask them stupid ass questions instead of taking off their shirt and juming in to give a hand.

One guy watched as some 10 year old girl was trapped under a building and she was almost free. Just one leg caught under a beam. Alll they needed was a power saw and generator, but they were having problems with the geneator and you know this guy has access to one, because Cameras and lights don't just power themselves.

It almost makes me ashamed i am from the same country as these jackasses on CNN,

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Reminds me of Shepherd Smith from Fox wining about the hungry and thirsty people in the dome during Katrina as he is holding a fresh water bottle and takes a swig...

I can't stand that effer.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
He treated a 15 day old baby earlier in the day. He's at the hospital now, but there are no supplies, no nurses and no other doctors. He just said that he had been treating others that came up to him, to the extent that he could.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by calcoastseeker

help those poor dying people out.

What did you expect him to do perform brain surgery? That is his specialty.

You did mention they were dying.

All doctors know that there is a certain point where there is nothing more that can be done.

Were you wanting him to perform a miracle perhaps?

He is a brain surgeon. That means he went to med school and had to learn general medicine before his specialty. He could set peoples broken limbs. Hell, I can do that and I am not even a doctor.

There is tons he could do and not miracles. You know sometimes even if he coudn't help solve the problem the people would feel comfort just to know someone cared enough to try and at least could learn how severe their wounds are.

That has to be better than them listening to you tell the world how much their country sucks and how they are all going to die.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by elfie

I am sure he has helped a few, but why is he reporting and why is CNN wasting his skills reporting stuff when he could be helping. You know you can set someones broken bone with some sticks and duct tape. Just saying.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Celebrity doctors are some of the lowest forms of life.

They take a hypocritic oath.

[edit on 14-1-2010 by Deny Arrogance]

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I was watching CNN last night too. I kept thinking , ok , after this sentence , he's going to head off. Nothing.

Then there was Cooper , standing beside a girl buried in the rubble, and

4 or 5 others were atempting to move the rubble. He's watching , saying how sad it is there's not enough help. HOW many people were with HIM?

I realize the problem is enormous , but don't just Stand there.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Sean48

Exactly. Don't just stand there and look pretty and keep saying the same stuff over and over like, "Haiti is the armpit of the western world", "millions may die", "there are injured and trapped people EVERYWHERE".

I dont even expect them to succeed in helping people just take off the pretty makeup and get your clothes diry and jump in and help.

What would get better ratings? Them going on and on filmed in perfect video or them dirty, sweaty, and in their commited to help? I would much rather see them try, then at least I could respect them.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Couldn't care less about CNN and Mr. Gupta ... but in the spirit of fairness:

latimesblogs.latimes.com...

And I believe, for what it is worth, that he's won a humanitarian award.

Don't know much about the man so I really can't comment further ...

But I guess what he really should be doing is keyboard play by play from his comfy chair.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
You hit on the point I was going to make...

The man is a news correspondent and a doctor.

How does anyone know what he is doing off-camera?

Why assume he is NOT helping?

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I was just watching CNN and there was another doctor being interviewed who was explaining that he would be going to Haiti to help out and I'm thinking did he really need to take precious time to be interviewed on TV first, telling everybody about this wonderful thing he's going to do when those people in Haiti aren't going to hold off on bleeding until he gets around to getting there. I mean, seriously, why wasn't he already there?

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by MissSmartypants

I don't know, logistics? There's many organizations waiting to get approval to go. How's the condition of the airport? Can flights get in? I mean, this is a major disaster and it just happened. It's not easy to work out these things immediately. I don't know how disaster logistics teams work but before presuming something, it would probably be worth some research, no?

Just an example:

Flights resume

A U.S. official says the Haitian government asked that the flights be stopped because there was no room at the airport in Port-au-Prince for more planes -- and there was a shortage of fuel for departing aircraft.

[edit on 14-1-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Wow, a cable news network exploiting a tragedy for higher ratings?

Damn, never seen any of them go that low before.

After the break, a view of the carnage, as Anderson Cooper reports live from atop 50ft tall pile of bodies, providing perhaps the most compelling view of the damage and chaos "looking down on this from these bodies really puts it all into perspective" --AC

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Yesterday, Dr. Gupta did a report in the early afternoon (German time) on CNN International. Right at the end of the report, he said that as soon as they were done with the report, they (he and the crew) were going to get back to helping people as much as they can.

CNN International (I don't know if it's on regular CNN) has a show called Backstory. In the show, they show what it's like behind the scenes of the newscast. I forget where he was, but Dr. Gupta was somewhere as a correspondent (much like now) and they showed how he was going to help people when he wasn't on the air.

My point is that he does help people, and is doing just that in Haiti at the moment. Thing is, he took a job at CNN as a medical correspondent. As such, he has to be in front of the camera sometimes. That doesn't mean that he doesn't help people at all when he is somewhere. In fact, I would bet that CNN sent him to Haiti because of his medical expertise, not so that they could get reports from a doctor saying, "Yep. People are dying." Everyone knew that already anyway.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   

I turned to CNN, because they seem to report this better. Yes, I noticed Dr. Gupta reporting. He was saying things were hopeless. That doesn't really help anyone does it? Let's just say he gets an F for bedside manner.

I understand you can't be on air with an opinion and help people at the same time. Maybe off camera he is helping one person at a time. Also neurosurgeons are usually in a ivory tower of medicine, so getting dirty may shock him.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join