It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think I Am A New Aged Racist

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Now, most of my friends here on ATS would think that this is another one of my joke threads, it's really not. Now I am not a racist just for the sake of saying, I don't like black people, or I don't like brown people.

It's a new kind of racism I think I have developped over the span of perhaps ten years. It has nothing to do with my environment or my upbringing it has literally crept on me.

Here is my problem with people. Immigrants. Why is it that you all have this notion that when you move to ANOTHER country, you MUST have your way of life respected or accepted among us?

Now I am not talking about assimilation, the American "Melting Pot". I am talking about you coming here and expecting us who have lived here the same way for hundreds of years, to change our laws and our way of living for you, who made the CHOICE to live in another country who had different values and a different way of thinking.

Take the problems in the UK with the muslim community for example, this is not something that should happen.

Why do you not learn our language? I am sorry, but if you move to a primarily English country, LEARN ENGLISH, do not get upset because I cannot speak Cantonese.

If I moved to another country, whose primary language was not English, I would be expected to learn said language. I don't even care if you speak it poorly, learn enough to be able to get around. It is not our responsibility to learn your language because again, YOU made a choice to move to a different country with a different way of doing things.

Now this sounds like a rant, but honestly I DON'T want to feel this way, I want to love everybody regardless, but I am sick of hearing about this in the news, immigration laws and our never ending changing of the playing field in order to satisfy the wants of people who made CHOICES to move here.

I feel really bad for writing this, I feel as though I am almost going to have people look down upon me for feeling this way, and trust me I wish it was not so.

So what do you think ATS? How do I change this line of thought? Are there any immigrants who can provide an argument to what I have said above?

~Keeper

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

So what do you think ATS? How do I change this line of thought?

~Keeper

Maybe immigrate somewhere yourself for a few years, and to a totally different culture, try a Muslim country there are plenty of nice ones (by nice i mean not being blown up)around like UAE, Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Qatar etc.
Never know you may learn something.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

That's a good idea, I mean I have adopted two children from other countries and love them dearly, like I said, it's not he color I have a problem with, more so the idea that they will turn my country into a carbon copy of theirs.

The moving will have wait, I still have 3 kids to send to college lol.

~Keeper

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Infamous Double Post...

~Keeper

[edit on 1/6/2010 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
S&F!!! That is exactly the way I feel.

I have no problem with immigration. However, I do have a problem with the notion that it is some how incumbent upon us to conform to their ways rather than vice versa. I have always heard and believed, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do."

[edit on 6-1-2010 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I don't think that is necessarily racist, more xeno-phobic. Either way, you live in a supposed democracy so you vote the people in who make those laws that pander to the various minorities (visible and otherwise) and if you want the system changed, make your opinions heard. most people won't speak up particularly if they're white, just because of that fear of being labeled as a racist or a bigot. just my $0.02

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Here is my problem with people. Immigrants. Why is it that you all have this notion that when you move to ANOTHER country, you MUST have your way of life respected or accepted among us?

Sort of like how the colonists coming to the Americas changed things to the old European way?

Is that what you mean?

If they'd stuck to the native ways, America would look a little different, eh?

Anyways, I guess those newcomers didn't figure the native people of the Americas were in any way a civilization. I guess it's human nature to try and stick to the old ways no matter where you wind up. If I was to move to Southern Sudan, I doubt I'll be burning villages or anything.

[edit on 6/1/10 by masqua]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by kerberos

That's a really good point, and I agree we should make our voices heard in these matters to ensure that the things I like about my country stay the same, thanks for the input.

~Keeper

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Ohh masqua, always keeping me on my toes eh?

Yes I would have to agree that it would look quite differently. And I know that my country was build on the foundation of immigration as we are all decendants of immigrations save the natives that are left.

Thanks for the input, brilliant as always.

~Keeper

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I do understand what you mean, and I think its a fairly common issue in several countries.

First of all, stop feeling guilty for feeling this way. Feelings have no moral value; they are neither good or bad. They just are. How you react to those feelings; the choices and actions you take based on your feelings...those are what you are responsible for.

With that in mind, have you done something to feel guilty or ashamed of? If not, then you're beating yourself up for no real reason.

As to how to overcome those feelings, perhaps try to familiarize yourself with some individual situations. We find it easier to react negatively to people when we devalue their humanity; thinking of people by their 'label' (immigrant, Asian, feminist, etc) makes it easier to forget the fact that they are real people. I know I'm guilty of doing this myself.... right now I'm trying to overcome my knee-jerk reactionary feeling that islamic=terrorist.

Hopefully this helps somewhat.... just remember that you can't always change your feelings but you can change your response to those feelings.

Smyleegrl

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Well you've just made my friends list Smyleegrl. Thanks so much for that input, I agree, it is sort of a knee jerk reaction to look at them differently, and I mean I have immigrant children, this is an eye opener for me.

Mind you I love my children to death and see them as just that, my children, but perhaps I just get some immigrant friends and sit down and discuss why the immigrated.

And no I have never done anything to look down upon people for this reason, I seldom voice my opinions in public when I see them acting in ways that I deem innapropriate because I don't know all the facts and it's not my palce to judge anyway.

~Keeper

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I didn't think you'd done anything wrong, hope it didn't come across that way. I have a toddler haning on my arm, its hard to think coherently while listening to "Dora the Explorer" belted out at full volume.

Just the fact that you are concerned about your feelings shows you really do care for others....a rare quality these days.

And I'm so glad I have anothe friend! Yippeee!

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
How do you feel about an immigrant that is granted citizenship in your country?

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
You are Ignorant .. and here is why ..

NOT ALL IMMIGRANTS ARE THE SAME !!! ..

Most Immigrates DO adapt to the culture .. DO learn the language ..

The Problem is .. Bigots like you want to pick on the "Bad Apples" , and then judge a whole group of people ..

People like you is the reason so many people HATE Immigrants and judge them without even know their story ..

I am sure you are not a Racist and do not judge color .. but you need to learn that you cannot LABEL a whole group of people because of a few "bad apples"

P.s - You may not be racist .. but you are a little xenophobic ..

[edit on 6-1-2010 by Polynomial C]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Polynomial C

No offense, but havne't you just done that same thing by calling the OP a bigot?

Bigots like you want to pick on the "Bad Apples" , and then judge a whole group of people ..

I do agree with you, though; treating people as individuals will help overcome that steroetype reaction.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Polynomial C

Jeez, have another cup of coffee.

Habla Español? Sprechen Sie Deutsch? Parle vu france?

Just like our president telling people to learn another language, which is actually a good idea, yet speaks none himself.

OP, immigration and the whole thing is a big bad case of what the hell. Just go with the flow, enjoy life and do not stress on it. Open your mind and the answer will come.

Okay, I did not buy the new age crap as I was writing it. I do not have the answers, when you get some, send them my way.

Peace.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Actually, a lot of people feel this way and they are not remotely racist and have nothing but love in their heart for their fellow man. The 'racist' accusation towards someone for having common sense concerning this issue is just a politically correct lie.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Thats okay mate. Personally I hate white people.

As for you hating immigrants, you seem to forget learning English takes time and money, many of the immigrants coming to you're country are far too poor to afford either and you'll find it's mainly the wealthy ones who do speak English. It's not their fault they can't speak English, they moved to escape poverty and other atrocities with little or no funds to their names.

It's not so easy for them to take 30 hours out of their week to enroll in English classes, when they have to work 60 hours a week on sub-standard pay.

Also, the world belongs to no one. Your country is not YOUR country. It is all one world and it has no owner, people and governments claiming land for their own are sadly delusional.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

The OP has the views of what i classify as Bigot .. I am sure the OP doesn't belong in the Bigot category .. but still, what the OP said is pretty ignorant (In my opinion at least ..)

Xenophobia is not cool ..

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
OP, immigration and the whole thing is a big bad case of what the hell.

That's quite true, really. There isn't much that can be done about it.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join