It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Destroyer vs. Rogue wave........

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Gues who wins? This is a great article and goes to show , especially after a couple of posts about our navy's obsoletion, that we build em right. U.S. Ross vs. Rogue wave
I would like to know if it was flying solo or part of a CBG.

[edit on 31-12-2009 by djvexd]

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

we build em right.
U.S. Ross vs. Rogue wave

So let me see if I understand you correctly. A US destroyer...an ocean-going vessel...was able to sail directly (read: correctly) into an ocean wave and didn't sink...

...and this is something you feel we should be impressed by?

o.O

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Having been hit by a 70-80' monster off the Southern Coast of Newfoundland on a 660' cargo ship let me tell you that yes you should be impressed that they didn't sink. These Rogue Waves have a tremendous amount of power behind them and broke 2 four inch wire ropes used to secure our 240 tonnes conveyor boom to the deck.

Here's a inside a cruise ship during heavy rolls

Rogue Wave "Deadliest Catch"

Working on a logship coming from Homer, Alaska to Queen Charlotte Islands in BC late november we took one head on and it punched 5 three inch lexan windows secured to the ships steel frame. We lost all electronics and comms and had about a foot of water in the Wheelhouse.

Navy ships aren't built to the same heavy designs that cargo ships are as they want as little weight as possible to keep their speed up. Where the Navy cut down in weight they made up in enginuity as their ships are built tough.

So yes, to survive a rogue wave and not sink is often the best outcome. Your lucky if your still motoring when one of these bad boys hits you.

Edit: I'd like to point out the good job the stewards and staff do on the cruise ship video. The bridge crew on the other hand was probably fired for letting themselves get into the trough like that. The damage bill must have been massive.

[edit on 1-1-2010 by DEEZNUTZ]

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I was on a Navy MSO minesweeper and hit a wave that went completely over the bridge lookout up to the cross beam on the mast.
Other then a little mopping and a few people having to change into dry clothing like the lookouts above the bridge it was not to bad.

commons.wikimedia.org...:USS_Enhance_(MSO-437).jpg

Wooden Ships and Rusty Crusty Old Iron Men

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   
like bruce lee said ... calm one moment ... crashing down the next.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

So you posted to say...Ho-hum. Well let me expand. While , yes, a good amount of larger ships have been hit with a rogue wave and survived. However a good portion haven't and to be honest, it accounts for a good portion of the Northen Atlantic and Bermuda Triangle's seafaring disappearances, as well as other Triangles across the globe. The sonar housing was destroyed which in some sense should give you an idea of the mass of water behind this wave as well as cracked the hull. The article doesn't say the extent of the hull crack, only that the crew was able to contain or subdue it. Even going headlong into a rogue wave can catastrophically damage a ship even of this size. I think you may underestimate the power of water as well as a rogue wave.

[edit on 1-1-2010 by djvexd]

top topics

join