It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you try to make money if you had some extraordinary piece of proof?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I've been thinking about this for a while. Some of the criticism towards the prominent figures of the UFO community (such as Hopkins, Friedman, Greer etc) are their desire to provide information for a price. An example of this is the alleged Roswell incident, the most well known example of UFOlogy, and yet it is hampered by so many conflicting recollections and interpretations. And in any book gathering you will find authors sitting next to each other signing and selling information that contradicts the author to their right.

Some ponder if information of this nature should even be diluted by entrepreneurial intentions - in other words the information should be free. But let's face it, we all have bills to pay.

I sometimes wonder if a UFO landed in front of me and I recorded this with my mobile in great resolution and managed a footage that was undeniable, would I put a watershed on that video with my name on it? Would I try to "own" this piece of human history? Or would I want to turn into a millionaire over night by selling it? Not only would I be remembered as the first official human contactee, I would also be financially very comfortable for the rest of my life.

Could anyone here honestly refuse to take that opportunity? Or would you think the entire world owns this piece?

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I have thought of this as well, and I don't think for a moment that someone (including myself) wouldn't obtain $$$ if you had some solid evidence. Why wouldn't you? If as I suspect, their visits are nothing (including our governments) can do about it. If the world finds out, it will still continue to turn, and when people got up the next day, they'll realize that they still have to go to work, and conduct their normal day-to-day activities. Disclosure won't change necessarily a thing on a worldwide scale, other than us knowing.

If you could be on the news and divulge the smoking gun about UFOs for free: OR you could do the same on a huge talk show for say, 10 million bucks.. which would you choose?

Some will try to suggest it is ignoble to do such a thing. But the are either foolish or liars.

It's information. This is the information age, and good information sells very well. Now someone like Friedman is different. He spent 10 years researching and writing about Roswell, before he published a book. Of course he should be paid. He still has to make a living. And I'd rather he make money for appearances, books and so on, so he continues excellent research.

On the other hand, I feel some, like Sitchen, use people's gullibility to rake in money hand over fist, which I do NOT agree with. Providing facts as you have them is one thing. Taking small bits of fact and embellishing with bits of whim and fancy and calling it "research," and then selling it as proof, that is a scam.

[edit on 6-12-2009 by fleabit]

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Very good question.

To be honest, it all seems to depend on the lifestyle of the one with the evidence.

Personally, I would definately charge for it, People need to eat, and after being laid off... Well, you get my point.

People may attack those for their choices, but it stands to reason that those criticizing are only doing so for a lack of evidence that this other potentially has.

Standard case of 'I want what he's got'.

Bad I know, but our entire society is based entirely around monetary payment for goods/service ... We've all been indoctrinated from birth to put a pricetag on most things. I'll bet that 90 percent of the people would TRULY charge for this kind of evidence.

J

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
No. The very first thing I would do is post whatever is that I discovered right here on ATS!

I speak only for myself. Money is not important to me.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Hi,
I think I would upload the video (if this would be my evidence) to the public domain. If it really were undeniable proof, I`m sure there would be alot of interview requests by the media, so I could still sell the story.
But deliberately selling lies is a another thing.

Cheers

[edit on 6-12-2009 by derpif]

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Absolutely! If I had real, conclusive proof (not like a video or something that could be faked, but like a dead alien or something similar) it would go to the highest bidder, regardless of who it was.

And why not? The world we live in runs on money, and I don't have any. If I had a chance like that to get a few million or so, I'd jump on it. At this point in my life, any problems I have are money related. I already have friends, family, relatively good health, all the important stuff like that. If I had a heap of money, I'd be able to live a nice quiet life like I want to, away from most of the idiots we find ourselves surrounded by. I'd be able to donate funds to people/places I think would benefit from it.

I wouldn't even care what they did with it after they bought it. If the government was the highest bidder and wanted to just hide it away, that's fine with me. The world would be no worse off than it already is, and I'd be in a nice little place on a mountain somewhere.

Call me selfish if you will, but that's what I'd do. I wouldn't even want my name associated with it if it were made public, that would be a stipulation to the sale. I have no desire for fame, just to be left alone to live where and with whom I want.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I would have to say that we truly dont own anything.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
There are two issues about which I would not ask a penny from anyone, but be absolutely certain that the information got to the whole world:

1. Absolute undeniable proof of alien/UFO visitation.
2. The key to the secret of zero point energy.

Fact is anyone who has either of the above had better get it out to as many people as possible as fast as they can, because they won't live very long if they try to profit from either one.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
If you had anything that was beyond the normal debatable stuff that skeptics criticize, the MIB would remove it. There are actually two different groups that would do so. One is our own black ops. But.....some of the cosmic ones would too. There are many differering groups with many differing agendas.

You would not be given the opportunity to make money. If you really wanted to get something like this out you would need to duplicate proof of it in numerous places and with numerous people pretty much all at once, I mean I wouldnt sleep on it. And chances are not good that if you could do this, it would not all be undone.

[edit on 6-12-2009 by Unity_99]

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I definitely wouldn't, and I don't personally feel anything educational should be charged for. I would feel like I was taking advantage of the community. If it was entertainment, say I made a fictional movie about UFOs, that would be entirely different!

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I'd write to hollywood and sell it to the highest big greedy producer.

The ultimate Sci-Fi movie story eh?

Then I'd stick it on youtube before the film comes out just to spite him..lol

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
If you had anything that was beyond the normal debatable stuff that skeptics criticize, the MIB would remove it. There are actually two different groups that would do so. One is our own black ops. But.....some of the cosmic ones would too. There are many differing groups with many differing agendas.

You would not be given the opportunity to make money. If you really wanted to get something like this out you would need to duplicate proof of it in numerous places and with numerous people pretty much all at once, I mean I wouldn't sleep on it. And chances are not good that if you could do this, it would not all be undone.

Beautiful. I was going to post a reply but then I read your post and you said all I was going to say and more. I still find it so odd that more members are oblivious to the obvious. They debate about making money but totally miss the deadly pitfall. Forget making money. How about you get away with your life? I think this situation is more common than thought to be. How many naive UFO witnesses got caught up in the moment screaming "UFO" and did not realize they were in grave danger until it was too late?

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Shino

If i ever had a ufo encounter, i would keep it to myself. Life is hard enough, being called all the names under the sun, without more stick.

Like bob lazar, who i think holds back more stuff. Why should you tell others?

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
ok, let's say you sell the pic, vid, info, whatever ... so you get paid. then the ones you sold the information to immediately coverup and hide the info that you sold to them. how would you feel?

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Shino

The trouble with UFOlogy is that the majority of books are written by people who are not interested in the truth and have learned that the truth doesn't sell. Authors use the same info as all other authors, except when they quote some individual experiences that they got to first. I have read hundreds of UFO books since 1957 and I found out that the majority of UFO books contain bs, for that is what readers thirst for. Readers don't want the unromantic truth.

Hopkins, nor any of the popular authors are qualified to mess with people's minds, they are not trained to do so. But they make millions with alien abduction bs. If you knew anything about hypnosis youd see that they fail miserably in their methods.

The same thing for Roswell enthusiasts. There are now more living "witnesses" to the "crash than were alive when the even happened. It's a good business bs'in the public, crocodile tears and all. The few books that tell it like it really was are rarely found for sale, except at amazon and eBay.

NASA photos and videos can be used free by the public because we paid for them. But the material available to people to write from is not always available free so it can be used and charged for. What I'm trying to say is that you have more docudramas than documentaries about a given subject such as the ones constantly shown on the "History" Channel. Documentaries don't require actors, docudramas do. I find docudramas of less interest than a full-blown documentary. I want facts, not actors.

The biggest problem is that people are hungry for information and instead of relying on the Internet they go out and buy books, or go to conventions to hear the authors, etc. All of the time they are being fed bs at a high price too.

If a UFO landed in front of me and I recorded the event you can bet your bippy I'd be on my way to find the nearest big TV news network and offer my footage. First, though, I'd cover my butt by making a copy and offering the copy not the original. NEVER offer the original. And make sure you don't sign your rights away and make sure that you give them one-time rights so that you can peddle it to every news network you could. My footage belongs to ME, not to the "entire world." They'll get to see it, AFTER my pocket is satisfied.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   
It doesn't matter what proof you have - you'll be "debunked" around here.

There are no aliens and anyone who says they have proof is a liar and a charlatan (even if there are aliens and they do have proof.)

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 02:47 AM
link   
It depends on how much money there is to be made. If it is in the multi-millions then I would.

If a network or producer offered like 50K I would turn it down.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   
I personally wouldn't charge , If I had Earth shattering proof either good or bad I would have to tell straight away after thinking on the best course of action.
If you advertise the fact that you have 'proof' then the longer you hold onto it the longer TPTB that do not want the information to come out have to either steal the item ( If it is an item) or silence you in some way, ( either paying you off , or arranging you to 'lose you memory' or lose your life).
That way if you get the information out as soon as possible you do not run the risk of personal harm and all you have to ride is the sh*tstorm of ridicule if you can stand it and if the information IS genuine then you can stand by as the denyers slate you, you can stand true to your convictions and know that YOU are telling the truth. ALL you have to do is prove it, and if it undeniable then you can, the denyers HAVE to prove its fake.

Plus if you try IMO to profit from giving out information it looks like a scam anyway so most people will not listen, as son as you say " I have X , and it cost you $$$ to hear it" most people switch off.
The only people that MAY actually pay are the ones that want the information hidden anyway. SO why run the risk?.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Absolutely no way - I would scream my hands off!

Proof is what this world needs to stop all this ridiculous bloodshed and get on with moving out to the stars.

Think about how much cash has been spent on war - think how far we would have gotten into space on that money!

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 03:39 AM
link   
What use would money be?

If I obtained the smoking gun evidence for UFO's then I could call it a life. I mean that would be the ultimate move, what tops it??
I just want that footage, nothing else really matters. You guys can keep the money, I wouldn't know what to do with it anyways.

<<   2 >>

join