It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ask a "Christian"

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by maybee
I haven't been to church in a few years. We moved and I just got out of the habit of going. I do miss going, but just don't seem to have the energy to get ready on Sunday mornings. It seems to be the only day I have to get errands ran and such. I am interested in a Christian but non-denominational church near us and I was wondering what you think about the new "super churches" such as this one.

My best advice is to find individuals of like mind and spirit to grow and learn with. A fellowship is the most preferred option, not church. Learning the Bible should not be through one man, rather, discussions and shared experiences.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
And I'll say this, yet again, in this forum, "How is this an origins and Creationism CONSPIRACY discussion? This forum isn't a forum for general religious discussion. It's not a venue for faithful to share their experience with the Lord with others. And the whole 'ask a mason' 'I'm the anti-christ, ask me anything', 'ask a christian' ask a 24000 year old alien' sort of threads are standard fare on other sites, but come on, here?

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jitter

In my early years, yes, I was exposed nondenominationally. I quickly came to find that church-goers often times only live the life on Sunday. I picked up my cross and walked away.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Jadette

I opened the floor to ANY questions. That includes conspiracies of origins and creation.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghostt
reply to post by Agree2Disagree

I'll bite...

Full Disclosure: I am an athiest, and have been one since I was about 9 years old. My parents told me when I was growing up that it was up to me to choose what religion I wanted to follow, if any. They took me to a temple, a mosque, several churches, and allowed me to attend numerous services. In the end I came to the realization that I didn't buy any of it.

My question: Why do you, and more specifically, why should I, follow a deity that according to scripture is responsible for mass murder throughout history? (ie, Sodom/Gomorah, first born of Egypt, etc). Peeling away 2nd hand accounts in written scripture that may or may not be fabricated, what about the literally millions of people murdered in the name of this deity during the Crusades?

The argument usually given to me when I ask this question is "the people who led the crusades were misguided". However, I have never been able to have someone of the Christian faith able to explain to me how the crusades were misguided, but how their own method of following the religion is *not* misguided.

The crusades were not spiritual wars, rather, flesh wars. The crusades were waged in order to gain land, wealth, and ultimately power. Just like during the witch trials in which it was common law that if a land-owner passed from life the land is then given to the previous owner. In the event the previous owner is no longer living, none other than the church takes control of that property.

They were not misguided. They were properly guided by flesh.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by On the Edge

Hello A2D!...After tackling the latest questions and comments,let's get into the discussion of Predestination,if you will.

This is a tricky one,for sure,and I'm curious what others would have to say about it.

I guess to start off,"Do you believe some people were set apart before birth to believe,and others weren't?"

I'll be back soon!

We are all God's children. We all have unique obstacles we must overcome, but none is greater than the other. In short, no I do not believe that. Are we not all made in God's image?

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by skunknuts
Would Jesus most likely be for a not for profit universal single-payer health care system, or would he say that it is more important for insurance companies to be allowed to make profits and pay their executives many millions of dollars??? Thanks!

Jesus would most likely say it is important to follow the commandments set forth before you.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
To the OP.
Good on you mate for trying to take on some hard questions.

I'm not trying to offend you but I think you might be out of you league.

For serious minds try reading J.V McGee
He's a good start

Like everyone here I am looking for answers but I am at least smart enough to look outside of a message board. If you want answers they are there.

If you want to feel smart watch religulous, find someone with faith and little knowledge and make them feel dumb. Now smart guy explain to me gravity!

As Mcgee once said. There are 3 reasons I believe in G-d

"1. How can something come form nothing?" If you know please do tell~

" 2. How can something come to life?"

If you know please do tell~. PS If you know the Stanley Miller experiment you understand how off you can be.
17 of the 20 amino acids used in protein synthesis have been formed 40 years after his work. Do YOU understand this?
Let me go on

Abiotic synthesis of Ribose and thus of nucleotides has been much more difficult. However, success in synthesizing pyrimidine ribonucleotides under conditions that might have existed in the early earth has recently (Nature 14 May 2009) been reported.

www.nature.com...

It is IMPOSSIBLE!!
Lets Say we have formed all the amino acids in a lab, hold on, lets say they came to earth from a space ship~! [just as likely] How close are we to animating life? Do you know how many amino acids have to link up in a PERFECT order to create a protein molecule? Just then we would be a very, very far away from a living cell!
You would then need over a DOZEN Perfectly lined up protein molecules in the correct sequence to have a living cell!

Now here is the shocker!
Say you have all these ingredients together. YOU CAN NOT MAKE LIFE >

PERIOD

You would have a better chance at making a rock fall upward.

You see no Biologist in the world would even try to put all the building blocks of life into a test tube, shake them up and hope something happens. The problem is you can't make a living cell. I will put my house on the line if any one here can prove my wrong. You can't

"3. Turn life into humanity"
I will not explain this.

On a note
I am a not religious or have a faith doctrine.
I believe in Science with all my heart but take it for what is is and do not turn it religious.

If you want to learn you have to read all sides.

[edit on 21-11-2009 by Kargun]

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agree2Disagree

Originally posted by WeShallBeFree
A rapist/murderer/generic sinner spends his life making other peoples lives a misery. One day he kills a man who has devoted his life to helping other people and has never commited a crime in his life. The man who was murdered, by the Christian logic, goes straight to hell for not believing in the Christian God. However 1 year later on death row the killer repents and goes to heaven.

This is a hypothetical situation but it illustrates my question, how can God concider this fair?

(Don't get me wrong, I believe in a creator but not one as cruel as the Christian God who seems more evil than good.)

~J

Faith without fruit is no faith at all.

If you are referring to my faith then why are you assuming there is no fruit? Frankly I see Christianity as more of a threat than an offer of a reward e.g. "Follow me or burn in hell" which is such a beautiful message from a 'loving' God.

This brings me to another question, if you don't mind. Do you really think a religion should be based on fear? Fear which prevents us from questioning the bible or exploring other possibilities? Sorry if it sounds like I'm grilling you a bit, I just love a debate on this topic

Peace & Love

~J

[edit on 21-11-2009 by WeShallBeFree]

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeShallBeFree

If you are referring to my faith then why are you assuming there is no fruit? Frankly I see Christianity as more of a threat than an offer of a reward e.g. "Follow me or burn in hell" which is such a beautiful message from a 'loving' God.

This brings me to another question, if you don't mind. Do you really think a religion should be based on fear? Fear which prevents us from questioning the bible or exploring other possibilities? Sorry if it sounds like I'm grilling you a bit, I just love a debate on this topic

Peace & Love

~J

Christianity is the work of man. Faith allows for the spirit which does the work of, you guessed it, the spirit.

Religion has been separating the masses for years. This is NOT what was meant. It is truly an easy system once one comes to understand it.

You are free to question all you like. You do not learn and grow if you do not question.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kargun
To the OP.
Good on you mate for trying to take on some hard questions.

I'm not trying to offend you but I think you might be out of you league.

For serious minds try reading J.V McGee
He's a good start

Like everyone here I am looking for answers but I am at least smart enough to look outside of a message board. If you want answers they are there.

If you want to feel smart watch religulous, find someone with faith and little knowledge and make them feel dumb. Now smart guy explain to me gravity!

As Mcgee once said. There are 3 reasons I believe in G-d

"1. How can something come form nothing?" If you know please do tell~

" 2. How can something come to life?"

If you know please do tell~. PS If you know the Stanley Miller experiment you understand how off you can be.
17 of the 20 amino acids used in protein synthesis have been formed 40 years after his work. Do YOU understand this?
Let me go on

Abiotic synthesis of Ribose and thus of nucleotides has been much more difficult. However, success in synthesizing pyrimidine ribonucleotides under conditions that might have existed in the early earth has recently (Nature 14 May 2009) been reported.

www.nature.com...

It is IMPOSSIBLE!!
Lets Say we have formed all the amino acids in a lab, hold on, lets say they came to earth from a space ship~! [just as likely] How close are we to animating life? Do you know how many amino acids have to link up in a PERFECT order to create a protein molecule? Just then we would be a very, very far away from a living cell!
You would then need over a DOZEN Perfectly lined up protein molecules in the correct sequence to have a living cell!

Now here is the shocker!
Say you have all these ingredients together. YOU CAN NOT MAKE LIFE >

PERIOD

You would have a better chance at making a rock fall upward.

You see no Biologist in the world would even try to put all the building blocks of life into a test tube, shake them up and hope something happens. The problem is you can't make a living cell. I will put my house on the line if any one here can prove my wrong. You can't

"3. Turn life into humanity"
I will not explain this.

On a note
I am a not religious or have a faith doctrine.
I believe in Science with all my heart but take it for what is is and do not turn it religious.

If you want to learn you have to read all sides.

[edit on 21-11-2009 by Kargun]

You are correct. I am out of my flesh's comfort zone(my league). I answer to the best of my ability and out of the honesty of my heart. Take it as you will. I am blessed but not all-knowing.

Blessings friend.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I'm curious.

As a follower of Christ, what do you think about the theories of alien involvement in the creation/manipulation of humanity, including the suggestion/accusation that Jesus was 'enlightened by them'.

It's been a topic on boards like this for a long time, but I can't recall ever seeing an open response from a self-labeled 'Christian'. I would like to know how this sort of information is generally perceived by those who consider themselves to be religious.

Any insight would be accepted and appreciated.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by eMachine
I'm curious.

As a follower of Christ, what do you think about the theories of alien involvement in the creation/manipulation of humanity, including the suggestion/accusation that Jesus was 'enlightened by them'.

It's been a topic on boards like this for a long time, but I can't recall ever seeing an open response from a self-labeled 'Christian'. I would like to know how this sort of information is generally perceived by those who consider themselves to be religious.

Any insight would be accepted and appreciated.

Very good question. Obviously, for the skeptics out there, I am not going to be able to prove anything here. However, my opinion is that it's just one more "logical" disapproval of God which is so abundant in todays society. The original extra-terrestrial-biblical movement was obviously inspired by an individual who used the flesh/mind to interpret the Word.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by radarloveguy
... just gonna drop in a couple of observations...

The Bible is full of parables - read between the lines
- the universe may have been created in six days , but , one day is
as a thousand years to God.

People use the parables and non-literal excuse far too often; if a verse, such as in Genesis 6 speaking to Noah, includes quotes from God, then it HAS to be taken as literal... either that or the people who wrote the Bible faked quotes from God!

Also in Genesis, God mentions a day as the setting and rising of the sun. "Day" here is clearly one rotation of the Earth, by definition and God's own words! (Ironically the planet Earth wasn't created until the third day - making this yet another fallacy in the Bible).

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agree2Disagree

Originally posted by On the Edge

Hello A2D!...After tackling the latest questions and comments,let's get into the discussion of Predestination,if you will.

This is a tricky one,for sure,and I'm curious what others would have to say about it.

I guess to start off,"Do you believe some people were set apart before birth to believe,and others weren't?"

I'll be back soon!

We are all God's children. We all have unique obstacles we must overcome, but none is greater than the other. In short, no I do not believe that. Are we not all made in God's image?

When you claim being a "Christian" are you, in fact, claiming you know the wisdom of God? You are making statements that clearly do not align with the Bible. A previous interaction I had with you [Noah and animals] ended with you coming up with some random claim that is not even implied in the Bible!

The following verses FROM THE BIBLE show that God does in fact have favorites and treats even twin brothers in the womb differently!

25:23 And the LORD said unto her, Two nations are in thy womb, and two manner of people shall be separated from thy bowels; and the one people shall be stronger than the other people; and the elder shall serve the younger.

25:24 And when her days to be delivered were fulfilled, behold, there were twins in her womb.

25:25 And the first came out red, all over like an hairy garment; and they called his name Esau.

25:26 And after that came his brother out, and his hand took hold on Esau's heel; and his name was called Jacob: and Isaac was threescore years old when she bare them.

If you are simply praying on these questions and coming up with answers with your intuition or from God, you ARE NOT a Christian! Wise individual, spiritual man, yes - Christian? Give it up already and go join a Unitarian Universalist group where your wisdom will be appreciated and not scorned for claiming mistruths.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by notreallyalive

Call me what you want. It doesn't matter because I know what IAM.

Did you ever think that that is just God relaying the natural dominance that occurs within humanity? We are indeed not all created equal. I cannot run as fast as olympians, just for one example.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Iikthis topic...a Christian topic that doesn't involve the OP getting all tied up and angry

so yeah I have one

I am a Pagan...follower of the goddess Isis

What do you say (and trust you me you can't offend me) but what do you say to a person like me who has seen her, talke to her, and felt her in the same manner followers of Christ have felt him?

-Kyo

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

Friend, I can only say that there are many names for the Spirit.

The Chosen One, The Elect One, The Messiah, King of the Jews, Son of Man, Son of God...these are just a few names for one man. How many others do you think exist for the Spirit.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
The problem is I am pretty darn sure the woman I feel is not the God of Christianity

I am not by any means afraid of being wrong here but what I feel now is far from what I felt of Christ. Now I did indeed say it was the same so I should clarify...I mean that I feel Isis in the same intensity that you feel Christ or God not in the same manner (as in not that it is the same entity)

-Kyo

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

There are many spirits, many angels, many demons, all from ONE source. They each possess their own uniqueness and they can all be experienced differently.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join