It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is why food safety is essential and important to reduce death

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 06:24 AM
link   
This happened several years ago though common sense is obviously not so common.

Leaving cooked pasta on a kitchen counter for 5 days, and microwaving it and eating it is asking for trouble.

I worked in commercial Kitchens, and have my food safety supervisor certificate.

It taught me alot. I always wear gloves when handling raw meats, change gloves when changing from chicken to pork to beef.

Wash hands in between food processes, glove up ever at home.

This poor kid had no idea, pasta and rice are high risk and should not be reused even the next day.

Throw it out.
www.news.com.au... 7ec13924438e0146b

Thought from the article. People are shocked he died?
It goes to show how ill informed tok tok and redfitbusers are.

Rules are if it smells funky, has mould, or looks bad throw it out.

Don’t be lazy and cook a fresh batch.

edit on 13-9-2023 by robsmith because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I didn’t know that either, survived so far but will be a little more careful in future

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Golden rule is, below 4 degrees Celsius for cold food or minimum 90 Celsius for hot food.

I got sick once from an undercooked chicken at a relatives house.

Had the runs for days.

This is a good website to skill up for food safety, its Australian based though the learnings could be useful to any one.

dofoodsafely.health.vic.gov.au...

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Refrigerate leftovers and toss after 3 days in the fridge, except fish, one day at best.

I had no clue pasta and rice could be that dangerous. I've picked off mold spots from bread and cheese before, got to be pretty desperate to eat things like that though.

There are fungal pathogens that will poison foods and no amount of cooking, conventional or microwave, will eliminate that. It could be on food ingredients as well, not just leftovers. If livestock are fed infected grains, the toxins can build up in the live animals as well.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

3 days is ideal for cooked meats, veggies are a bit suspect.

Though fish we would try to use on the day, and eat it all.

Though corned beef is good for a few days.

Now the cost of living is jacking up, I am only getting enough for meal to meal for the family.

Any dairy i would be weary of after expiry.

Though cheese cloth is great for cheese storage helps wick the moisture off the cheese to reduce mould.

Worst thing was meal moths that some how got in to the pantry, never had them until I bough a couple of bags of flour.

Took a while to eradicate them with moth traps. I didn’t want to use chemicals.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: robsmith

They have a chocolate crackle recipe on that site.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 10:10 AM
link   
We're Italian...there's never leftover pasta!

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 10:21 AM
link   

It goes to show how ill informed tok tok and redfitbusers are.

You realize that both organizations are now owned by China. They also own General Motors and General Electric

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Would you please help me to convince my spouse that leaving cooked bacon in a ziplock bag on the kitchen counter for a week is a health risk?

We have had this ongoing argument for 14 years!

Spouse thinks cooked bacon = jerky. 🤮

#putitinthefridge

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I am in the middle of my second food poisoning sickness I would guess in just a month. I have never had anything like this in the past, but both a few weeks ago and now, I am just so weak, POUNDING headache 24/7, and I am SO INCREDIBLY dehydrated (and I’m either in Greece or Arizona, so dehydration REALLY effs with your head and all in these very hot dry places) but I cannot even get a sip of ROOM TEMPERATURE WATER DOWN…not one sip of anything and I’m sitting here in near tears just begging god to let me drink something. But by the time I have a sip and a minute or two pass, I am just projectile vomiting liquid, watery liquid, as I try to make it to the bathroom…however i am always very much empty by the time I make it to the bathroom and buckets of water are all over the tile and carpet. I thought I was feeling better this am so I had tiny sips of water but fifteen mi. Later and a quarter way into the bottle, I just blow vomit everywhere soaking myself and toning the flooring. And I am even wondering if I need to go to the emergency room just because I mean it, if God does not allow me to have a sip of liquid for yet another day, I don’t feel like I’ll be alive in the morning. But then, I can’t take IV liquids either so even that is just a big tease.

Anyone ever have a sickness like this? Is it viral? Bacterial? Food poisoning? I popped a few Cipros and Sulfamethoxazoles in case it’s an infection but I am so desperate for drink I’m wishing I’d go ahead and die at this point. Torture!

posted on Sep, 14 2023 @ 02:02 AM
link   
When should I go to a doctor?
Make an appointment with your doctor if:

Severe diarrhea lasts for more than 3 days
Frequent vomiting lasts for more than 2 days
You see blood in your stool
You are on diuretics and have diarrhea, nausea, or vomiting
You have a fever over 101°F
Seek emergency care if:
Your stool is maroon or black or you see a lot of blood in your stool
You are vomiting blood
You are having trouble breathing
You have severe abdominal pain or stomach cramping
You have double vision or trouble moving parts of your body
You have symptoms of severe dehydration (see the list below)
You have trouble swallowing
You feel like your heart is pounding
You have food poisoning from eating mushrooms or shellfish
familydoctor.org...

Is food poisoning a serious condition?
It can be. Dehydration can be dangerous, and so can certain types of food poisoning. Food poisoning caused by the Listeria bacteria can be very dangerous for the unborn babies of pregnant women. The infection is usually very mild for the mother, but can cause miscarriage, premature labor, stillbirth, and developmental problems in their babies. People who have weakened immune systems are also at risk of developing complications from Listeria. Food poisoning caused by Escherichia coli (E. coli) bacteria can cause hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS). HUS can cause kidney failure, especially in people who have weakened immune systems.

How do I know if I’m dehydrated?
Symptoms of dehydration include:

Little or no urine, or urine that is darker than usual
Dry mouth
Sleepiness or fatigue
Extreme thirst
Headache
Confusion
Feeling dizzy or lightheaded
No tears when crying
To treat mild dehydration, try taking frequent sips of water. Clear soups, clear sodas, and juice mixed with water can also help. Avoid coffee, tea, dark sodas, and other caffeinated drinks. These drinks can make dehydration worse. An ORS contains the right mix of salt, sugar, potassium, and other nutrients to help replace lost body fluids. You can buy an ORS at most grocery stores and drugstores. If your dehydration is severe, you may need to be treated in the hospital. There, doctors will give you intravenous (through an IV) fluids and electrolytes.

edit on 14-9-2023 by Whatchful because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2023 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Omg I had no idea that the meat I left out on my patio inside my grill could be contaminated after leaving it there for a week even after microwave it. OMG I can’t believe it. Are you also suggesting that I should refrigerate milk too? Who would have thought.

Bro seriously what is the point of this thread, I have a servsafe certificate also (however since you can’t even name the actual certificate I highly doubt you have it) but any idoit knows to refrigerate anything that has been cooked above 120 degrees so idk the point of this. Other than you to pretend you have a serve safe certificate which you couldn’t even name in the OP so doubt you have it.
edit on 14-9-2023 by Parcus41 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2023 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Food safety certified certificate? Bro that’s not what’s is called anyone who actually as taken the test knows the actual name of it which is the servsafe certificate….you just proved your just a waiter and not a cool and have never worked in a real kitchen. I managed a restaurant for 7 years and people like you who pretend to know how a real commercial kitchen work but don’t even know the name of the actually certification is makes you a laughing stock to the real management out there doing everything they can to make out food safe.

posted on Sep, 14 2023 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Or even wine ... buying 3 liters, because you never know another lockdown may come (and in SA booze and tobacco were banned).

Now with box-wine, true, a lot less trash, but once opened it turns sour very quickly.

"Oh Bacchus, Lord of wine,
Let this not be noxious brine".

posted on Sep, 14 2023 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Parcus41

Wow you’re full of beans. No idea where you are in Australia that’s what it is before accusing me of a falsehood please research.

You must be new here. No threads, did you just join to criticise?

In my country it us stated as:

go.foodsafetyfirst.com.au... mpaign=FSF-B2C-22A-C2E-003_BMA-Search-Generic-VIC-Melbourne&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=ppc&hsa_acc=F110EENU&hsa_cam=18895200861&hsa_grp=13425054229391 63&hsa_ad=&hsa_o&hsa_tgt=kwd-83907643053637:loc-112413&hsa_kw=food%20safety%20supervisor%20course%20online&hsa_mt=b&hsa_net=bing&hsa_ver=3&city=melbou rne®ion=vic&msclkid=b76b629d982c1bf406de079ee0c12ba3&utm_content=FSF_BMA_Search_Generic_Food%20Safety%20Supervisor%20Course

Different names for the same thing.
edit on 14-9-2023 by robsmith because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-9-2023 by robsmith because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2023 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Whatchful

Thankyou that is really great advice. With symptoms of food poisoning it can be difficult to pinpoint whether it’s food poisoning or something else.

posted on Sep, 14 2023 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Your post is so timely. There is an outbreak of e-coli in Calgary, Alberta right now involving children at daycares - all from one source.

- 310 people have now tested positive for E. coli, up from 264 yesterday
- Of those, 20 patients, all of them children, are battling hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS), a severe complication of shiga-toxin producing E. coli. Seven children are on dialysis.

So, because of poor sanitation, improper food handling and cockroaches now some innocent kids are going to be affected for life. It's disgusting. This food kitchen has been shut down in the past. It's so upsetting.

www.cbc.ca...

posted on Sep, 14 2023 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Whatchful

I just read the News article. That is so devastating, the poor children needing blood work and transfusions, and dialysis.

Pray that there are no lifelong complications.

The way the kitchen was described, is so wrong.

Particularly they have failed other inspections.

Though you gotta be so careful. I went to a large out door event, which was neighboured by cattle grazing.

There were high winds blowing dust everywhere, I went to get food at a food truck. All of the food trucks were covered on dust, and even the food service areas.

Didn’t eat at all, don’t want listeria poisoning.

posted on Sep, 14 2023 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Exactly - I'm not a diehard and will eat something if it falls on the floor... my floor. But, if I have anyone come to my house for a meal then I'm using bleach, not tasting with same spoon, not double dipping, following all food regulations. For a business that is responsible for children... little children, this is appalling. They should be shut down and sued.

Anyway, I'm of the same mind: don't drink local water in other countries, watch the conditions you're eating in, etc. Don't drink from streams. My Mom has a habit of not refrigerating food or eating the food that has thawed in her freezer or storing frozen meals in her vegetable fridge drawer. She just returned from a 3 week holiday and thought that eating the cooked leftover ribs in her fridge was a good idea.

And, anytime someone has constant diarrhea or vomiting make sure one replenishes with electrolytes. Or a heavy sweater, elderly. This is so, so important.

posted on Sep, 15 2023 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: AlexandrosTheGreat

How are you feeling now? Hope you are on your way to better

top topics

<<   2 >>

join