It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

dreaming in hebrew?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
???

ok,

let me explain.

i just started learning the hebrew language (ancient and biblical) and now i find myself dreaming in it. i know i've always been interested in learning hebrew, but now it seems to be creeping into every area of my life, including my dreams. see, even my real name is in hebrew. basically, i dreamed i was talking to a friend, just carrying on a casual conversation, and it was all in hebrew!

i only knew one word out of all that was said during that conversation, but i could tell it was hebrew by the sound and structure of the words.

so...

any ideas or explanations?

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by bobbyboy

Interesting. It might be easier for you to pick up if you have spoken hebrew in a previous lifetime. Some of that subconcious kicking in. Maybe I will look into learning a few words.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by bobbyboy
any ideas or explanations?

a lot of people believe that your brain uses dreaming to sort and sift the information it takes in throughout the day. your brain is learning and sorting out the structure of the language, so you can hear sounds in your dreams that "sound" right.

it's good, it probably means you're mind is doing a good job processing the information you are learning.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I once had a dream that I could understand what a dog was barking,and he was speaking to me about the color of paint on my walls. Sadly, Dogs do not have language, and it was my subconscious creating it's own reality.

My guess is that you are experiencing the same type of thing.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by HankMcCoy

What color are your walls painted?

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   

well, no, because i did the same thing with spanish when i was learning that. so my guess,as is my teacher's, is that i'm picking up on the different sounds and sturcture of the very essence of the language. it's like a natural linguistic ability, but i don't know, maybe it's a gift i've had all along.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   

It could just be that your brain's subconscious is trying really hard to work through the language and "figure" it out or relieve stress. This would especially be true if you're working hard on it.

When I started to learn German, though I couldn't speak it, I would dream in it sometimes because I was totally surrounded by it and I was actively trying to learn it really hard. Dreaming in it was a way for my brain to deal with the stress and overwhelmingness of trying to learn a language quickly.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12.21.12

What color are your walls painted?

Beige.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   

well, no, because i did the same thing with spanish when i was learning that. so my guess,as is my teacher's, is that i'm picking up on the different sounds and sturcture of the very essence of the language. it's like a natural linguistic ability, but i don't know, maybe it's a gift i've had all along.

Then it seems like you already have the answer to your question.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I sometimes have dreams completely in french. I took french for two years but I have had strange dreams where I am speaking in russian?

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I'v had dreams in perfect english, and mine is far away of being perfect IMHO

The weirdest one was one when i was a manager of some sort and I was in charge to guide a band (idk who they were) through my city. Weird thing is that everyone was talking in english, even the people of my own country =s

I took it as I was staying too much on ATS lately (since I started to post and read here, my english is getting better =) )

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Not that weird, I don't think. I had the same problem when I started learning German. I would occasionally lapse into speaking German when talking in english, I've had a few dreams in German... A little disconcerting, but i'd assume it's part and parcel with "installing the software"

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I think I know why I have had dreams where I am speaking in russian beimg on here and reading the many articles about the urkarine. I always translate them but at first I look at it. I have no clue what the articles say though. Isn't that weird?

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   

I think it happens often. I remember when I started studying Latin I woke up one morning reciting the Latin declinations of a series of nouns. And it was perfectly correct, as it turned out!

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by HankMcCoy
Sadly, Dogs do not have language

What do you mean? Of course they have a language.
Man may not understand it, but that's man's problem....

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
It's funny that this thread came up because I wanted to post one on dreams. I have had dreams like the OP and others where I can fly. I even had one where I had a laser weapon and was having fun cutting down the telephone poles on my street. And then there are the interactive one's (which I like ) where every time I enter into a pink room I am suddenly self aware and can interact in the dream for however long I wish to. Why that is I don't know.

So if I may expand on the OP's first posting to this thread. When we dream, do we somehow enter an alternate dimension or universal reality, such as a parallel universe ? Do we at sleep somehow drift amongst the many different possible realities that exist, if but for a time, only to be awakened to this one by our physical nature ? Are these dreams actual real places, just as real as the one we inhabit ?

[edit on 20-11-2009 by Fromabove]

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Ethereal Gargoyle

language is man's sort of means of communication. if anything, animals communicate, but they do not have a language, as man cannot understand it.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   

I work with dogs. I can tell you that they do have language. That language is measured in the sound of the pitch of the bark. The length of the sound and intensity. The whine has several meanings and the growl has many too. For instance many might not know that when a dog makes a sharp irritating yip that is repetitive it is actually imitating a human baby. The smart dog has learned that a baby's call brings immediate attention and it works every time.
Dogs also use body language just like humans do. Humans speak with the mouth and the body almost all the time. So do dogs. Having lived with humans for as long as they have they are good imitators of humans.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   

reply to post by Ethereal Gargoyle

language is man's sort of means of communication. if anything, animals communicate, but they do not have a language, as man cannot understand it.

That would be like saying Eskimos don't have a language because *I* don't understand it.

Or that mute people do not have a language.

Language is by definition ANY systematic means of communication. It doesn't even have to be verbal.

Animals DO have each their own language; and what's more, they understand other species' languages.

Man is the only species who doesn't understand anyone's language.
But that's man's problem.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
ah, but who says that animals understand us? who's to say it's not just the tone we use that decides what they hear? keep in mind that animals and humans used to understand each other. only problem is, Adam and Eve could understand them, and only a few people since then have heard animals speak.

and by the way, what if you are wrong?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join