It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Name the last war fought for YOUR freedoms!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
All this talk about we owe our freedom to the soldiers risking their lives... but for what? They aren't risking their lives for YOUR freedom, or of ANYONE YOU know... odds are, in my view. But since this thinking is used daily by so many millions let us at least figure out the last time a war was actually fought for our very own personal freedom.

BONUS: List what it is that makes you think you're actually free. I mean, if they are actually fighting for our own personal liberties, what has their sacrifice gotten us all? Has whatever it is we think they fought for actually been worth it?

[edit on 20-10-2009 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
The last two world wars sort of qualify but with major allowances for.........well no never mind.

The last war that had significance was woman' suffrage/equal rights.

If you mean shooting and dying with declared armies., the civil war.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

World War 2 maybe. But thats only a possibly, one can assume what would have happened if we didn't join, but the truth is we don't know.

I can say for sure, the revolutionary war, and it's related wars with the british.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   
The last real war fought for our freedom?

I would have to say the American Revolution. If you ask me about the Civil War, I thoroughly believe that it could have been avoided, and don't give me the hoopla that it was fought to free the slaves. Every other nation on the planet phased slavery out without going to war. Wasn't the Civil war mostly fought for political reasons anyways?

Bonus:

To make it short we are not really as free as we might think. I believe that we are under the illusion that we are free, i.e we can express ourselves however we want, we can protest, we can buy whatever we want (last part makes me sick) but honestly guys, come on. Do our protests even matter anymore? Does anyone pay attention? Wasn't there a massive anti-war rally at the hill that went completely ignored by MSM?

And think about this one: If we were truly free? Wouldn't all drugs be legal?
Just a thought. (Not trying to start anything with this comment, no flames please.)

S&F

Edit: Spelling

[edit on 20-10-2009 by Shamrock87]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I'd have to say the American Revolutionary War , but I'm also smart enough to know I don't know
I mean who really knows the true motives TPTB have for wars. Seems like I learn some new agenda for a war all the time, whether true or false how would I know, I wasn't there.

But yeah, I think the American Revolutionary War, but Im American so thats a pretty biased answer.

[edit on 10/20/2009 by JohnnyR]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Shamrock87

Unfortunetly I think you're right, sigh, Maybe War for Freedom is just one big oxymoron....

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   

As George Carlin put it...

"Want to fight about your rights? Look up Japanese, 1940s. They had rights, the right this way into the internment camp."

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

Boy oh Boy Carlin had a way of putting things didn't he? Like, "Its called the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." or something like that.

P.S. edit to add, Im not laughing at the fact of Internment camps for Japanese. more of a cry/laugh/shake head in disbelief......

[edit on 10/20/2009 by JohnnyR]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj

As George Carlin put it...

"Want to fight about your rights? Look up Japanese, 1940s. They had rights, the right this way into the internment camp."

We have a Winner!!!

Right when those people needed their freedoms the most.... The government took them away.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyR

He did. Great comedian, and told things how they were. He was cynical.. but offered reality.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Their actually has never been a war fought for the freedom of the American people as a whole. The revolutionary war and all other wars have been fought to keep the elite in charge. Just because you get to vote for 1 of 2 people picked by the elite does not mean your vote means diddly squat.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

Let us not forget that something important happened after 9/11 both locally for me and nationwide. Housewives across this country helped their islamic/muslim friends go to the store. We had groups there to assure that the anger and fear people had was not misdirected at the innocent mothers and wives.

I would like to point out, that some of us learn from history.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Doomsday 2029

The best part is.. That they pretty much changed the fact that it was an entire group of people that got deprived of their rights simply because they immigrated or descended from a certain nation.

Now kids are taught that the US government took them in and protected them from angry citizens. Yup, did it for their own good. Land of the free...

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I think you all need to have a quick read of this:

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Seiko

I'm glad we did. No doubt it was probably somewhat due to racism back then.

It's easy to discriminate against a certain group of people, when they are not your friends.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   
The American Revolution for sure.

Maybe the Civil War but it depends on how you look at it- a war over slavery or a war over State's rights.

The rest were preemptive. But isn't the best defense a good offense?

In all honesty though, as a Soldier I know that saying that I'm "fighting for freedom" is a pretty good stretch. Saying that I'm fighting for the interests of the American people is a stretch too. I can't say that anything I've done over there has made any discernable impact on the lives of anyone here, other than add to the debt.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoranceIsntBlisss
All this talk about we owe our freedom to the soldiers risking their lives... but for what? They aren't risking their lives for YOUR freedom, or of ANYONE YOU know... odds are, in my view.

SNIP

IMO - your question is flawed. Soldiers don't fight for ONE person's personal freedom. Personal freedom is "your" job to protect. Soldiers fight at the order of the country for which they serve. Feels like the "angst" is aimed at the wrong crew, with this question. Maybe if it had been aimed at country or government, it would make more sense.

*shrug*

Ed: quotes around "your" meant as a collective term

[edit on 20-10-2009 by LadySkadi]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Blah, when are the good people of this world going to get a chance to live in real peace and freedom you guys? The more I learn about our history the more I wonder if we stand a chance. Yeah it seems more and more people are waking up to the fact we're not really all that free, but I mean I mainly see it here on ATS. Maybe its our turn soon

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyR
Blah, when are the good people of this world going to get a chance to live in real peace and freedom you guys? The more I learn about our history the more I wonder if we stand a chance. Yeah it seems more and more people are waking up to the fact we're not really all that free, but I mean I mainly see it here on ATS. Maybe its our turn soon

Wouldn't that be just great if we lived in a world where everyone thought logically and no one hated anyone? Jeez, I hope we can save the world man!

See Signature Below

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Seiko

Yeah, allowances...

I dont recall any women dying over suffrage, but very creative. It takes some actual wisdom to even up such.

Civil war... which side???

Thanks for all that. We're on the same page sir!

Originally posted by JohnnyR
...but Im American so thats a pretty biased answer.

Hmm...

So you're from the Western Hemisphere? I think "America" covers 2 continents?
Sorry, I'm a stickler.

Originally posted by Doomsday 2029
Right when those people needed their freedoms the most.... The government took them away.

Yeah... the funny thing about the idea of freedom... its not free if its a right... but how can you have a right or a freedom if it can be given or taken away?!?!?!?!

Originally posted by LadySkadi
IMO - your question is flawed. Soldiers don't fight for ONE person's personal freedom. Personal freedom is your job to protect. Soldiers fight at the order of the country for which they serve.

Oh, I get you... but all the time on the radio, and just today on this site I read 'I'm so grateful to the soldiers that I wouldnt have my freedoms were it not for them', or whatever.

[edit on 20-10-2009 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join