It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Halloween, and Day of The Dead in Guatemala

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Hi ATS,

It's almost Halloween again, and I thought I would share with all here what another culture does for the same general holiday. In Latin America, Halloween is not so much of the celebration as is the next day, or Day of The Dead. I wanted to primarily share because I remember the first time I crossed the southern US border. It was like hell on Earth; it felt this way because I simply was out of my element; my culture was "checked" at the border, and suddenly it was all entirely different. Possibly, in sharing this it will help People understand that because something is different it isn't exactly bad. I do speak from experience, the Elites in control of the USA want my fellow Americans to remain ignorant to the rest of the World, and they want it this way for deviant gains. Out of ignorance spawns fear, out of fear spawns anger, and finally hate. This needs to change the World over. So, here goes with the Day of The Dead.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/338f3d52f5b3.jpg[/atsimg]
The Day of the Dead has been practiced in Latin America for several hundred years, and is primarily dominated with Catholic roots; as that was the religion forced on the People. In Guatemala it starts out with crowded cemeteries(both living, and dead), and family celebrations of fallen family members. It was from the above photo that I learned something of a dark nature that was perpetrated by the Elites who own, and control the USA amongst a few other countries. A disproportionate amount of the dates on the graves were from the early 1980's; in the heat of a "supposed" civil war.

The truth is that back in the mid 1950's the CIA perpetrated a military coup; which was ordered by the Elites who owned the United Fruit Company, and Chiquita Banana. Of course, it is the same ole' line of crud we are fed today. It was for liberation of a suppressed Peoples; the "preemptive strike" was necessary to ensure the Peoples freedom to slave away for the fruit companies.

This is in fact where the very famous, and cool T-Shirts labeled "Banana Republic" comes from. Most don't know the bloody history behind those "Oh, so cool" T's. Any ways, the truth behind the military coup in Guatemala was because the truly democratically elected government of the People were getting ready to give the Globalists, and their nefarious corporations the boot, or kick them out. That obviously wasn't allowable; so a war of "liberation", and blood was created.

This war was not successful as the People fought back the entire time; not only in Guatemala, but in other Central, and South American countries, where the Elites had their CIA perpetrate other military coups for other nefarious reasons. The Guatemalan Civil War created by the Elites' minions, or the CIA, who were funded the entire time by US Taxpayer lasted up until the mid 90's. President Bill Clinton visited during his tenure as US President. He offered apologies on behalf of the US People(go figure the elites do something, and make an apology from the People???) for the genocide of between 200,000 to 1 million People, at the hands of the US puppet government of Guatemala. Interestingly enough, at the time of President Bill Clinton's apology the US Govt. was still funding the continual Genocide via graduates of the School of Americas training, arming, and placement of killing squads.

In Guatemala these guys were the Kaibiles; which is pronounced Ki-beel(es). I have had the displeasure of meeting several of these guys. The training employed by the US School of Americas created absolute monsters. One of the findings of the UN commission founded to investigate the atrocities was this: "The Kaibil is a killing machine."

I am not sure of the present employment of the various ones I've met, but the inductees of the School of America's usually end in positions associated with the CIA controlled drug cartels of Latin America. They are particularly dangerous in my opinion as their English learned during their training at the School of America's is impeccable; usually complete with "Slang". Also, of note is they laugh at any thought of war crime charges of genocide being filed at the Hague; as most have had their military folders wiped clean. Only now showing service; not training, rank, missions, or classifications.(of note: many of these dudes carry duel nationalities with the States)

I mentioned the above because it has become an intrinsic Evil part of the recent past; as many of those honored on the Day of The Dead lost their lives, and spilt their life's blood due to Evil People's desires. The same People in charge of the USA currently.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/70e06d8dddfe.jpg[/atsimg]
The above is a huge wooden float carried by at least 100 men. It is part of a the massive Catholic "Processiones"; which occur during the Day of The Dead. The "Processiones" only become larger for Christmas, New Years, and Easter.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1d1b4ab691c0.jpg[/atsimg]
Different angle of the float(they have a proper name, but it escapes me). I would estimate the weight of these being in, and around 5000lbs.; as they are solid wood. During the different "Processiones" they have floats to fit all sizes, ages, and gender. There are women, and children float "Processiones"; all part of the majority Catholic Religion. These things have been done from what I understand 100's of years.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/80310f85ea13.jpg[/atsimg]
Er, this is me on a bike. I was trapped there as they closed the street off for the float. It's quite embarrassing being the big "gringo" who is in the way of the Procession making the corner easily. The corners are particularly difficult as it takes backing up several times since the float is close to 40 feet long.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0f6aa9395593.jpg[/atsimg]
This is the Kite festival; which is also part of the Day of The Dead celebrations. I am not sure how long the kites have been around as part of the festivities. I am under the belief that the kites, and Day of The Dead were around before the Catholic Conquistadors conquered; so that would make the rituals shown here extremely old, and the remnants of ancient traditions.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bdaf0c72c2a3.jpg[/atsimg]
The Kites are massive; some reaching diameters of 36 feet. They are made from bamboo frames; many of the bamboo shoots are close to 7 inches in diameter, and upwards of 35 feet long. The fabric on the face of the kites are made from some type of paper. They have intricate decorations of bygone eras. Many of the kites honor the Mayan God ofQuetzalcoatl
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dfa81d29aea1.jpg[/atsimg]
Another large part in Day of The Dead is remembering Ernesto "Che" Guevara. The shirt I am wearing in that photo has actually saved my butt a few times. The man is a folk legend throughout Latin America. He started out a doctor, and a poet, but upon seeing the carnage of Elite Imperialism throughout his South American continent, started out in Guatemala trying to help. In the beginning Che´only trying to limit death, and in the end is credited with creating one of the leading foundations of thought regarding guerrilla warfare. Without the guerrilla warfare techniques taught by him, Latin America today would be entirely different; it would be a complete Orwellian Hell of the Elites, and their New World Order. He is actually honored on the Day of The Dead by thousands in Guatemala. He was tortured to death in Bolivia at the hands of CIA operatives.

The days of US domination has waned in Central, and South America, but the scars are skin deep, and come out especially around the Halloween holidays; as it is the day to remember those whose life force has gone.

From my experience in, and around many of these parts the People are welcoming of the average US American, but have said good bye to the US in regards to "Liberation", or preemptive "love" strikes of "peace".

Peace,

Sancho

ps. Unfortunately, it is better to say Your from Canada when asked
......I'm totally serious when I say the treatment is 100 times better when I say I'm from Canada

[edit on 13-10-2009 by sanchoearlyjones]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Wow amazing! Thanks for sharing this. I have heard of it but never really knew the meaning or anything really about it.

S&F!

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Thank You for the compliment. I am glad that at least one Person found the presented material is incredibly interesting. Thanks again.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by sanchoearlyjones

I appreciate the information sanchoearlyjones, I always thought Holloween was a Pagan holiday.

Halloween has origins in the ancient Celtic festival known as Samhain [pronounced: sow- wen] (Irish pronunciation: [ˈsˠaunʲ]; from the Old Irish samhain, possibly derived from Gaulish samonios).[5] The festival of Samhain is a celebration of the end of the harvest season in Gaelic culture, and is sometimes[6] regarded as the "Celtic New Year".[7] Traditionally, the festival was a time used by the ancient Celtic pagans to take stock of supplies and slaughter livestock for winter stores. The ancient Celts believed that on October 31 the boundary between the world and the otherworld dissolved, and the dead become dangerous for the living by causing problems such as sickness or damage to crops. The festival frequently involved bonfires into which the bones of slaughtered livestock were thrown.[citation needed] The wearing of costumes and masks at Halloween goes back to the Celtic traditions of attempting to copy the evil spirits or to placate them. In Scotland the dead were impersonated by young men with masked, veiled or blackened faces, while dressed in white.[8][9]
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Your right, it is a Pagan holiday. In the thread I mentioned the manner in which the majority of it is celebrated is in the roots of the Catholic Church. However, the kite festival, and other festivities are in a more Pagan style. Thanks for the post.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Wow! I will never see 'Banana Republic' the same.

As a very young child I lived in Guatemala...many many years ago and actually learned spanish before english, for what that is worth, lol.

Anyway, it has always been dear to my heart and I appreciate learning these traditions.

Thanks Sancho

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   

You are very welcome, I have been researching the Gnostic's aka: Pagans for sometime now, my interest started in 2005 when I heard an interview that John Lamb Lash did with Art Bell, it is sad that 99.9% of the Pagan writing and text were destroyed by the "new religion" Christianity.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by liveandlearn

Wow, what part of Guatemala? It's an absolutely beautiful place, and reminds me of the Northwest. Are You Guatemalan, or did Your parents just have business down there?brb

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   

No, not Guatemalan. Texan.

Dad was Air Force and stationed there. We had a Guatemalan housekeeper who had a daughter my age.

There was so much talk about the Panama Canal back then (mid 1940's) that I got sounds confused and began calling my grandmother "Panama". All subsequent grandchildren as well as adults called her that till she died.

I have always wanted to go back but never did...maybe someday.

edit to say, it was Guatemala City.

[edit on 13-10-2009 by liveandlearn]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by liveandlearn

Wow, that sounds like it would be an interesting story. The place is called the land of the Eternal Spring; as it is always a nice cool temperature. If You haven't been there in years, then I would strongly suggest looking online at pictures; as it has changed 100 fold.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

join