It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New drug aims to wipe away fear, bad memories

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   

www.digitaljournal.com

"The study uncovers a totally novel, molecular mechanism by which fear memories are preserved and protected from erasure," the study indicates. "It is highly relevant from a clinical perspective because fear memory extinction is the corner-stone of the psychological therapy of several anxiety disorders. Furthermore, it puts forward a novel explanation for the frequency of relapses of fear responses after extensive therapy, which are a major clinical problem."
Scientists believe the drug can be used on humans as well. They believe it wold be especially beneficial to soldiers who are suffer
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.dailymail.co.uk
www.fmi.ch

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
This certainly has an ominous ring to it and there's no doubt it would be used by the wrong people for the wrong reasons.

While I can understand soldiers being helped in some ways by this (maybe), it still has the possibilities of wiping out more than intended. But they talk like it would/could be used for forgetting the break up of a relationship, scary thought. People are more vulnerable and easily taken advantage of in such stressful times.

Fear keeps us on our toes and ready to react, to take that away is very a dangerous thing.

This is my first thread, so if it's in the wrong place or something...sorry

This is all I found on it so far, maybe someone else can find more.

Shea

www.digitaljournal.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 15-9-2009 by SheaWolf]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Actually I wouldn't mind erasing some of my bad memories. There are a lot of them and the typical solution of mass quantities of alcohol doesn't seem to wipe some of them out.

Course I can see the problem that could be created by this drug as well.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by SheaWolf

I agree with you, this is not a good idea.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by SheaWolf

Beer? That isn't new!!

In combination with friends, shots of liquor, loud music, and scantily clad women, it can be very, very, very effective!

Plus, you don't need a prescription, just a designated driver and condoms! Although, on occasion, I have wished I brought a helmet!

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Is this being developed by Colbert's Prescott Pharmaceuticals

Medicine to wipe out fear and bad memories?
Sounds like something from the Fringe

More and more pills to take out the humanity left in us.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind?

I think that is the correct title. Jim Carrey movie?

Anyway, anybody that would choose to forget their life's memories and experiences, no matter how bad, deserves whatever they get! I know, I know, they lost a child, or a spouse, or they saw carnage of war, but those painful memories are all that remain of that tragic experience and the pain is a reflection of the love and emotions and connections felt!

I would never give up a single memory that I have! I don't even like photographs, because I prefer the internal kind!

link   
It does make me wonder that some people would than have no fear and become serial killers. It is interesting how some apparently can switch this off already, such as military personel.

I'd like to forget my bill collectors.

[edit on 15-9-2009 by aleon1018]

link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

LOL...as much as I dislike beer, it is a safer alternative for short term memory loss.

But seriously, sure we all have things we wish we didn't remember, but to wipe them out? What happens to the lessons these bad things taught us? Or the people we keep away from because of such things? Do we forget that as well? Will we stupidly step back into a bad situation because we forgot how horrible it really was?

added note:
Wonder how long before this becomes an unknown chemical in some mandatory pandemic vaccine? hhmmmm.

Blasted dyslexia mucks up everything, think it's all fixed now

[edit on 15-9-2009 by SheaWolf]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Are you scared?
Do you wake up in the morning and breathe?
Do you take showers?
Do you eat food?

WELL...we have the Drug for you!!!

No thanks is what i say...I can deal with my own fears and not bother with big pharma companies who want to solve all my problems for me for a price with some chemicals.
Just live and let live.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
One thing, how do we know is going to "Erase just bad memories and not all memories".

How can a drug be "that selective".

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Don't ask so many questions kids, just be good boys and girls and take your soma.
Mmmm, now isn't that better?

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
okay,

this is incredibly dangerous of a concept for a medication.

lets suppose that they perfect it and with a pill or regimen, you can erase fear based memories completely. do you realize the implications of this? think about yourself for a moment. you dont touch the stove when its hot out of fear of getting burnt, because one time you did get burnt, and the memory remains. remove it and you'd be apt to perpetually burn yourself over and over again.

suppose you were arrested for some crime, and the fear of incarcercation is what is stopping you from committing such a crime again. remove that fear, and you'd just wind up in jail again.

all in all, a very bad idea. they'd have to be able to PIN POINT EXACT MEMORIES .. down to the individual cell which it is contained within, and have a chemical which only acts on that particular cell. I really don't think we're even close to being able to do that yet. I hope we never can to be honest with you.

bad bad bad ...

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Andreas Luthi of the Friedrich Miescher Institute in Switzerland is the guy who wants us to be happy.

Hmmmmmm....

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Sounds more like the perfect "zombie" drug to keep the masses in line. This drug could be abused in so many ways and should not be an area that we should be messing with.

IF your memories are that bad, open your mind and go see a hypnotherapist.

They had good intentions for '___' also. They hoped it would be a do it all type of drug.

In the 1950's, human experiments began. At that time, human experimentation was much less regulated than it is today, so the drug was tested widely. '___' was tried as a treatment for alcoholism, schizophrenia, depression, narcotics addictions, sexual dysfunction, and criminal behavior. It had no positive effect on any of these conditions. On the contrary, '___' seemed to cause or aggravate personality disorders. The United States Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) also conducted '___' experiments during this period, presumably in hopes of generating some military use for the drug. None of these studies produced a purpose for '___'.

www.intheknowzone.com...

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by runetang

Good points! They already have a drug they use to "help" drug users forget, I wonder how they are so sure that's all that's being forgotten.

www.miller-mccune.com...

I know that horrible things muck up lots of people, drugs, events, ect..., but there's no need for a lobotomy pill.

link   
i would take that for my panic attacks :O

link   
Is there only me that sees it as a good thing. I'd take it today if offered.
Like a previous post pointed out, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. What's wrong with that?
Or maybe I prefer Constant Grouchiness of the Broken Brain.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I'm not sure about this medication. I mean, it's application, not it's effectiveness.

Scenario:

*Child burns hand on stove top (or insert other painful/horrific event)
*Child takes medication to forget
*Repeat until the end of time..........

Just my 2-cents

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by SheaWolf

www.digitaljournal.com

The headline could just as easily be read this way:

New drug aims to induce lethargy, calm and tranquility in the face of danger. Hey, sign me up.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join