It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if The Universe expanded so rapidly, it ceased to exist instantly?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I was watching a Michio Kaku video, that i seen awhile ago. And he was talking about the universe. How the universe is expanding so fast, so rapidly, that it is going out of control, that i it could force a premature death of the universe.

NOW LETS THINK OF THIS CONCEPT.
what would happen if this happened?
imagine right now, BAM. everything is just DELETED. NOthing exists, our earth doesn't explode...our universe doesn't do anything...its simply DELETED.
i dont think anyone has ever truelly asked this on ATS before.

What an amazing scary idea, that at any moment, everything in this universe...could just be deleted.
What would happened to our souls?
the higher dimensions?
etc. etc. etc.

to simply go POOF! gone..
and u would never know...no one...nothing..

[edit on 11/9/2009 by kaskade]

[edit on 11/9/2009 by kaskade]

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
You've probably got a chance to edit your title to something close to intelligible....I'll give you a headstart...

What if the universe imploded and ceased to exist?

Copy and paste the above.

And to answer the question...

We would die......

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by cranberrydork
You've probably got a chance to edit your title to something close to intelligible....I'll give you a headstart...

What if the universe imploded and ceased to exist?

Copy and paste the above.

And to answer the question...

We would die......

haha yes sorry about that.
I started to write half the subject at first (thinking of a good title)
and just went on to write the body instead, and come back to it afterwards.
Only thing was...i forgot to come back to it lol (edit grammar/change title)
But whatever the case, it did get you to come to the thread, read, and write a response

OBVIOUS we would die...but it was the thought of this happening, not really the END RESULT, which was the most obvious answer, that a retarded person looked at u in shame.

Im moreso asking do you think it could happen?
when could it happen?
Has it happened in the past?
is that how our universe now got started?
If it does happen, does it give birth to a new?
Is this how new souls are made?, there recycled from an old universe?
Does this happen over and over and over to infinity and beyond (buzz lightgear)

Problem with half of these threads is no one puts there MIND and SOUL into it. There more copy and pasting, and trying to be arrogant a**'s then actually contribute a legitimate thought. Much like the person im replying to now.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Nothing would matter as all would be a cloud of dust waiting billions of years to reform into the next universe.

After reading your second post I am of the opinion you do not deserve any more responses to your questions.

[edit on 11-9-2009 by Muundoggie]

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
You're correct, you would never know...no one....nothing. The Universe will not end 'prematurely'. If it ever ends, it will be exactly when its supposed to and not a minute sooner. You're best bet is to worry about your soul and how you can be a better person now, not some 'what-if' situation. Everything else will fall into place just as it should.

Peace. K*

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I'd like to think all mass would be converted into energy and we'd gracefully unwind back into the ether we call space where we came from, and be as one.

No more secrets!

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by kaskade
NOW LETS THINK OF THIS CONCEPT.
what would happen if this happened?
imagine right now, BAM. everything is just DELETED. NOthing exists, our earth doesn't explode...our universe doesn't do anything...its simply DELETED.
i dont think anyone has ever truelly asked this on ATS before.

What an amazing scary idea, that at any moment, everything in this universe...could just be deleted.
What would happened to our souls?
the higher dimensions?
etc. etc. etc.

to simply go POOF! gone..
and u would never know...no one...nothing..

I think you have answered your own question there me laddo

[edit on 9/11/2009 by altered_states]

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
What really matters anyhow?
I mean seriously, when we are speaking about concepts at this level, what does it really matter to you or I?
It doesn't.

We would simply cease to be.
And then we would create another game to play.

However, since we realize that this is just a game created by ourselves (we do understand that, right?)... This is unlikely to happen.

My .02.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by kaskade

Well if multiverse theory is true (which it likely is) then we would still exist somewhere else, in another parallel reality. Unless our very dimensional plane we exist in somehow ceased to exist. But that still would not be the end of everything, you would still have hyperspace and the other universes likely floating around in the hyperspatial space. It would be at worst, like one bubble 'popping' out of many.

But if we are to take your question exact, then if ALL of reality simply ceased to exist and deleted itself then once it happened we would not know about it, we would simply be then not be.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by kaskade
Michio Kaku... was talking about the universe. How the universe is expanding so fast, so rapidly, that it is going out of control, that i it could force a premature death of the universe.

Yeah, I believe he actually even said "expanding out of control"... LOL

Out of whose control?

Who controls the expansion of the universe? I thought this was funny as hell, coming from Michio Kaku, who is a staunch atheist.

And I utterly fail to understand this hysterical human fear of the "premature death of the Universe"... OMG, the universe is only going to exist for another 20 BILLION YEARS, instead of a TRILLION years! OMG!!!

People, come on. I don't even see the purpose of hypothesizing about the end of the Universe, or our Sun, or the Earth. If it happens tomorrow, so what? If it happens in a billion years, Humanity won't even exist anymore. So, again, who cares?

— Doc Velocity

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

I was taken back by the Out of Control remarks myself.
I think this is the author's bias in these matters showing through.
But it is an interesting question, none the less.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I think a more profound question would be... What contains the Universe? or How is it contained?

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Now I like that question. But, if we can judge from the apparent physics of our own Universe, I would postulate that our Universe is not contained by anything.

Rather, I think our Universe is adrift in yet a larger ocean of Universes, more or less equally spaced, just as the countless galaxies of this Universe are equally spaced from one another. Why can't we see the other universes? Because there is no Space/Time between them. Space/Time only exists within each Universe, but not in the Anti-Space/Time in-between.

Hmmm

— Doc Velocity

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
The universe is one big black hole. Eventually a bright light will form at the edge of the universe and start to grow. This will be the exit point of the massive black hole our galaxy and billions of others are traveling through. We will be ejected into another universe and the process continues. It's a big loop.

Just kidding of course.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   

To me the question is always the same.
Why is it here?
Is it here to entertain ME or the rocks and inert gasses?

My feable mind tells me that it is here to entertain me. Call me crazy, but I can't fathom a Universe that is meant for anything else.

Someone may argue, "but it doesn't have to BE for anything!"
And at that point, I once again state that it doesn't matter, then.

However, something else I ponder is the FACT that all of those inert gasses and rocks are only considered real because we PERCEIVE them to be real.
Meaning that it is you and I that MAKE them real.

So I believe that we have a leg up on the inert gasses and rock theory due to this alone.
Nah, this is all here for us. Created BY us.

Therefore, the universe won't wink out any time soon. And if it did, we would be none the wiser, whether we just continued on in another realm, or we simply ceased to exist.

So, once again, in the end, it doesn't matter.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by cloakndagger

Even though you say you're kidding this idea is quite logical. No one knows the answer so why couln't your idea be true?

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   

but what contains all those other universes? If one could travel to the edge of our universe would one just drop off into a vacumn or would one smack into something like a wall?
hmmm?

[edit on 11-9-2009 by Muundoggie]

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Awe hell, I'll say it ............

Looks like Opie has been hitting the Window Pane!

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muundoggie
but what contains all those other universes? If one could travel to the edge of our universe would one just drop off into a vacumn or would one smack into something like a wall? hmmm?

Ha. What we see here is the human brain at work.

Beyond the peripheral senses (hearing, sight, smell, touch, taste), the human brain performs with outstanding versatility and articulation in this three-dimensional (well, four-dimensional) universe, and the only thing it wants is to make a connection! It wants to go from point A to point B. It wants to connect things, assemble structures. It wants to inspect structures so it can build similar structures, or variable structures. That's what the human brain does. It's inventive.

Unfortunately, the human brain is a closed circuit. It doesn't handle "open circuit" information very well. For instance, we can't grasp or even comprehend Infinity.

We acknowledge that open circuits (infinity, eternity) exist, but we're not one of them. We're a closed circuit. We like things that have beginnings and endings and defined shapes.

So, we continually imagine that there must be something containing the Universe! We peer into it with our very cool telescopes, and we assemble our 3D photo-montage of the cosmos, but we have to acknowledge that this is nothing but a set of pretty images, because we will never reach those places in the lifetime of our species!

The human brain doesn't like being told it can't comprehend something. It hates that, it wants to refute that. Maybe I'm stepping out into the 11th dimension here. I call it the "pressbox" dimension, a platform from which you gaze down on the other lowly dimensions.

Rather than dropping off into a vacuum or smacking into a wall, I think we'd probably careen off like a lovely cosmic ejaculation and find ourselves seeding another God, right?

Wow. That's almost poetry. I better stop it.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 9/12/2009 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity
Unfortunately, the human brain is a closed circuit. It doesn't handle "open circuit" information very well. For instance, we can't grasp or even comprehend Infinity.

I would disagree. I don't feel I have any problem with infinity.

At certain hierarchical levels of the brain--specifically, the chemical and electrical activity that "makes it work"--it might be described as a "closed circuit", but in the entirety of the human consciousness and its creation, it appears to be quite open.

I would refer you to Douglas Hofstadter's musings. I Am a Strange Loop for instance.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join