It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pantyhose, more then what you think.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
As strange as it sounds Pantyhose as many sitx uses.

1. Wind proof layer. Apparently Pantyhose cuts wind like a knife, I have heard that soldiers often wear them under there BDU's to fight the winds cooling factor. In the movie In the Valley of Elah Tommy Lee Jones Character references this.

2. Portable means of Growing medicinal herbs. Make ur own chia pet to grow essential herbs. Kids can do it, why can't you

3. Water filter. not only is the material tightly knited to catch debris, but you can add different layers of sand, charcoal and other things to help the filtering process.

4. Medical Bandage. It's tight fiting nature makes it ideal for holding gauz pads aswell as other dressing tight to the wound.

5. Anti-Box Jellyfish Sting Clothing. Surfers and Life Guards have used Pantyhose for years to avoid these deadly stings. the little syringe like structures on the tenticles cant puncture the pantyhose.

Thats it for now, Here is a link to another site full of alternative uses for pantyhose.

If you guys have thoughts or suggestions for the use of nylons let me know.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
ha thats funny. i started writing a short story off the top of my head the other day while bored at work, where a homeless man is showing a new arrival on the streets a dead body he found, out back of a garment factory on a river.
As they are walking along the creekbed the hobo explains that he was there fishing for pantyhose that regularly gets thrown out with the waste from the factory, and starts listing off the many uses for pantyhose, including water filtration, a sling, and a disguise for robbing liquor stores.
Have no clue where the idea came from as it was nearly stream-of-consciousness; once it occured to me i realized there are no doubt hundreds of uses for it. i found this post very interesting because of it. I will add Anti-Box Jellyfish Sting Clothing to his list if i decide to pick the story back up.

[edit on 25-8-2009 by kidney thief]

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Smokeing_Gun

Yep, panty-hose are a brilliant invention, I've always believed so

In addition to the very useful information you've provided

can I add that pantyhose are very strong and can be used instead of rope

When left for extended periods in the sun however (I'm speaking months in strong sun and rain) they will rot eventually

They can also be cut and the legs used to protect arms .. for when making one's way through tough undergrowth

and they're useful (not perfect, but useful) against insect bites and strong sun. Again, the legs can be cut off and pulled up the full length of the arms, or, for the more patient, they can be cut in such a way that the 'body' part of the hose goes around the neck or shoulders to support the legs being used to cover the arms. Fingers can move quite well within the 'foot' part of the hose

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Excellent thread S&F

I bet if I put my mind to it I could come up with more uses.

edited to make my sentence make sense.

[edit on 25-8-2009 by calstorm]

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

Paint strainers..yep..been using the wifes old ones for years to strain paint through...

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Now there's an original thought, oh wait maybe it isn't.
Seems i already covered it in a thread here entitled
" It's not what's in your kit that counts"
Couple of weeks ago stressing Improvisation

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
We actually use pantyhose for food storage. Bushels of apples, onions, etc can be placed inside the legs and knotted apart......so if one begins to rot it doesn't rot the others.

Also couldn't it help with the camouflage the face stuff?

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
my dad had a i think hernea operation on his stomach. When in hospital he had to wear this pantyhose thing on his legs so it would increase circulation or stop clogging or something like that.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by The_Smokeing_Gun

Very true!

Fun fact, when I was a kid and I had to walk to school in -20 weather, my Mom would make me wear pantyhose under my jeans, and then put a snowsuit on top of me. They're a good insulator.

I don't know how comfortable they would be for men, though.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Henygirl

Fanbelt or accessory belt on car engine.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by skycopilot

Really?

Never heard that one before.

top topics

join