It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PETA fat-shames in "Save the Whales" campaign

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   

PETA fat-shames in "Save the Whales" campaign

www.feministing.com

A new PETA billboard campaign that was just launched in Jacksonville reminds people who are struggling to lose weight -- and who want to have enough energy to chase a beach ball -- that going vegetarian can be an effective way to shed those extra pounds that keep them from looking good in a bikini. The ad shows a woman whose "blubber" is spilling over the sides of her swimsuit bottom...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
When I first heard about this article I laughed about the possibility that two groups on the left were at odds with each other, as feminists look down on anything that causes women to have a false negative self-image. I did a search and bingo, Feminists are firing back at P.E.T.A , and rightly so...although I know a few big women who could care less what P.E.T.A or anyone else says about them. P.E.T.A must be pretty confident in the funding and membership to possibly alienate so many potential supporters.

www.feministing.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Cool. I hope these two annihilate each other out. The world is better off without political correctness.

For every jab at each other I'll laugh at a fatass and eat meat.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I can't believe I just went to a Feminist site... still shocked.

But yeah, PETA does more harm then good, I don't get who their marketers are, or who comes up with the idea of making fun of what 90% of america...

The thing is, we've all seen that girl at the beach, about 300 pounds. In a two piece.

As Brian said best "Looks like a walrus flossing".

Yeah, umm... it's not pretty. Although, maybe a few hundreds years ago yeah... but different times.

Still don't think this is out and out a good method.

I don't know alot about PETA, but they do alot of damage to their own cause.

You can't really humiliate people for physical characteristics, to get them to do something...

Maybe you can.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I just learned today that women do not compete against men in chess!!

Ok, physical sports, it makes sense.

But a mental 'sport'? ARE YOU KIDDING?

I refuse equal rights until a woman competes against men in chess. Bottom line.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by king9072

Men and women both have different brain setups.

But really chess? That's kind of messed up I guess.

I always played chess with my sister when I was a kid

She was pretty good too!

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   
wellll
not ingesting corpses does lower cholesterol, cancer risk, obesity, and many other bad things. and you dont need to kill millions of animals for food. and it saves land and water, that can feed more people. and it stops the spread of food borne pathogens in food and on factory farms.
but apprently this billboard is hurting soem feelings, so i guess getting all pissy at PETA is ok, since the fat chicks feel bad, but not bad enough to chance their eating habits.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Here ya go.
www.chessblog.com...

Antoaneta Stefanova. Winning the Women's World Chess Championship in Elista, Russia in 2004, Antoaneta became the 10th women's world chess champion. She's been one of the leaders of the women's chess for many years and she's also been very succesful in men's tournament, beating many strong GM's.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by STFUPPERCUTTER
wellll
not ingesting corpses does lower cholesterol, cancer risk, obesity, and many other bad things. and you dont need to kill millions of animals for food. and it saves land and water, that can feed more people. and it stops the spread of food borne pathogens in food and on factory farms.
but apprently this billboard is hurting soem feelings, so i guess getting all pissy at PETA is ok, since the fat chicks feel bad, but not bad enough to chance their eating habits.

What about the land that would be needed to to grow more crops if everyone went veg? How about those veggies that gave people ecoli and salmonilla last year? What about the chemicals in the ground that transfer to the plants? What about high sugar/carb fruits?

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pauligirl

Here ya go.
www.chessblog.com...

Antoaneta Stefanova. Winning the Women's World Chess Championship in Elista, Russia in 2004, Antoaneta became the 10th women's world chess champion. She's been one of the leaders of the women's chess for many years and she's also been very succesful in men's tournament, beating many strong GM's.

Hahaha pauligirl, we've been on the opposite ends of discussions all night. I sense a feminist following me.

I am glad Ms.Antoaneta can and does compete against men, especially since she does well. But this is one case, this is not the entire world. Women do not compete against men in the world championships across the board.

A feminist told me that women are absolutely equal in every aspect of intelligence. Thus, in my opinion, should compete at every level of a chess competition - against men and women.

Don't get me wrong here, I am not the type of person that thinks women are dumb or anything, cause it's far from that, some of the most intelligent people I know are women.

My beef is that women are so quick to claim equality when the situation suits them. But quickly point out differences when it doesn't. If you come to play ball, play ball, whether your winning or losing.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   

wellll

You're sooo right! I know this vegetarian, picture of health. Except for the 50 pills she has to take to keep her body from shutting down due to lack nutrition.

I wonder how they did it 2000 years ago, without all the pills to keep their body in check. Must have been tough to get a perscription back then. And even tougher to find someone to make an iron pill. Hell, I bet they didn't even know what iron was. The entire thing must have been extremely difficult.

Hmm... maybe it's not natural? Ahh.. that makes sense.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
PETA is always doing dumb # like this.

I don't think anyone takes them seriously anymore.

Yeah, obesity is an epidemic in this country. No, going vegetarian is not going to solve that problem. While it might help, moderation is really the key to living healthy.

I have personal experience to back this up. I was a vegetarian for about 3 years during my younger days. I still ate fish, eggs, dairy and other animal products, so I really only cut out red and white meat. While I did lose a lot of weight doing it (and probably wouldn't be as fit as I am today if I didn't), the real reason I lost weight wasn't because I stopped eating meat.

I stopped eating fast food altogether. Can't get a decent vegetarian meal at one of those places anyway. Cooked 99% of my own meals for a change, generally ate less (because vegetables and fish are more expensive than red or white meat), and overall lead a healthier lifestyle.

Why did I stop? I started to lose muscle mass. I am not someone who works out every day, or is obsessive about their appearance, but when I started to noticeably lose muscle mass I became concerned. I also felt sick fairly often; stomach sickness, fatigue, anxiety. I am someone who almost never gets sick, so I was starting to get really concerned (none of this started happening until my 3rd year in). I would also get pains in my joints, and my fingernails started to get brittle.

I started eating meat again, and within a month I was back to my old self (plus, I have never appreciated a good hamburger as much as I do since that ordeal
). My conclusion: human beings are meant to consume meat. It is a natural part of our diet, and if we hold back from it, yes we will lose weight but at the cost of our general well being. I don't know what I would look like today if I remained a vegetarian for a decade or so, but I'm sure I would be much less healthy. I would recommend to anyone trying to lose weight, skip the extreme diets, eat whatever you feel like (in moderation), and get a decent amount of daily exercise, including mental exercise (thinking burns calories, too
).

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Hahaha pauligirl, we've been on the opposite ends of discussions all night. I sense a feminist following me.

I am glad Ms.Antoaneta can and does compete against men, especially since she does well. But this is one case, this is not the entire world. Women do not compete against men in the world championships across the board.

I think we're derailing the PETA topic--but--in looking for Ms.Antoanet,
I ran across this:
www.chessbase.com...
Which starts with this quote:

"They're all weak, all women. They're stupid compared to men.
They shouldn't play chess, you know. They're like beginners. They lose every single game against a man.
There isn't a woman player in the world I can't give knight-odds to and still beat."
Robert James Fischer, 1962, Harper's Magazine

Not exactly encouraging words for women that want to take up the game.
Read the site. it explains the reasons a lot better than I can.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousMoose

same piece of land can grow 10 pounds of vegetation that the same piece can grow 1 pound of meat on.
ecoli and salmonella are caused by crosscontamination of feces or raw meats. thats probably the dumbest argument ive seen so far aobut not eating meat.
ground water is polluted beyond repair already, doenst matter if its emat or veggies growing there at this point.
and the carbs in fruit are healthy. something you dont knwo much about based on your avatar photo.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by king9072

i dont know your friend or ytou, thank goodness.
but i can tell based on your story, which i suspect is fabricated anyway, that your "friend" has a terrible diet. although i commend her for choosing a cruelty free existence, its apprent that she needs to adjust her eating habits if "50 pills a day" are required for her to survive.
and i guess i sohuld probably have dropped dead a long time ago since i havent eaten meat in over 8 years. and i must be soem kind of miracle human that doesnt require 50 pills a day or iron supplements to survive.
i suggest doing some research before opening your mouth. and lying is a bad habit, i suggest you stop that as well.
good luck to you!

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Pauligirl

its ok, women are better than men at plenty of other things, in the kitchen.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   
This is unbelievable, why is PETA now judging people, and why just women? Many men I see are overweight, what about them? I thought PETA only cared about animals.

One should always try to stay in shape, however, this is just too much, and I agree with the person who said that they are taking a big risk by alienating potential supporters.

But that may be a good thing, maybe then they will not have money for more billboards that judge people. I wish I could go to the PETA main offices, and make sure that no one is overweight, and I do not know how many people that PETA employs, but I am reasonably sure that they are not all thin. It seems like they are opening themselves up for a discrimination lawsuit, who here is a lawyer?? Just kidding, well kind of.

As a supervisor, I am sure glad that this is not my company that did something this foolish, it is a management nightmare. A couple of my employees are kind of overweight, and I would never want them to feel they were being corrected or singled out because of their appearance, and not due to job performance.

Still shaking my head and wondering why.....

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   

reply to post by king9072

i dont know your friend or ytou, thank goodness.
but i can tell based on your story, which i suspect is fabricated anyway, that your "friend" has a terrible diet. although i commend her for choosing a cruelty free existence, its apprent that she needs to adjust her eating habits if "50 pills a day" are required for her to survive.
and i guess i sohuld probably have dropped dead a long time ago since i havent eaten meat in over 8 years. and i must be soem kind of miracle human that doesnt require 50 pills a day or iron supplements to survive.
i suggest doing some research before opening your mouth. and lying is a bad habit, i suggest you stop that as well.
good luck to you!

For the record, it was a 100% fabrication. And simply made to make a point. I know many girls that are vegetarians, and practically every one is anemic. The bottom line is unless you are extremely dilligent and willing to spend the money, it is very hard to get everything your body needs from a vegan diet.

You can debate that all you want, and your a hardcore vegan, perhaps you do go through all the lengths to have a complete diet. But the vast majority, can't or don't! Thus, leading to overwhelming anemia in young people who choose to go that lifestyle.

Additionally, the last, perhaps 60 years-100 years, were really the first time in all of humans history that a majoriy of people could maintain a vegan lifestyle.

It's not up to me or you or anyone to say what people should eat. That's why I am just stating my opinion, it's not practical, and unless you're very 'into it' does not provide your body everything it needs, ESPECIALLY in men. If you're a vegan, it works, and you love it. Much love and luck to you, just don't try to push the lifestyle without including the "bad" side.

[edit on 20-8-2009 by king9072]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   
I knew someone who was vegan for several years.
His doctor was constantly telling him how unhealthy it was.

He eventually had to quit because his body got so weak. I think he was anemic and had other problems from it.

That feminist website is worse than PETA imo.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by STFUPPERCUTTER

not ingesting corpses does lower cholesterol, cancer risk, obesity, and many other bad things. and you dont need to kill millions of animals for food. and it saves land and water, that can feed more people. and it stops the spread of food borne pathogens in food and on factory farms

You have the science WRONG not eating CARBOHYDRATES lowers cholestrol, lowers blood pressure, reduces obesity. AND I am living proof.

Your blasted vegetarian diet put 50 lbs on me (127 to 183)
It gave me high blood pressure and made me lethargic and just plain ill feeling. I also started having problems with arthritis. Changing to a diet of MEAT and salads lowered my BP from around 170/149 to 114/69. After my latest blood work my doctor sad it was fantastic and to keep doing what ever I was doing. Also I now have no pain from my arthritis.

The fat problem in the USA is from all the candy, soda and bread we shovel down our throats (can you say McDonald's) They put candy and coke machines in schools and then wonder why children are hyper active and obese not to mention diabetes and heart disease is showing up very early in this latest generation

Also the same study that shows a minor link of one type of cancer to meat eating shows a much better correlation of LOWER breast cancer by eating meat can you say selected evidence??

[edit on 20-8-2009 by crimvelvet]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join