It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds at DefCon Alarmed After RFIDs Scanned

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Feds at DefCon Alarmed After RFIDs Scanned

www.wired.com

LAS VEGAS — It’s one of the most hostile hacker environments in the country –- the DefCon hacker conference held every summer in Las Vegas.

But despite the fact that attendees know they should take precautions to protect their data, federal agents at the conference got a scare on Friday when they were told they might have been caught in the sights of an RFID reader.

The reader, connected to a web camera, sniffed data from RFID-enabled ID cards and other documents carried by attendees in pockets and backpacks as they
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
As a member of the IS security community, I have been fearing the government switching to RFID's. The amount of exploits that Bluetooth has should be a HUGE indicator of why nothing wireless should house anykind of sensitive information.

RFID's will be the bulls-eye we all carry around whether we want to or not since the RFID's will be in our driver's license/state ID.......

www.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I agree. I never liked anyting wireless. Remember when cell phones came out..a new form of theft had started. People up to no good, could steel your phone number, via the frequency of the phone! Why would this be any differnt with anytnig wireless? Have the technological experts gotten so stupid they forget this?

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Let me play devil's advocate on this since I think most would agree.

What GOOD can come from RFID's?

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Roadblockx

Us Brit's already have them in our passports, my dad was part of the trial (unwillingly) in 2006 when we went to Spain.. it took 2 hours at airport for security personnel and armed police to realise it's an ID chip(they had men checking it and scanning it and using microscopes) and let us on our way.. since then everyone i know has got one in the back page of their passport, when mine runs out in 2011 and i need a new passport, i will most likely get one

[edit on 17/05/09 by Raider of Truth]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Raider of Truth

So this RFID thing won't be based just in the US.... Interesting. If the US has it as does any established country, I wonder where all of that data is housed. Who maintains whether the data is accurate?? RFID could be our ticket to a NWO.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Yep
that's the fear of the RFID and the fact it could relate to the mark of the beast.

We already have them.. the ID card scheme fell through as far a si know but they are financing chips into the skin or onto personal information (like passports)

news.bbc.co.uk...

old article but it even says on the article itself "Epassports using RFID chips" and on the front of the passports it has a little camera emblem at the bottom

[edit on 17/05/09 by Raider of Truth]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
You mention the mark of the beast. Someone once told me that it was the social security number (not sure what the related form is in Europe). Now, after getting a little older, my predicition as to what the mark of the beast is an IP address. Everyone that has a phone has an IP address. Anyone that access the internet from any WAP or related medium has an IP assigned to them. With all of this wireless technology, nearly everyone has an IP on them. Some have more IP's then others.....

Run for the hills!!

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Raider of Truth

www.timesonline.co.uk...

a article about them easily being cracked from last year.

RFID seems to be spreading onto other things aswell...

1999 International Civil Aviation Organisation begins study into possibility of worldwide use of travel documents carrying biometric data

2002 After 9/11 US announces all passports issued from 2006 and used to enter the country must contain biometric information or holder will require a visa

2006 Britain and many EU countries introduce biometric passports

2008 45 countries have introduced biometric passports. 100 million have been issued globally

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Wow.... I just amazed that there are so many countries joining this program. We can't get some countries to stop human-trafficking but find a way to track the citizens and everyone is on-board.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Excellent topic. I'm a fan of DefCon and I say good for them if they discovered a loophole. I hope they keep dicovering loophole after loophole to demonstrate how insipid biotech info implants are. I'm not a fan of black hat, but white hat has my support.

www.wethepeoplewillnotbechipped.com...

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by thoughtplacebo

The interesting part about this article relates to how "federal agents" that where either undercover or in uniform were caught in this. How embarrassing would it have been to have those RFID numbers show up on Limewire like the plans for the prez's helicopter......

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I don't know much about RFID. Its not really my thing. But I want to say I work in IT and computer security and went to defcon twice before and it was awesome!

[edit on 5-8-2009 by jeasahtheseer]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jeasahtheseer

Are you kidding me!?! You went to defcon? Oh man.. Just once I want to go. Of course I will leave my smartphone, laptop and every single other device hidden in the trunk of my car.

Did you have a great time?

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Here is an RFID 101 Crash Course

RFID and Me

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Roadblockx
reply to post by jeasahtheseer

Are you kidding me!?! You went to defcon? Oh man.. Just once I want to go. Of course I will leave my smartphone, laptop and every single other device hidden in the trunk of my car.

Did you have a great time?

lmao its awesome! Its funny when I went they had something set up on a big screen that sniffed passwords and usernames from people using wireless networks around the building (I think thats what it was doing), it was funny. As far as the talks people give I admit I only have been in this field for a few years and most the guys who give presentations have been doing it their whole lives. I'm more in the just general IT field rather than security but for the past couple years I've been really into security. So I admit a lot of stuff went right over my head, lol. But its still damn interesting.

You can find vids all over google video of presentations from past years.

You should go though one year, its sick.

[edit on 5-8-2009 by jeasahtheseer]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   

If the US has it as does any established country, I wonder where all of that data is housed. Who maintains whether the data is accurate??

The World trade organization was trying to push RFID tags on all livestock throughout the world. Some here in the US tagged their animals and one state made it mandatory. It is mandatory in Canada and Australia for cattle. The US data base is kept in Canada and the Canadian data base is in the USA. FOIA do not work cross borders. Farmers were very angry because experience in other countries showed the system is GIGO and the USDA could never give us an answer on what type of access a farmer has to his data and how he corrects it.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

Trying to put my head back together after reading that post.

Sounds like a test bed. Start with the livestock to make sure things like mouth/foot disease, mad cow disease, etc.. don't spread or can be easily tracked. Once that is perfected, you have a blueprint for humans..

Yipee!

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I wonder with a proper device if you can overenergize them and burn out the chips so they no longer work. Perhaps a magnetron from a microwave oven or something like that. Just briefly microwave your RFID'ed sneakers.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
We'll if they start chipping people. I for one am cutting mine out. Those bastards aren't gonna track me that easily. And if it releases cyanide, well Ill have to do it quick.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join