It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geithner Won't Rule Out New Taxes for Middle Class

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   

blogs.abcnews.com

To get the economy back on track, will President Barack Obama have to break his pledge not to raise taxes on 95 percent of Americans? In a “This Week” exclusive, Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner told me, "We’re going to have to do what’s necessary.”

Geithner was clear that he believes a key component of economic recovery is deficit reduction. When I gave him several opportunities to rule out a middle class tax hike, he wouldn’t do it.

“We have to bring these deficits down very dramatically,” Geithner told me. “And that’s going to require some very hard choices.”

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
The American people have been conned by an empty campaign promise not to raise taxes on people making under $250K per year. This bankster bailout will be funded with the hard earned money of the middle class. This was forewarned in several threads right here at ATS but the Obamatons fell hard for their media darling.

I am sure they are planning the media blitz of how it will be our patriotic duty to pay more federal taxes to pay down the deficit. The American people should not stand for any increase of taxes on the middle class. The federal government is already taking enough from us.

blogs.abcnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8/2/2009 by Erasurehead]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
This is no surprise to anybody, but i particularly resent geithner making this statement. I think these kinds of statements should come from the president, not from the person who has thrown himself wholeheartedly into increasing the deficit while threatening the value of the dollar at every turn, and then to top it off, he doesn't pay his own taxes.

i don't think americans of any class can come up with enough taxes to pay off the spending sprees that have gone on.

[edit on 2-8-2009 by earlywatcher]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

Waitaminute! Do you mean Obama isn't going to keep a campaign promise???

Oh my gods!

Seriously, it was only a matter of time before anyone making over ten bucks an hour would be considered "wealthy".

Share the wealth in the new Obama glorious peoples paradise.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Seems to me it doesn't matter what Geithner thinks. This is another attempt to provide cover to the ones who will make this decision - namely, Congress and the President.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I have a better Idea. Instead of raising taxes FIRE a large chunk of the government. Get rid of EPA, OSHA, USDA, FDA and the rest of the alphabet soup that is no longer doing anything but protecting the interests of the elite.

How about getting rid of all but ONE Congressional Aid per Congressman. How about cutting the fluff in the presidents Cabinet?

You want to Stimulate the economy? Get rid of all regs and taxes on small (under 30 people) businesses.

Nah that makes too much sense and doesn't put more money and power into the elites pockets.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
So another promise is broken.. Not only will we see these new taxes to pay for Obama's Communist healthcare, but we all know they want to implement taxes on farm animals, and even pets, as well as a myriad of other taxes based on a perfectly natural and needed gas, CO2.

Let's keep giving the rich elites our money, meanwhile they even steal more from the cookie jar...

I mean they only got away with 3-4 trillion dollars, which even the President says they don't know where it went...

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I've given this some thought.

I'd like to think that it might not happen.

Here's why. . .

The people (sheeple, drones,etc) are finding their voices. Look at the outcry on Obamadeathcare. You have senoir citizens getting arrested in Barbra Boxer's office protesting(I betcha those elderly were really domestic terrorists! If they can find someone to drive them. . . )Townhall meetings where our "representatives" are getting shouted out!

hahahahaha

And you want to pile TAX HIKES on top of it?

Oh no, my friends, they think we are stupid, they think we'll just roll over and take another up the #.

Lord Ming'obama is getting scared now about his shrinking poll numbers. Just imagine how bloody popular he's going to be when he announces that the american tax payer gets to "save" money and do their "patriotic" duty by allowing their government to hold onto a wee bit more of their hard earned (and devalued, inflated, covered in swine flu) dollars.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
They will more than likely get rid of all of the deductions that people take out. I would be fine with that IF they stopped all social programs and made the poor contribute to society also. We all know thats not going to happen because they will throw those saps another bone so the middle class and the poor will continue to fight each other at the polls.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Accounts Receivable Tax
Building Permit Tax
Capital Gains Tax
CDL license Tax
Cigarette Tax
Corporate Income Tax
Court Fines (indirect taxes)
Dog License Tax
Federal Income Tax
Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)
Fishing License Tax
Food License Tax
Fuel permit tax
Gasoline Tax (42 cents per gallon)
Hunting License Tax
Inheritance Tax Interest expense (tax on the money)
Inventory tax IRS Interest Charges (tax on top of tax)
IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)
Liquor Tax
Local Income Tax
Luxury Taxes
Marriage License Tax
Medicare Tax
Property Tax
Real Estate Tax
Septic Permit Tax
Service Charge Taxes
Social Security Tax
Road Usage Taxes (Truckers)
Sales Taxes
Recreational Vehicle Tax
Road Toll Booth Taxes
School Tax
State Income Tax
State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)
Telephone federal excise tax
Telephone federal universal service fee tax
Telephone federal, state and
local surcharge taxes
Telephone minimum usage surcharge tax
Telephone recurring and non-recurring charges tax
Telephone state and local tax
Telephone usage charge tax
Toll Bridge Taxes
Toll Tunnel Taxes
Traffic Fines (indirect taxation)
Trailer Registration Tax
Utility Taxes
Vehicle License Registration Tax
Vehicle Sales Tax
Watercraft Registration Tax
Well Permit Tax
Workers Compensation Tax

i dont know what people were expecting... obama was never gonna change crap... hes a liar. our governemnt are a bunch of liars and criminals... blah

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Pretty soon we'll have them exactly where we want them. Once they have 100% of our income, they'll need us more than we need them.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

Add to that list the soon to be created carbon emissions tax and the per mile driven tax. Obama is a liar just like all the rest before him. Democrat or Republican, its all the same.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

Obama is a liar just like all the rest before him. Democrat or Republican, its all the same.

True. The problem is that his lies are costing us more than the previous administration's lies. He claimed he inherited a deficit, but he nearly tripled the deficit with his new budget. We can't blame the previous administration for that.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
True. The problem is that his lies are costing us more than the previous administration's lies. He claimed he inherited a deficit, but he nearly tripled the deficit with his new budget. We can't blame the previous administration for that.

It was the previous Administration that came up with the brilliant "Reagan proved that deficits don't matter" meme. If they hadn't given us that, then people would have been ready to snap when the deficit crossed $1 Trillion.

new topics

top topics

join