It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The speed of dark

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Have you ever wondered what exactly "dark" is? Good, so have I. Some would say the dark is simply nothing more than the absence of light but does it end there or is "the dark" its own animal like "the light"?

Theory 1 - The dark, much like space time fabric is always present. When light is introduced it is much like stacking a piece of white construction paper on top of a black one, when you remove the white sheet, the black one is still there and always has been.

With this theory there is nothing noteworthy about the dark. It exits solely in the absence of light and is a "natural state".

Theory 2 - Dark and light share very similar properties in the sense that when light is introduced it "pushes away" darkness. In this theory light and dark would act as oppositely charged magnets against each other.

This is an interesting theory that has NOT been disproven although I will admit it is a little out there.

While there can be much debate on the topic, I wonder if this would be the key to understanding dark matter and the problem with all the missing mass in the Universe. What if the blackness of interstellar space or "The dark" was composed of a particle similar to the photon only much smaller but had a miniscule amount of mass. Could it be that the dark is like light but travels slightly slower because of this mass and space itself accounts for dark matter?

What do you think?

[edit on 16-7-2009 by Helious]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
What do i think?

i think dark is the absence of light. its just that.
wherever there isnt some source of light it is dark.
the less light there is, the darker it is.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest

Indeed, this may absolutely be true or it may not be.

This question is actually being debated within science now, it is a deep discussion and perplexing problem.

some seem to think that gravity is involved, others think the whole debate is poppycock.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Interestingly, at least spiritually speaking, the Bible speaks of spiritual light and darkness being like theory two. Whenever spiritual light is present, the darkness flees from the light because it doesn't want to be exposed.

Anyway, I think that physical light probably acts more like theory one. I would say this because, if it was like a magnet, that would mean that the darkness would be pushed away, which would mean that it would get darker where the light isn't. As I sit here in my computer room with the light on, and look out the window, it doesn't get any darker outside where there is no light present. Know what I mean?

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
you might find some interesting dialogue about your topic here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

My thoughts: darkness is the absence of light; therefore, light stops (darkness) just as quickly as it starts. so the answer is they travel at the same speed.

Just my 2-cents

[edit on 16-7-2009 by Aggie Man]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
ldarkness is simply the absence of light i.e. less photons present to be observed...just the same as cold is the absence of heat .

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Erhm, isnt light particles, and darkness nothing?

If it is nothing then it cant move at any speed at all. Ever seen a lamp emitting darkness?

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I think of dark like a zero point so that it's the starting point of the absence of all light. Any form of light that's added can be measured and quantified so that would be anything greater then zero and it can be a dynamic number but it wouldn't be possible for it to go less then zero. I'm sure that could be written in a neat formula like Darkness is zero and light is greater then or equal to Darkness.

I'm not really a math guy though so what do I know

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Good question man! i assume dark has the same speed as light,for as you turn off a light,the speed of light disappearing would be the same as darkness filling or is there a gap in between light and dark that can be captured on camera or something?

i'd go with theory one,but i also think that everything is actually composed of dark as a another dimension on the physical plane,where light and photons penetrate and produce effects.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
What about shadows?dark contained?

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Darkness is simply the absence of light, Visible light. Since thats the case, its only a relative term to contrast areas that are full of visible light. Various other members of the EM Spectrum are present in areas that are devoid of visible light. Now if you are talking about an area devoid of EM, then that would be a vacuum (absolute nothingness).

Dark Matter (pending its existence) isn't without visible light, it absorbs it. I think its supposed to emit some sort of EM radiation but I might be wrong about that.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Excellent coments! This is truely a unique subject and what I have noticed is the majority of people who are not very spiritual will often times say (and perhaps rightfully so) that darkness is just the absence of light.

I think even more than scientificly, there is a thoretical and spiritual attraction to this subject. Think about the big bang and before there were stars or sources of light, before giant pools of superheated gas began to shine.

What was there? In fact, the dark has been there longer than the light. I don't think it is out of the question that perhaps there may something more to it than just what is there in the absence of light.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Dark is faster then light.
I think it was dubbed it had infinite speed, or instataneous, as the
shadow of the moon eclipse moved across the earth.
Thats the only thing I heard about darkness.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TeslaandLyne

Interesting indeed! My thought is that there is something more to this then everyday science behind the issue. This topic in my mind could facilitate the best in people who have the broadest ideas of spirituality and science.

There is a catalyst in this discussion believe me. There is a need to understand because it is a very compelling and througt provoking subject with underlying implications for all involved.

It really takes your mind to a new plane of thought when you contomplate this subject because it goes beyond science, trancends religion and envokes spirituality.

[edit on 16-7-2009 by Helious]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I got that description of the shadow properties from one of the
many writings of Tesla.
Believe it or not.
I find a lot of his references to topics still going on today.
A man with two feet firmly planted on the ground to some people.
Or standing on electricity.
Thanks for the interesting topic.

ED: Yeah spirituality, I don't want to have dark after I die.
Go to the light would be no problem being surrounded by light
in the hereafter. The so called ether may be the doorway.

[edit on 7/16/2009 by TeslaandLyne]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by TeslaandLyne

I would love to hear what Tesla had to say on the subject, a brilliant mind to say the least but I suspect he would say that dark is the absence of light lol

Speaking on pure science, I believe that we have no idea what the hell is really going on. Consider at the time of columbus the best scientific minds in the world truely believed the earth flat.

Every five years we are finding the best science is not only wrong it is borderline inept. Anything in this universe is still fair game because we are insects trying to understand the reality around us.

Dark matter is so complexing because nobody has any clue to what it could even be, there is not even a good guess out there as of yet. From pure science alone there is something to be though of here.

Since I have been thinking about this, and Ill give you that mine is a limited mind but I keep a smile and love to dream, I see something here that is not just fluff. I truly believe that there could be something to this and Im not trying to aim pointless discussion.

We have alot of free thinkers here, I opened this up because it's not only debatable but also "FUN" to touch on as there isn't anyone on this subject that can prove anyone else wrong.

This is probably the only thing right now that is wide open and anyones guess is just as good as anyone elses.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Ìf a black hole is darkness concentrated, then I would say this "concentrated darkness" is faster than the speed of light because not even light can escape a black hole.

Perhaps I went off on a tangent there, but I really wonder what actual darkness and a black hole have in common, if not everything...

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by impaired

See, the beautiful theory of thought. Indeed sir! Indeed.

A black hole is in fact ultimate darkness, no light can escape. As I said before, my personal belief is that dark consists of basicly the same thing as light only slightly more manipulative and powerful just not as fast.

Once light has crossed the threshold into the black monster, there shall be no escape. I think that the darkness contains the ever elusive particle we have not seen yet, the one so small we have not found, I also believe it contains ooooooooooooooooohhhh so tiny of amount of mass which in certain situations makes it a beast to behold in the vastness of deep space.

[edit on 17-7-2009 by Helious]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Dark is instant, but light can only travel at the speed of light, or roughly 186,000 miles per second.

This too is merely a perception. Those photons are hitting our vision, and only "appear" to be light, as we can only see a small percentage of the radiation spectrum.

To a blind man, there is no light, though he be bathed in it.

Perception or reality?

Kind of depends on where you are at the moment.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by dooper

Also consider that what we "see" may not and also probably "is not" the end all be all.

I doubt our limited senses could point us to any truth of the matter based on our limited earth based sense of sight.

We already have proof that vision is truely that of the beholder. We can see miraculous visons in infared, radio and ultraviolet through machines we could never have hoped to witness through our own limited means of mortal sight.

What does that say of us? Of our perception, of our reality? Is darkness a fact of all dimensions if string theory holds true? Does it alone hold the rights to the ever expanding universe when all particles become unglued and matter is no more?

Is darkness the only thing that can claim the Alpha and Omega in our universe? Think about that.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join