It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The speed of dark

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
The speed of "darkness" is the speed of light, DUH

Darkness is the absence of light, therefore the speed at which light retreats is the speed of darkness

yet another silly ats thread.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Ok, Dark is just the absence of Visible Light. Nothing more or less. Think of darkness as zero, and Light as a 1. The 1 replaces the 0's as it moves through space/time. And when Light moves from one location to the next, it leaves nothing(0) behind.

0 = nothing
1 = Visible Light

But even then, you cant "see" light, only its effects in everyday life. You look around yourself, what do you see? You see the result of Light, not light itself. And the only reason you know that there is an object even there is because light has reflected or refracted off of it.

Rekar

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by rekar

You speak the truth about light in the sense of relfections, this is fact. Do you think at all there is another possibility though about the implications of darkness?

I that this kind of subject is a little "fringe" but I also think that maybe somebody has another theory that may be a little out there but worth listening too.

So many questions about dark matter and the real reason why the universe is expanding at the current speed it does, also the reasons that galaxys are "glued" together even at the outer fringes of there existence.

Perhaps the blackness of space time has a secret we have not yet discovered.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I'm surprised no one has likes theory one: darkness is always there. My own personal belief is that there is a substance that light travels within, maybe a translucent substance, maybe like a circuit board for light, such that when light travels through it, it shows both particle and wave-like properties, like soundwaves through water. This translucent substance, smaller than photons, would explain the wave-particle duality. The only reason we can't know what this translucent substance is is because most of our technology focuses on the field of vision (light). In fact, modern science is fundamentally built on empirical (observational) experience, so basically, if we can't see it, it doesn't exist.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
When you speak of Darkness and Light, you are not speaking of two different things.

You are speaking of only one.

Visibility (Or, if you prefer, Electromagnetic Radiation)

There is only one thing we are truely talking about here...

"How much light is there?"

Having no light is not a separate "Thing" from haveing light... this is a dualistic approach to reality, and it merely overcomplicates the simplicity of reality.

Darkness is a word, that we use to describe the concept of a lack of Light.

Darkness and Light are the EXACT SAME CONCEPT.

In the same way that Low, is the absence of Height.

And Cold, is the absence of heat.

And Thin is the absence of Wideness.

Dark and light are NOT separate things, they are the SAME thing.

Just like left and right.

Is it possible to have a left side without a right side?

Is it possible to have north without south?

Is it possible to have wet without dry?

These concepts compliment each other, they are not separate things, but degrees of the same thing.

When people see some things as beautiful,
other things become ugly.
When people see some things as good,
other things become bad.

Being and non-being create each other.
Difficult and easy support each other.
Long and short define each other.
High and low depend on each other.
Before and after follow each other.

Therefore the Master
acts without doing anything
and teaches without saying anything.
Things arise and she lets them come;
things disappear and she lets them go.
She has but doesn't possess,
acts but doesn't expect.
When her work is done, she forgets it.
That is why it lasts forever.
Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching, Verse 2

Oh, and just an FYI... "Dark Matter" is a mathematical contrivance that scientists use to cover up the fact that they have absolutely no idea how Gravity works.

-Edrick

[edit on 19-7-2009 by Edrick]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by radio_for_peace

Exactly, my thought is there is some form of things we cannot see that makes photons interact with the known universe in the likes they do.

What or who says that energy is not the actual fabric or "darkness" of space itself. Perhpas there is more too it, perhaps there is something that we are missing about the most mundane of our univeral space, the thing in itself we can't see and therefore there is no interest.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Edrick

I lold in RL after reading the end of your post. This is so true, I do believe in a large sense that the leading minds in the business of the cosmos have absolutely no idea wtf is going on and are largely grasping at straws on a daily basis.

Thinking in this line of thought brought me to this topic to get some debate on ideas and spiritual inclination on what this subject can bring to bear on the universe.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Thank you Helious..... I have always wondered the same thing... How fast is the speed of dark or what is dark. The answer to a lot of people is " The absence of light" which makes sence... but I just cant help but wonder if it is more. I mean light has particles....does dark?

I agree this is a lil out there but so am I

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Helious

Ok guy's, you are approaching this Light -Dark subject with way to much simplicity. You need to find yourself a light wave chart like the one Edmund Scientific sells, It explains that there are many thing between light and dark , Infrared, long and short I/R, Radio waves, Microwaves, Ultrviolet, and many many more frequencies of particle waves like gamma, etc.

Please stop and realize that the human eye and man made machines are what allows us to see things. Our eye's cannot see everything in front of it because of the wave lenght of the light spectum.ie. A Wolf can see in the dark because it has Infrared night vision. Other animals can see the Human Aoura or that light that surrounds the human body. The human eye can see because light is reflected off of the surface of the the object we are looking at. if you turn off the light we cannot see it no matter how hard we stare into the dark. If there is very low light, it can take up to 20-min. for your eye's to adjust to maybe see the outline of the item you saw when the light was fully on. SO when you consider all the ramafications you should be able to conclude that the human eye is a marvelous organ that god gave us to see and communicate with thoses around us. KMG

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by kissmygrits

I agree that it is not a simple subject to discuss much less speculate about. I also agree we have eyes that don't allow us to see a vast amount of what happens all around us.

I didn't see anything in your post however that was anything like a speculation of how you see or view the subject matter.

My contention is that within the darkness may lie answers we have been seeking from the dawn of time and perhpas have eluded us because we do not understand fully what the absence of light truely means and do not understand that darkness itself could possible be a state of motion and energy within iteself.

[edit on 25-7-2009 by Helious]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
i believe that they are the same as has been posted previously. with a little practice, the dark becomes more luminous, and, at the same time, becomes a little less "unknown." i bet most would be shocked at how well (and what)you can actually see.

we are absolutely poisoned with light. the night is such a beautiful, awe-inspiring event that most never know thanks to big cities. it is much more interesting than "day" time.

however, people do not have the time for such things in the hustle of today's gotta have it now, gotta do it now mentality. so, most will take the absence of visible light as evidence of a empty, abysmal, state filled with nothing except the boogy man.

it's easier to grasp the idea of the two being one once you start thinking outside of a duality mindset.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Helious
Theory 1 - The dark, much like space time fabric is always present. When light is introduced it is much like stacking a piece of white construction paper on top of a black one, when you remove the white sheet, the black one is still there and always has been.

With this theory there is nothing noteworthy about the dark. It exits solely in the absence of light and is a "natural state".

This theory resonates with me more than the other one. Nothingness, emptiness, darkness never moves; it is already everywhere. It is like a blank canvas for life to be written on. Light is just balanced waves, passing through the infinite void. Your analogy with construction paper is interesting.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Darkness is the most pure and uninterupted form, sense, and presence in our existance.
Think about it, without it nothing would exist.
Light is just another form in reality, devised of what ever chemical,electricle, or means of particle excitement may be accuring at a given moment in time, moving in darkness.
Space is a very dark place. Without light, space would not exist, as we percieve it.
Anthing moving in it must have a mass greater than what I believe is percieved dark, or absence of light.
Darkess cannot move in itself, only light and matters.
So I think dark is motionless and everything else is moving within it.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Darkness is the absence of light. The light rays reflect off of an object and our eyes pick up that reflection. Without the reflected light, our eyes can't make out anything. Thus we see darkness.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by guillotinegleam

Spoken like a true rational mind. Something we have heard in this thread at least at a 50% ratio and in truth, there is nothing wrong with that.

It may turn out that this idea is exactly the truth and all it may seem. I however with my mind churning nightly on the subject as I ponder the universe and my own soul wonder if there wasn't something we were missing.

While it may all be indeed mundane and what it appears I was hoping for exaggerated ideas that go beyond the norm. Although I do appreciate the comment and will say that in the end you probably are right I think that the thought alone when one ponders the question is at least worth the oppinion and response from those who think otherwise.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   
"Dark" is just what we call it when we can't perceive our surroundings with our eyes. Cats see without light, right? If our eyes had their capabilities, we wouldn't have darkness

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I thought we should look at light first to understand darkness,so here goes :

Light is electromagnetic radiation, particularly radiation of a wavelength that is visible to the human eye (about 400–700 nm, or perhaps 380–750 nm.) In physics, the term light sometimes refers to electromagnetic radiation of any wavelength, whether visible or not.

The above was taken from wikipedia

en.wikipedia.org...

And thus

In physics, a black body is an idealized object that absorbs all electromagnetic radiation that falls on it. No electromagnetic radiation passes through it and none is reflected. Because no light (visible electromagnetic radiation) is reflected or transmitted, the object appears black when it is cold. However, a black body emits a temperature-dependent spectrum of light. This thermal radiation from a black body is termed black-body radiation.

At room temperature, black bodies emit mostly infrared light, but as the temperature increases past a few hundred degrees Celsius, black bodies start to emit visible wavelengths, from red, through orange, yellow, and white before ending up at blue, beyond which the emission includes increasing amounts of ultraviolet.

So darkness has an energy which so far is infrared mostly according to physics(which explains the wolves and night-vision),anything else i'm not sure off,but would be interested in other phenomena,on an astronomical scale especially.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Okiminletsdoit!

So darkness has an energy which so far is infrared mostly according to physics(which explains the wolves and night-vision)

Did not know this

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Darkness is just the absence of light. It has no speed, it only seems that way when we turn off the light because......well...there is no more light.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join