It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are Southerners so Fat?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by vortexpursuit

Yeah, you are right, but watch out for you weight it will just start piling up and no matter how much you do exercises it just sticks to you like that other member was talking about the butter and grease filled biscuits.

I personally find all you can eat buffet distasteful just seat in front of one of them and watch the people that hover over the food and specially children.

You will never eat in one of them again.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by severdsoul

As a born and bred southerner, who grew up working on a farm, I am here to tell you that from May until October, exercise such as walking, running, riding a bike is not an option. I have found, as I age, I don't want to mow my yard, even with a riding lawn mower.
As far as food goes, damned right we know how to cook. You can't make corn bread, biscuits, turnip greens, collard greens, or kale without bacon grease. Lard is acceptable if you don't have bacon grease.
Fried chicken, chicken fried steak with gravy(again made with bacon grease), pork in almost any form tend to add pounds.
However, I will disagree with the poster who says bar-b-que is fattening. I have actually lowered my cholesterol with a combination of meds and making sure meat I cook (except bacon, of course) is cooked on the grill, or bar-b-qued. A tremendous amount of fat is cooked off by cooking over an open fire, while the flavor of the meat is improved.
As an aside, there ain't nothin' compares with catfish, hushpuppies, fries, and white beans, along with fried okra and corn fritters. (For all ya'll folks that live up Nawth, and think catfish is nothing but a "trash fish," don't knock it 'till you've tried it.)
'Nuff said.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Everyone may be right about all the reasons for people being fat in the South, but...............

Have you seen our Georgia girls in their tight jeans!?!?!?

That is not fat my friends!

That fat back we add to our greens knows just where to go!

[edit on 10-7-2009 by getreadyalready]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I heard that. Love me some Georgia Peaches.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

I have to agree with you, summer is a killer, that is why I only exercise on air conditioner.

Any way I imagine that eating catfish most be a birth right thing because in the 12 years I have been a resident of GA, I can not eat the darn thing for anything in my life.

Now don't get me wrong, I grew up in an Island and sea food is the main diet, fresh catch still flapping in the cutting board.

But sweet water fish I can not eat at all including cat fish.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I lived in the Carolinas for 8 years split between NC and SC. It was while living in SC when I discovered what fatback was.

Pork fatback is used to make cracklings but, it is best used when making greens or black eyed peas. Damn good flava from that there fatback.

Oh and its also used to make lard. True southern cooks scoff at Pam cooking spray or margarine. Lard, butter or shortening all the way or no way. That is why Southern cuisine tastes so damn good.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

I miss salt and pepper catfish and all of the fish camp restaurants in the Carolinas.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by mrsdudara

Sorry to disagree, but when I walk in the grocery store, the first thing that greets me are the vegetables. And I purchase them. It's not the lack of availablity, but the price, and the preperation that makes the difference. In the south, we don't have green grocers, butchershops, etc. Your go to Kroger or Walmart. Prices for "healthy" foods tend to be higher. So part of the problem MIGHT be poverty, but the majority of it is culture.
As a white southerner, I will tell you that much of what we eat is something that we learned from the time when(regretably) people where held as slaves. They taught us white folks what real food was all about, something for which I will be eternally greatful, even if it leads to an early grave. After all, life without pleasure is not worth living.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
The obesity endemic in the south US is completely cultural. Although having visited the south I can say that there re some skinny people down there too. But I was amazed at the waists on both the men and the women there. Simply unhealthy and too big.

I say it's a cultural bias towards lazyness and over indulgence. Seriously. You can't blame the heat nor the humidity. It's what they choose to eat. they know it's not good for them but the attitude is screw it I want to be comfortable. Which is fine. but after a while you loose perspective and being comfortable leads to over indulgence.

I visit china on occasion. China is a lot like the US. The south china is similar to the south US> Hot Humid weather. Cultural differences. the people of southern china are not the same culture as northern china. Even the language is different. TO the northerners much like in the US they can't understand a thing these southerners say. their language and accent are so off. The mandarin speaking chinese. northerners, can't understand nor stand the southern cantonese dialect. So the cultures are similar. but here is where they are different.

The southern chinese unlike the southern US peoples are all skinny, and healthy. THe weather is hot and humid, sticky and uncomfortable. but instead of wearing size 48 waistline jeans they go bare foot and work in less clothes to make themselves comfortable. In southern china there is food everywhere. You pretty much have to be a f tard to starve there. Food kiosks every few feet. they are eating all the time. but they eat small meals several times a day. mostly they snack through out the day. So
Heat, humidity, and abundance of food is not a cause for obesity, culture is.

All that being said I'm now going to go right down the street to the corner of vanowen and hazeltine to get me some Mama's Southern Fired BBQ for lunch. They have the best BBQ rib sandwiches and baked/breaded mac n cheese I've ever had. Lucky I'm psuedo in shape and can afford a 1700 calorie lunch. Might even go for the baby backed ribs smothered in BBQ sauce.

Marge. I feel you on the catfish thing. I can't eat southern cooked catfish. my buddies from down there love it. me, I think it tastes like mud. The best catfish I've ever had was prepared in munich germany by a friends old dad a retired german banker. didn't know the germans even had let a lone ate catfish or that it would be some of the best cooked fish I've ever had, and I eat lots of fish. even go on 2 day tuna trips 100 miles out to sea to catch yellow tail and blue fin. But southern catfish ecchhh... PS don't go for the recent talapia craze. Talapia is a nasty fish that eats basically sewer run off- just like the catfish. Go for the sea bass if avail.

[edit on 10-7-2009 by BASSPLYR]

[edit on 10-7-2009 by BASSPLYR]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I don't know why but I'm scared from reading some of these replies...are you guys from another planet or something?!

I haven't been to the south that often, but even away from the Twin Cities in Minnesota, out in the small towns some of the food is pretty gross. One might even say low quality... quality is important where I come from but in the more rural areas they can get by with pretty substandard food....but of course they think its just great lol.

[edit on 10-7-2009 by ghaleon12]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by BASSPLYR

Southern fried catfish only tastes like mud if it isn't properly cleaned. There are little winglike pieces of meat around the chest area that have to be removed. They are what gives it the mud taste.

Catch your own, clean it and remove the "wings", cook and enjoy!

edit: forgot to close quote.

[edit on 7/10/2009 by TXTriker]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by BASSPLYR

I tend to lean towards your conclusion that culture is the reason, not climate, genetics etc.

As a Chinese my personal experiences is that it depends on very much what kind of food and lifestyle you have. My little brother only 15 months apart is a typical "Southerner" eating rice, vegetables, little meat etc, love to go out. While I loved bread, potato, and a lot of meat and love to play my Nintendo. Result? I am like 20cm longer than him and certainly much fatter.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
This theory does not make any sense, there are plenty of hot countries where most people are thinner and healthier. So the theory fails

[edit on 10-7-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by kettlebellysmith
reply to post by severdsoul

As an aside, there ain't nothin' compares with catfish, hushpuppies, fries, and white beans, along with fried okra and corn fritters. (For all ya'll folks that live up Nawth, and think catfish is nothing but a "trash fish," don't knock it 'till you've tried it.)
'Nuff said.

Dang now you are making me hungry.... you cant get hush puppy's up here, let alone decent fried cat fish.. and fried oakra.. oh man, southern pop corn. I can eat a bag all by my self.

bad part of becoming southern and moving way up north, sure we get some great wild game up here, but when it comes to whippin up some food that will leave you wanting more... no such luck..
Every now and then i throw a southern meal night, and cook for friends, just so they get a idea of what real eating is like. *lol* Almost all of them love it, and some have adopted a few dishes for their every day meals.

I fully agree, cooking on the bbq is much better for a person. Where i am living now, we cant have a grill.
But till then i would be out grilling no mater what.. you get realy unusual looks out side in the middle of a blizzrd flipping some steaks and corn on the cob.. but oh well, good food knows no seasons.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I have to agree it's a culture thing. I have family from the south and it's practically a sin for them not to offer food, and for you not to eat it, when you visit. Doesn't matter if you're hungry or not, they'll offer anyway and practically shove a plate in your hands even if you tell them you literally just ate before you got there.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I think its a hospitality thing, like saying 'mam and 'sir, which in the south is about the only place i have found that normaly occur, i tryed that up here... women get offended if you call them 'mam, not sure why.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
as i am right now eating my sausage sandwich....i am laughing at the stupidity of people in America.

i am country as the next redneck.

i eat jaw bacon i slice myself.
sausage
and eggs every morning.

work the farm bush hogging ..planting tobacco. or a garden all day.
even milking the cow's.
i eat 3 meal's a day and have no idea what calories i eat.

i am 6 foot 2 185 pound's that sure as heck isn't fat.

i eat the fat on the steak..more fat the better.

if it says pig product or beef or chicken i eat the thing...

what half don't realize..it's not the food we eat at home..
it's the fast food.

if i ate at mcdonald's or burger king for breakfast lunch and dinner..
i would be a lard butted farmer.

and it's no hotter outside than it was 15 or 20 years ago that i can remember.
heck 10 year's ago i remember -15 degree temp in January.
in kentucky.
and that same year +110 degree's f...

last few year's we are lucky to hit 100.

Want the truth?
Get ya butt's outside!!!!!!!!
Turn of your danged air conditioner's.
AND
Don;t be afraid of skin cancer lol

Work will not kill you.
Start slow....
then before you know it you can last all day outside in the sun with out sunblock lol

there is a reason god made shade tree's & wind!

man made them air conditioner's..
they make you sicker and sicker...

say you sleep under one...
walk outside to go to work what do you do?
start ya car drive to work with more ac on.
get to work it's got there ac on allso.

ever think about it?
it's not getting hotter you live in a freezer 99% of ya life.....

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

True dat.

Here in Northeast Alabama there are almost no sidewalks or bike lanes, and all the roads are so curvy that riding a bike is sort of dangerous.

There is a long bike-only trail that runs clear across the Georgia line but it isn't actually useful for travel unless you are going to or from Anniston, Jacksonville or Piedmont.

Lots of fatties here too. And they all drink "sugar-free" this and that which magnifies the problem.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAmused

I fully agree there, i eat meals out at a restraunt maby once a month if we are lucky, not because we cant , but because i dont like it.. I hate going to some place and ordering food that i have no clue what they did to it or where they got it from. i'd much rather stay home and fix my own.
Now the wife on the other hand.. she could go to a restraunt every other day and be happy... not that it happens..

A/C ? whats that *lol* actualy i have one.. i think its in storage... sure it gets warm here, but thats just a reason to go swimming, or fishing, or just out in the mountians watching the wild life.. takes your mind off the heat.

not only is the shade tree and breeze a good natural a/c its a grate place to feel alive. anyone that has had to stop and take a break under a shade tree and rest knows what i mean.. you get some time to enjoy what the world is, and admire things for what they are while you are resting.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I have to agree with the above post. While it is hot here, one of the main reasons for obesity in the South is the advent of air conditioning and cable TV. I grew up here 56 years ago and the temperature or diet has not changed. Children however, will not go outside after becoming accustomed to the 75 degree year round comfort of air-conditioned homes, cars, malls etc. When I was a child, intense physical activity was a part of daily life, whether at home or school. During summers, we were fed a traditional high calorie breakfast, put outside and rode bikes, ran through the woods, played baseball and rarely ate lunch. Most food eaten during the day was gleaned from wild growing plants such as blackberries, wild plums, sand pears, mulberries and the occasional stolen watermelon. After dark we would return home and again enjoy traditional southern cuisine. Today's youngsters primarily gorge on high calorie snack food, stay indoors and play video games. They grow up and find themselves intolerant to the heat, overweight and unable to exert themselves physically. As they age type 2 diabetes becomes a factor and they usually produce offspring with the same habits and health problems. Everyone needs to turn off the tube and the AC & get outside and become re accustomed to the natural environment in which they were designed to live.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join