It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jail plan for owning crossbows, flamethrowers

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Jail plan for owning crossbows, flamethrowers

www.news.com.au

THE NSW government wants to change prohibited weapons laws so offenders can be jailed for up to 14 years for illegally possessing crossbows, grenades, flamethrowers and other "military-style" arms.

Under proposed changes to the Weapons Prohibition Act 1998 and the Weapons Prohibition Regulation 1999, such weapons would be specifically listed as military-style prohibited weapons, Police Minister Tony Kelly said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
What are the laws in the USA regarding crossbow ownership?

I can't believe that the NSW government wants to possibly imprison a person for 14 years for owning a crossbow!!! Bloody hell, by the time they get out of jail, the next Guns 'n' Roses CD will be selling!!!

Are crossbows that dangerous to be classed as military weapons?

I worry every time when new laws want to strip the population of weapons. To me, the only defense against complete government dictatorship and control is an armed civillian population.

As if Australia doesn't already have tight gun laws in place, now crossbows are equally as bad?

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
we don't have many human attcks with crossbows, usually a few innocent small animals here or there, but not enough to warrant the banning of a crossbow.

But after all, we are turning into a nanny state within a nanny country.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Since the crossbow is a weapon of war, the answer is quite obviously yes.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

We are still allowed to own guns , so cross bows aren't on the radar screen yet. Flame throwers I am not sure about.

We have the same trend here. Someone is trying to ban guns and pocket knives. Dogs are no longer welcome at UN rest stops along the highways. I predict someone may try to pass a law banning long fingernails.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Last Man on Earth
reply to post by tezzajw

Since the crossbow is a weapon of war, the answer is quite obviously yes.

SO is a rock and stick. They were the very first weapons man used. So are you for them banning rocks and sticks as well. ANYTHING and I do mean ANYTHING can be used as a weapon in some form or manner.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Obviously more legislature by people who have no idea about what they're trying to legislate. They probably seen a movie that said a x-bow was deadly at 300 yards or something.

If I were interested in taking a shot (no pun) at a reign of terror using arrows, I'd definitely go with a long bow myself. Not much future in using either though.

I'd have to agree with the grenades and flamethrower although it would be fun to play with that kind of stuff.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
"THE NSW government wants to change prohibited weapons laws so offenders can be jailed for up to 14 years for ILLEGALLY possessing crossbows, grenades, flamethrowers and other "military-style" arms."

i think the term "illegally" is important in that sentence. granted, not many people are killed with crossbows any more, but that wouldnt be too bad of a weapon to use for silent killing at medium to short range.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Well, there are no restrictions on crossbows as far as I know, but there could be an age limit which would be 18, if it isn't law, then the stores that sell them will only sell them to 18 and over for lawsuit purposes.

I know Flamethrowers aren't illegal in America either, those fall under state legislation. So depending on what state you live in for flamethrowers.

So in Australia apparently you can legally posses hand grenades? I know here in America you can but you have to have a special type of license.

Either way Australia is really stretching it withe illegal possession of a crossbow.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

Er, yes, but the crossbow was specifically designed to kill people, and therefore is an effective way to do it. Yes, it has been superceded by gunpowder weaponry, but it is still a weapon designed for war.

Any fights with sticks and rocks cannot be considered battles, let alone be part of a war. If you can find a historical example to support your argument, please let me know, otherwise I'll assume you're creating straw-man arguments about the nature of mankind's violent tendancies.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a crossbow is also a tool for hunting your food, according to the UN's bill of rights (for what it's worth), the government can't interfer with your ability to hunt or grow your own food or something like that.

it there anything that you could use to bring down a deer, that well, couldn't be used as a weapon against another person? so, should we ban everything, all the way back though evolution to the slingshot, and well, say good bye to hunting?

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Last Man on Earth
reply to post by fixer1967

Any fights with sticks and rocks cannot be considered battles, let alone be part of a war. If you can find a historical example to support your argument, please let me know, otherwise I'll assume you're creating straw-man arguments about the nature of mankind's violent tendancies.

Tell this to Goliath. The police are way better armed than either gun owners or cross bow owners. I can't think of any good reason someone would want other people unable to defend themselves against intruders.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I heard tell that Australia outlawed or severely ristricted owing swords? Did that go through?

A good crossbow with a titanium point can pierce kevlar, needs no silencer and a car leaf spring makes an excellent one if you know how...

We built large ones for Medieval reenactment

But we can still own these in Nevada

As a matter of fact there are bill boards coming into town from the North that advertise fully automatic weapons that you can test and legally own in Nevada. John let his nephew fire one in the backyard

You can also own these...

Compared to that even a titanium tipped Kevlar piercing crossbow bolt is a kids toy

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
My little boy (6) could but a crossbow, if I went in the store with him.

But it will only be a matter of time. . .

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by The Last Man on Earth

Tell that to all the Palestine police that has had rocks bounced off there heads. Tell them that rocks are not still good weapons. I bet there are a lot of them with their head smashed that would disagree with you.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw
Are crossbows that dangerous to be classed as military weapons?

There was an incident where a college of mine told me about, he was a sorta second hand witness - he was basically there after the fact... (and I can't really say weather it happened or not)

He said that when he was a young guy in south London a bloke with a cross bow and mental issues punched a girl to the ground in the middle of a street near where he lived and then used the crossbow at point blank range... The girl was pinned to the tarmac and by the time emergency services detached her and got her to hospital she died.

I think the guy then killed himself somehow after he ran off leaving the crossbow, I think it may of been by jumping infront of something like a train or a truck.

Of course he could of killed using a whole list of other means, but in this example a crossbow was used.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

What the hell is that????

Seriously is that a mock up or a photoshop or something? Man that thing is bonkers - looks Russian to me?

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Reply to post by tezzajw

I'm not getting rid of my BTVS cross bow!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then

Originally posted by zorgon

What the hell is that????

Seriously is that a mock up or a photoshop or something? Man that thing is bonkers - looks Russian to me?

That is a Lahti L-39 20mm semi-automatic anti-tank rifle from WWII if I am not mistaken.

[edit on 7/4/2009 by fixer1967]

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
In Texas it is illegal to hunt game animals with a crossbow at any time, unless you have a physical disability that will not allow you to hunt for deer during bow hunting season..... A crossbow would be a great tool for supplying a family with venison during hard times.... Poachers would be able to deplete the deer population with one as well, just taking the back strap and letting the rest of the meat go to waste..... I can't think of a weapon that would be more suitable for taking out a guard dog or sentry at night without giving away our position or getting wet.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join