It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Adam and Eve Did What? A Visit to the Creationism Museum Makes Scientists Laugh, Cry

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Adam and Eve Did What? A Visit to the Creationism Museum Makes Scientists Laugh, Cry

www.alternet.org

For a group of paleontologists, a tour of the Creation Museum seemed like a great tongue-in-cheek way to cap off a serious conference.

But while there were a few laughs and some clowning for the camera, most left more offended than amused by the frightening way in which evolution -- and their life's work -- was attacked.

"It's sort of a monument to scientific illiteracy, isn't it?" said Jerry Lipps, professor of geology, paleontology and evolution at University of California, Berkeley.

"Like Sunday school with statues... this is a special brand of religion here. I don't think e
(visit the link for the full news article)

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 04:44 AM
link   
I have no doubt that some will find my thoughts offensive, but in my opinion this is the oldest conspiracy there is.

Control through religion is about the oldest form of control that exists, and although the teachings of Jesus were admirable the message has been lost along the way - conveniently brushed under the carpet by zealots who would use "the word" for their own ends.

Just to be 100% clear, I do not believe in creationism.

I DO believe that it is one of the most damaging forces that exists in the world today, when the "theory" is used for the sake of political expediency or for the purpose of indoctrination into whatever sect or religion a zealot happens to belong.

Don't get me wrong, I think that religion has a part to play in peoples lives, and in the modern world, if they feel the need to belong to an organised religion, but far too often we see twisted versions of it used to indoctrinate and brainwash people into believing a certain way.

As much as some people denigrate Islam, many christian (and other) sects are just as damaging in their way.

www.alternet.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Lisa Park of the University of Akron cried at one point as she walked a hallway full of flashing images of war, famine and natural disasters which the museum blames on belief in evolution.

This is what gets my goat, I bet many people will complain and the exhibit will get pulled and the true message will go unnoticed by the blinkered mass.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 05:14 AM
link   
The Bible says God made man from earth which coincides with the whole amoeba microbe theory. And in case no one knows there are numerous times where the Bible says man and is referring to mankind. Adam is generic like John Doe and Eve is generic like Jane Doe so we do not have to worry about any inbreeding going on in the Book of Genesis except for Lot and his daughters after the flood but from what I read they were just a couple of ho's and Lot was passed out drunk. ANYHOO, so yea considering God is capable of using the Big Bang to get the ball rolling, um yea , Science and Christians are both right. Only Science refuses to give God the credit but instead toss it over to chance. Amazing isnt it.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Here's a link to your cited article.

alternet.org

It's a shame that science has to be pitted against religion, but we can blame ideologues on both sides of the issue for the conflict.

I personally don't find many contradictions between biblical teaching and scientific teaching.

"God works in mysterious ways, his wonders to perform" and science helps us to understand those mysterious ways.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Reply to post by GradyPhilpott

I agree. How many arrogant conceited stuuborn humans will stand before God on Judgement Day and still insist He is not real but only a figment of his or her imagination? Deny Ignorance? Not from what I have seen from some of the people on ATS. Irony is more like it.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by max.is.awake

you dont know that...You Believe what you are saying but you really dont know.. know one knows for sure its all how its interpreted.the museum looks like fun not to be taken 100% fact. I would go for fun but some people get so worked up at anything that questions reglion. Its funny how you all attack another reglion with out a care in the world but when its yours thats in question is the worst thing ever. I wish for evryone to challenge those BOOKS and ask real question to the reglious leaders , Some know is BS and other really dont know and the fact that the litature has been motified for lesser educated supportsmy belief that reglion today
its a control tool.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by itsallalie

It's a serious museum,they are actually trying to peddle this crap to gullible people.This is the same museum that gives a date for dinosaur fossils as 4000 odd years...i mean,come on now...what tripe.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I find it ironic that these scientists are so condescending. They don't believe in God but they believe in a theory which is justified with flawed practices, like carbon dating.

[edit on 2-7-2009 by Totakeke]

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

I agree Grady - there are many scientists who are religious and see no conflict between science and religion.

Indeed, there are scientists whose religion drives them on to more discoveries, the better to understand it.

My problem, as ever, is with zealots, whether they be christian, muslim, jewish, whatever - and IMO they are interchangeable.

A christian who forces his beliefs on me regarding evolution vs Creationism, is as bad as a muslim who wants my GF to wear a veil, etc etc

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Right on, Budski- I live not far from the Creationist Museum (haven't been there yet, but I plan to- I'm a photographer & would like to record it for a laugh). The real underlying message of the place is NOT funny. Human history is full of instances where cult mentality took hold above all common sense, then as a result all Hell broke loose- a prime example is Nazism, which began as a political religion for the "common man". A good book that illustrates how this happens is Jacques Vallee's "Messengers of Deception", which is out of print but available at used bookstores.

reply to post by budski

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by max.is.awake

I agree. How many arrogant conceited stuuborn humans will stand before God on Judgement Day and still insist He is not real but only a figment of his or her imagination? Deny Ignorance? Not from what I have seen from some of the people on ATS. Irony is more like it.

I just wonder how many god-fearing and fear-mongering people will till the rest of their lives live in fear of god and praise a being who (if exist beyond this universe) is in a great way responsible for how the world sucks. God? Jahwe? He's more dependant on you than the other way around. But that just scares god-fearful man... oh God...

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   
“Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.”
- Albert Einstein.

The scientists went to the museum on a lark but then got upset.
Well ... what did they expect?? That's kind of a DUH!, isn't it??

Some scientists worship at the altar of evolution and don't have room in
their religion of science for the possibility of a God. That makes them just
as pig headed as those that cling to 'bible alone'.

The Catholic Church (One of Budski's more favorite religious institutions
) has recently said that God could easily have used evolution to create humans. It has also recently said that we are probably not alone in the universe. Both of these statements are light years ahead of the other Christian denominations and I hope that the other Christian groups will follow the lead. Of course, considering that some of them absolutely hate the Catholic Church, it could push them in the other direction and make them more firm against the possibility of evolution and/or space siblings.

One thing left out ... perhaps God used our space siblings to get life started on this planet. That's pretty much where my thoughts are on this matter at this time. It seems the most likely.

Yes I believe in God. Absolutely. Yes I believe there are creatures other than us in this universe (and other universes) that travel here. No I do not believe in evolution but I do believe in some kind of adaptation and natural selection (which are different then evolution).

Anyways, back to the subject, ... to the upset scientists I say ... 'duh!

[edit on 7/2/2009 by FlyersFan]

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Daryl Domning, professor of anatomy at Howard University, held his chin and shook his head at several points during the tour.

"This bothers me as a scientist and as a Christian, because it's just as much a distortion and misrepresentation of Christianity as it is of science," he said.
source

this pretty much sums it up for me, talk about a monumental waste of 27 million dollars.

although i do question the idea that scientists should be upset have their life work attacked by this. grow a pair.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by franspeakfree

Lisa Park of the University of Akron cried at one point as she walked a hallway full of flashing images of war, famine and natural disasters which the museum blames on belief in evolution.

This is what gets my goat, I bet many people will complain and the exhibit will get pulled and the true message will go unnoticed by the blinkered mass.
yes but to be fair to the entire human race, the message has been unnoticed by the blinkered masses. Well, and to be fair to the human race once again (twice in 1 day, it's a record!!) the story has been maliciously twisted to fit the means of the few, to control the many.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   
America is hopelessly ignorant when it comes to science. 6 ouf ot 10 Americans don't even believe in evolution!

Meh is what I have to say to that. If 60% of America is willing to voluntarily instill ignorance in themselves and their family, it juts makes it easier for the rest of us to succeed.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
My point is this: If there is proof of the big bang and proof of evolution and proof of life on other plans then good. Now I no longer have to wonder how God created life. Unfortunately no findings in the name of Science are engraved in stone. We will just have to wait and see how long it will be before Science has "new findings" that tell another story, right?

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
My point is this: If there is proof of the big bang and proof of evolution and proof of life on other planets then good. Now I no longer have to wonder how God created life. Unfortunately no findings in the name of Science are engraved in stone. We will just have to wait and see how long it will be before Science has "new findings" that tell another story, right?

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by max.is.awake

What on earth are you talking about? So by saying 'you'll stand before god on judgement day' then THAT makes him / her /it real does it?

Please stop using the words 'deny ignorance' in your very ignorant post. There's nothing ironic about anything you've just stated. Just fantastical nonsense.

Thankyou

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Totakeke
I find it ironic that these scientists are so condescending. They don't believe in God but they believe in a theory which is justified with flawed practices, like carbon dating.

[edit on 2-7-2009 by Totakeke]

And yet, i find it ironic that preachers are so condescending that they'll force man-made views of some fictional deity on other people, and will claim it as gospel.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join