It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are people jealous of the rich, intelligent, and powerful "Elite"?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Some of the elite are intelligent, many are not. Just take a look at George W Bush, a C grade student who can barely string a sentence together. A man who when asked what sovereignty meant to him was so utterly stumped it was painful to watch. Jelousy? No. I would hate to be rich. People might think that's just talk but i really woudln't like it. It's why i don't play the lottery

People are angry because it appears the "elite" are trying to take away rights and reduce peopel to slaves. Something i will not support.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
This thread is presumptive,if the OP had left out the "Why" in his thread title,then I would have felt "free" to say something.
As it is I can contribute nothing, it's a waste of time.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Im confused as to what a "rich" person may be ?
Is that over 100k a year, over One Million a year ?

If I made over 80k a year I would consider myself rich

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by grapesofraft
I always here people complaining about the "Elite" controlling the world and holding us all back. That is just ridiculous. We live in a country that is full of opportunity. Why is it that a person can come here from a foreign country and become successful, if there is some group of people that are holding everyone back? Why is it that a kid could leave high school or college and start a business and become wildly successful, if we are held down by the Powers that Be?

Because her/his business serves to enrich the elite in some way and is therefor permitted.

I think it is just a matter of being jealous of people who have developed the skills to be successful, while some people are incapable or unwilling to do what it takes to succeed.

Considering the skills to be successful in terms of 'the elite', "What it takes to succeed" as you put it, are basically sociopathy, corruption and greed and theft, I HARDLY think any person in touch with their basic humanity could possibly be jealous of such ethical and moral bankruptcy.

So tell me why is there so much hate of people who succeed, and why do you consider them a threat to you. Why do you call them the elite, when they are no different from you other than the fact that they have greater accomplishments?

I dont hate anyone, and I dont despise the successful, if they are indeed successful on their terms meritfully, and without damaging anyone else on the 'way up' as it were.

Elite is a term, that not only describes the 'best' of a society, but also referes to superior wealth. The Elite have made some amazing acomplishments, just look around at the wonderful world they own, control and create! They are a threat because they steal the common wealth, (10Trillion so far?) plan agendas that effect everybody based not on merit, but on simple financial capacity that have practicall destroyed our planet, and constantly propagate war for profit. (War involves this activity called 'Killing People')

They have NOT achieved their position by some form of meritocracy, rather used wealth (usually inherited) to maintain their position at the expense of others.

If you worked hard to get wealthy, you employ lots of people, and somehow managed to not be totally evil, Great job! well done! But after all the money is in the bank, thats were the true test of REAL elite begins, what to do with this incredible enabler! I've noticed a trend that the most wealthy of our world seem to be contributing the most to it's destruction and human misery. Why is that? How is THAT elite and HOW can that be worthy of JEALOUSY???

Then again, there is the human elite, people who work selflessly for others, and use parts of thier wealth to philanthropize communities around the world that desperately need it for the betterment of the greater good. You HAVE to respect that.

$0.02

peace.

[edit on 30-6-2009 by Trunkeight]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ohioriver
I don't think it is so much jealousy as it is a sense of injustice. I'm all for successful people. But most of the super rich cross the line from successful to criminal. How many times in the recent news have we seen corruption in so called rich people. Banker bailout, corruption, Madoff, Wall Street, GM, AIG Execs.

Yes, it is injustice. I am a retired nurse, and now a substitute school teacher. That is success, but the money didn't come with it. It's been enjoyable work, but hard work also. You have people in the film industry pretending to be other people and making millions, is that success or injustice? You have grown men chasing a football or basketball and they make millions. As I stated, I am a retired nurse, I saved lives. I now teach kids who, in this society, are messed up. Every time I see on make progress, I feel successful, but I'm sure not making millions doing it.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by aero56
You have people in the film industry pretending to be other people and making millions, is that success or injustice? You have grown men chasing a football or basketball and they make millions.

Yup, but who enabled them, who spends those dollars to watch grown adults play make-believe little kid games? Who pays those sports figures all that money by buying those tickets to watch men play kid games with little balls? I've never spend a dime buying a sporting event ticket, never, and never will. And, I wait to watch movies when the rental DVDs are being sold for $3 .. and after I watch them I loan them to my friends that are even cheaper than me. Those clowns aren't getting rich off me.

Funny thing, isn't it? While some harp on those making ridiculous amounts of money, many turn around and idolize them by buying those things that make the elite rich. The rich can't become rich without the willful cooperation and participation of those they got their money from. You want to stick it to the elite rich, STOP spending money on anything but the basic bare necessities in life and limit your purchase of nonessential items to like maybe one iToy a year. And, of course, even the elite rich stick it to each other. Yeah, that Madoff fellow jacked a lot of people that didn't deserve to get stiffed like they did, but he also wiped out a lot of snotty rich elite people too.

I have to say that something must be done with corporate raiders though. THAT is where most of the abuse comes from. An individual that owns and runs their own business can't jack themselves because they already own their business, but those publicly held corporations are owned by the shareholders, and CEOs of those corporations should have their compensation capped at what the shareholders are willing to pay them. Too many public corporations have been run into the ground by CEOs that have no vested interest in the business like a private business owner does, and something needs to be done to stop them raiders from running those public traded businesses into the ground.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

Yup, but who enabled them, who spends those dollars to watch grown adults play make-believe little kid games? Who pays those sports figures all that money by buying those tickets to watch men play kid games with little balls?

Not me. My attention span is too short to watch sporting events, and I only watch movies when they are on the tube.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by R3KR
Im confused as to what a "rich" person may be ?
Is that over 100k a year, over One Million a year ?

If I made over 80k a year I would consider myself rich

"I have walked on the surface of the Sun... witnessed events so tiny and so fast, that they can hardly be said to have occurred at all. But you, Adrian, you're just a man. The world's smartest man poses no more threat to me than does its smartest termite."

I'd be rich if I could truthfully say that...

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
OP.

You assume that "we" think all rich people are bad.

Nope.

There are bad poor people, and bad rich people.

But if one is holding a gun, and the other a button that blows the world up (a bit dramatic, yes...), wouldn't you be a bit more out spoken against the second one?

There is nothing wrong with banks, huge corporations, billionaires, etc.

There is something wrong with a few people up top at any of those places. Since they have economic power and political influence because of that - that is why people hate on them. They ABUSE their powers not for the good of human kind, but for the good of 5000 compared to hundreds of millions.

We are not talking a few pennies - see the current bills going through?

One after another...

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by FritosBBQTwist

A good point was raised by R3KR earlier; what is the definition of being rich?
If we are talking about the :"Kid with the gold spoon in mouth", thats one scenario.
But of coarse there is the individual whom may be rich in other ways.
To be rich in Love and compassion is an admirable trait.
To be rich in monetary weath, yet poor in areas of fundamental existence (as above); then this cn be seen as deplorable.
Esentially, to be financially wealthy, gives one the opportunity of great good. The problem is that the super wealthy rarely recognise this; if only for their own personl gain

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by KRISKALI777

I think it is quite obvious what rich we are talking about.

MONEY!

No need to take a literal sentence and make it metaphorical.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   
they have clubs - they ensure you do not... their clubs have secrets ... your club has baseball bats...
America is based on Deception and the decieved... just grab a thread and start pulling and see what unravels...

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 05:18 AM
link   
The real question is, why do the rich, intelligent elite think they are better than everyone else?

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   
the "Elite" where i come from in the UK have led very privileged lives. All will have received the best education at the most expensive schools in the country. After this they will go to Oxford or Cambridge from there with the fine contacts made they will be able to fill the professions , Lawyers , bankers and other high powered profesions. These people who have led this privileged life, believe it is perfectly fair and do not really understand why the rest of us are unhappy with the situation.

There is no meritocracy as we are led to believe. Elites have a massive head start in life and it's very difficult to move into that social strata.

The Elites look down on us common folk, although I find in this country we almost like to doff our cap to the gentry, keep us in our place like.
The fact we'll have a Tory government tends to support to this.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
"The End Does NOT Justify The Means."
WHO ARE "THE USELESS EATERS"?? ELITES ARE USELESS EATERS!!-- NOT THE PEOPLE WHO DO THE WORK!

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I am not jealous.

What I dislike is that they are given opportunities that others are not afforded. If your rich, you get to go the best schools. But you can be a good student, but if you can't afford Princeton, you are not going. They get the best healthcare, and buy whatever the need.

When it comes to health and education, all things should be created equal.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
This discussion is not really about jealousy of the rich, it's about the morally and ethical ways on how wealth is obtained and invested.
Not every person who invents something, writes a great song or book,developes a great idea reap the rewards of their labor.
Not everyone that is rich is intelligent and/or powerful.
Being born into wealth is a completely different topic all together.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Haydn_17
The real question is, why do the rich, intelligent elite think they are better than everyone else?

Exactly, I can bet the OP is probably some stuck up, snooty, trust fund kid who thinks he/she is more intelligent than us Just because they have wads of cash and probably no real power whatsoever!

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

"What I DO take issue with are those elite that USE the poor to obtain their power and wealth .. specifically the politicians. Take Obama for example. The only reason he got elected was because HE promised goodies, kickbacks, bribes, to the desperate poor. "I promise you health care by enslaving those that can afford to pay your bills and living expenses." .. "I promise you more entitlements by jacking the successful, the so-called rich!" NOW THAT is a stinking sin, and it should be a crime for a politician to make promises of kickbacks and bribes to the desperate poor and corrupt voters that get their kicks by coveting and jacking those that have more than them."

It seems to me you're either lying, or you have decided to Join the majority. As your OP SAID and I quote"

Yeah, it's not called jealousy, it's called COVETING! And it's pretty sickening to witness.

Hey, what does it matter what another has? Mind your own business. Would many of you feel better if everyone was reduced to the lowest common denominator?

Yeah, this is one sick world we live in. "Whaaaaa, I'm gonna cry, because they have more candy then me, whaaaaa, make them give me some of their candy, whaaaaa, it's snot fair, whaaaaa." I suppose everyone that is like that learned that when they were little children, and they never grew out of it and matured. I know some people like that ... crybabies they are. Humons should be forced to wear blinders. Mind your own business. Why should anyone care what another has? "Whaaaa, because we're little coveting crybabies, whaaaa."

Yeah, it's not called jealousy, it's called coveting. "Mommy, Timmy got a bigger piece of pie than me, whaaaa." "Daddy, why does Tommy get an extra scoop of ice cream? I'm gonna cry, whaaaaa."

So sad.

Where you implied that anybody who has a problem with anybody with money are BIG, COVETING, CRYBABIES.

Oh wait, OH I SEE!!! IF they take the money from us poor working folk and tax US out of the A$$ it's okay, But OMG if they TAKE IT FROM THE RICH WHO CAN AFFORD IT, THEN THEY'RE JERK OFFS???? What of LOAD OF BS!!!!
It seems like you are the one whom has never matured, as you think you're entitled to your money by nobody's merit, but your father's, NOT YOURS! And you don't want to pay taxes at the wild outrageous percentage that we POOR poeple pay...to bad two things you can't escape death and taxes and if I can pay TEN percent wage tax on My meager pay than you can PAY ten percent OF YOUR UNEARNED TRUST ALSO. WHat makes you think you're so high and MIGHTY. You are a loserm you are a failure as a human being!

[edit on 2-7-2009 by ldyserenity]

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Okay the OP and Divinorumus are both under the impression that people covet them because they feel elite and intelligent due to the fact they have enormous wads of cash. They are suffering from an over inflated ego, so I am staying out of this topic, since it's point, in the first place was to help them inflate their ego some more.

Nobody is jealous of the elite, nor the wealthy, and those that are; are not sitting in their armchairs whining, either, they're out there Busting their humps working on grabbing a piece for themselves. If you think that people out there sitting on their butts taking YOUR money, you really are psychotic, because nobody is stealing your money.

Unless you own a corporation, you are not paying that much to helping people sit on their butts, unless you call the retired americans Jealous, coveting, whiners; which by no means would be true because they worked for that money. Since most others (welfare & foodstamp,unemployment and SSI recipients) are required to go to job training or search for employment, or HAVE worked ion teh past and paid into those things themselves, being tax payers.
So who exactly are you talking about, Retirees, welfare cases, or the disabled? I am sure we'd all like to know.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join