It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Updates: UK Freezes $1.6bn of Iranian Funds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Iran Updates: UK Freezes $1.6bn of Iranian Funds

www.huffingtonpost.com

10:45 AM ET -- UK-Iran relations get more toxic. "Unsourced reports are circulating, meanwhile, that British banks have frozen $1.6bn in funds belonging to Mojtaba Khamenei, son of the supreme leader," the Guardian reports. And Reuters reports that Iran is temporarily recalling its British ambassador.
(visit the link for the full news article)

www.reuters.com...

[edit on 23-6-2009 by john124]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Well well well, this says unsourced, but this would explain why they really hate the UK now.

I doubt this money is legitimate, probably stolen or acts of fraud using fake names and passports in my opinion, using regime spies that operate abroad in embassy's. So if that's true they must have been itching to deport our diplomats.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 23-6-2009 by john124]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Hmm,so now the UK government are indeed meddling with Iran,right out in the open.After all the denials.Provoked?Yes.
We had the tit for tat expulsions of diplomats earlier today,and now this.
Gordon does not like provocation it seems.

I am still undecided if the UK Gov has been "the most treacherous" as the Ayotollah said,but Gordonco sure seem properly cheesed off with the Iran regime at the moment.

Really though,I imagine 1.6 billion(?)is chicken feed to those concerned...sort of like having your pocket money cut off for a week if you are a naughty schoolboy.
Tit for tat sillyness,its never a good idea IMHO.
It will not help the people in Iran fighting for real change,its more likley to escalate the idea of Iran as the enemy of the UK...
Which is what they want of course.

Its Gordon trying to be a hard guy,when its far too late for him to bother.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Eh?

Isn't that an Act of War?

There's more to this than meets the eye, especially regarding the UK.. The US are doing what they always do but the UK is being exceptionally sneaky for this whole Iran thing.

Maybe seeing as the US is under pressure and the UK have pulled out of Afghanistan, the UK are pushing the US/UK agenda in Iran while the US and the rest of the Allies do their thing in Iraq/Afghanistan..?

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo
Maybe seeing as the US is under pressure and the UK have pulled out of Afghanistan, the UK are pushing the US/UK agenda in Iran while the US and the rest of the Allies do their thing in Iraq/Afghanistan..?

Its Iraq we have semi left,not A'stan,
I for one damn well hope that is not the case.But hoping is one thing,what you said is certainly not out of the realms of possibility in our crazy world these days.

Switching from a public role in Iraq to something more clandestine in Iran is not something I would rule out,in todays climate.The Iraq debacle was/is mighty unpopular in the UK population,and any escalation to Iran would be the death knell of our current government.
But hell,they know they're gone anyway,so a little secret shennanigans to help the real long tem agenda won't make much difference,will it now?

[edit on 23/6/2009 by Silcone Synapse]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Not overly surprising.

I went to the full article linked to by the OP.

It nowhere in the article mentioned the "official" reason for the freezing of the funds.

I refer to:

1) Punishing Iran
2) Fraud
3) Theft

So and and so forth.

I am not trying to be petty, but we both sides of the story before we decide if it is right or wrong.

Does this now mean that the U.K. is now a worse satan than the US???

That may sound like a joke, but it is a serious and legitimate question.

[edit on 6/23/2009 by mrmonsoon]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon

No

The US only took over the position of Satan from the UK since WW2..
Its gonna be a while before ye can shake that off

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Not overly surprising.

It is a serious question.
For some reason,the Iran regime has singled out the UK government/apparatus for meddling in their internal affairs.

For once,the UK tops the pile even compared to the USA and Israel !!
Quite a shift in the rhetoric of the regime of Iran.Sure we in the UK,or rather our sad government have been accused of messing before,but the recent comments from Iran have seemed to make out the UK as No1 enemy.

Thats from the MSM over her in the UK of course,maybe its a different story in other parts of the world.

Makes me wonder,Truth is hard to find as usual.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
The iranian peopel rioting should look at the history of the countries helped by the anglo american empire.

Argentina = brought them sh1t
south africa = absolutely destroyed by uk
india = brought them forever war and a #ty country

Only country i see helped by america is south korea and thats just because of where it is. If it was not where it was america would let it go like the other american anglo empire past conquests.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by john124

"Unsourced reports are circulating, meanwhile, that British banks have frozen $1.6bn in funds belonging to Mojtaba Khamenei, son of the supreme leader,"

Where did this money come from?

Why is it in British banks?

I am having a hard time feeling sorry for the Khamenei's

I hope they never see their billion again.

www.guardian.co.uk...

[edit on 053030p://bTuesday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Not overly surprising.

I went to the full article linked to by the OP.

It nowhere in the article mentioned the "official" reason for the freezing of the funds.

I refer to:

1) Punishing Iran
2) Fraud
3) Theft

So and and so forth.

I am not trying to be petty, but we both sides of the story before we decide if it is right or wrong.

[edit on 6/23/2009 by mrmonsoon]

Sorry I don't know where the huffingtonpost got this from. I'll keep searching though, and if others have a look it may turn up. I can't imagine what MSM will make of this

IMO these frozen funds could be illegally obtained by the regime, so legally the UK may have done the correct thing. But we'll have to wait and see.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Reuters reported it.

They said the Economic Minister announced it in meeting on Thursday.
It is because of the nuclear sanctions issue.

[edit on 6/23/09 by makeitso]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by makeitso

Nice find!!!

Thank you for filling in that blank.

I guess they are "NOW" starting to enact some more sanctions.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Way to meddle in the internal affairs of another country. They had a legimate vote and now the losers are acting up. Not only that the world cheers them on. So there are some protesters out there but they are only a tiny speck of the population and they think they're votes count more than other people?
Amazing what the 'democratic' west has come to.
Freezing the funds is nothing but an act of crime against Iran.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
Way to meddle in the internal affairs of another country. They had a legimate vote and now the losers are acting up. Not only that the world cheers them on. So there are some protesters out there but they are only a tiny speck of the population and they think they're votes count more than other people?
Amazing what the 'democratic' west has come to.
Freezing the funds is nothing but an act of crime against Iran.

I couldn't agree more, not only is nutjob Gordon ruining his own country but he's meddling with the affairs of an innocent nation. It's official, the West has lots its mind. I hope this shill (Gordon, the flexible puppet of the elite) is overthrown sooner or later. Disgusting people and disgusting act of association fallacy. We should start punishing the UK for all of their imperialistic associations? no? so why are they doing this to this innocent citizen of Iran? If this is the case, it means they can seize the funds of all Iranians.

[edit on 23-6-2009 by TravisYah]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
It 's really a shame that the money has been frozen.
I mean, just look at the trouble its causing.
The poor terrorists can't get their payroll.

The Islamic Jihad terrorist group is complaining that a major scheduled payment from Iran has not arrived, with one source in the group saying “If money is not sent one way or another, we may have to close some agencies and bureaus.”

Worldthreats.com

top topics

join