It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do the dumbest threads get the most replies?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Before you all jump up and down and protest just hear me out-the title was just meant to get your attention!

I suppose we've all done it, put hours of work into a new thread that for one reason or another absolutely noone seems to care about.

Or, we ask what we think is a really deep, pertinent question only for a couple of one liners that earn stars to follow, with the original question getting lost in the ensuing jokes and banter.

We've all read the thread, claiming to have been contacted my a Martian working for the Navy involved in a top secret plan to destabilize the Western World. That somehow is still going months later with 300 replies and scores of posts and flags to boot!

I think these are all part of the joys of ATS, they are what makes it fun to be a member here. I believe that the querky, fickle nature of ATS members is what brings us back time and time again.

I do believe that most of the time, a good thread will be treated as such, but occasionally some do slip through the net!

I say all this not out of any malice for my threads, just as an observation of us in general, of the psychology of the ATS member. I think we are on the lookout for the wildest and most outrageous, while at the same time trying to engage our analytical and scientific minds. It's just amazing what we all find interesting, what we all think is possible, what we all think is impossible.

That's why all threads are important, from the outrageous two lined questions to the five paged, sourced, illustrated masterpieces.

Just a few thoughts I've decided to throw out there, no doubt to be ignored, as usual!(Joke!)

Edit to add I really don't believe in the title, it's just a hook to get you all to have a read! I really mean this thread to be a compliment to ATS members!

[edit on 12-6-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
personaly, i think its because stupid things draw stupid people..

its very true as well ... one metaphore off hand.

the people on jeremy kyle (or jerry if in usa) are mainly the stupid people of society , the fact their on the show prooves that... that in turn leads to more stupid people watching it religiously , then in turn they stupidly thing its a good idea and call up to air their dirty laundry on tv ... and so it goes on.

(im aware, on jerry ... many of the people are actors)

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I look at it like the serious threads are the news and the "way out there" threads are like a comedy show.

Both are entertaining but sometimes I just need a break from the real world and love reading about what some actually believe.

Sometimes one outweighs the other on the front page but there is always the search function.

I am in no way putting down anyone for their beliefs, but I do get a chuckle every day..

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Maybe your on peoples ignore list as you may have some truths they do not like, for this site that is saying something.

Thats why i cannot be bothered researching and doing a good thread, for 10 people to see it, and a few replies.

Stuff like electronic mind control on here people never want to touch even though it is real and effecting loads of people, just a no go for people.

+15 more 
posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
The real thing that frustrates me, is i'll answer a thread with a well thought out post, with tons of info on the topic at hand.

And not get one star.

The a hole underme who put

'You're dumb" gets all the stars plus 41.

Its a real wtf situation....

It's ATS Hypocrisy at best though.

Edit to add: Wow I got stars, I guess that means i'm not the only one who feels this way.

[edit on 12-6-2009 by Republican08]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Well it must be target demographic's.
A chimp in the jungle would think a computer was stupid and a banana brillant.

I have been a part of what I am sure you consider stupid threads.

link   

Originally posted by andy1033
Maybe your on peoples ignore list as you may have some truths they do not like, for this site that is saying something.

Thats why i cannot be bothered researching and doing a good thread, for 10 people to see it, and a few replies.

Stuff like electronic mind control on here people never want to touch even though it is real and effecting loads of people, just a no go for people.

What's an "ignore list"?

I wasn't really talking about my threads, just all threads. Have you ever read the last page of the most recent list, there's some interesting reading there, for many reasons!

I would hope that if someone puts me on their ignore list, am I notified?

Life is too short to worry about such things though, I live by the idea that not everyone can like me, so I may as well just concentrate on the ones that do!

Peace, Kiwifoot

link   
Unfortunately there is not much to add to a well thought out, and truthful post. It's the controversial ones that generate all the attention. On ATS this is especially true if the topic is about extraterrestrials. Do a thread about how you think your bellybutton lint is of alien origin, and you'll fill your flag bar in about two days.

link   
Surely your question of "Why do the stupidest threads on ATS get the most replies" was a rhetorical question!

Actually I find the question itself to be rather self-explanatory in answering itself.

That said, however, there are many different folks from many different strokes of life here on ATS. It really isn't therefore any of our places to determine for anyone else what is ludicrous and what isn't. We can make that decision for ourselves, but it is wrong to unduly judge others who may have different criteria and experiences upon which to base their own decisions.

However, if it is of any consequence, there are a number of us who aren't Agents of Disinfo, who do get a chuckle out of some of the threads that are more out there (at least from our perspective). After a while, you learn not to feed the Trolls or argue with the Blind, and just live and let live. There is a reason, after all, why a good sense of humor goes hand in hand with personal enlightenment.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
tbh, the only posts i really class as stupid go under the following "topics"

"i am possessed"
"i have trapped a demond and want to fight it, how do i bless my sword"
"i am from ashtar command"
" anything with anything to do with the blooming GFL"
"cloud ufo'"
"people that believe their in communication with aliens as they have seen a few ufo's in the sky and somehow think they summoned them"
"reptilian aliens/races" (im an icke fan, but just cant by that)
"any post that blames HAARP for anything and everythign that happens"

that makes me sound very cynical, but i believe most things unless its proven to be crap, or just completly outlandish.

the list is endless ... but the list of stuff ill accept and take in without thinking its stupid is way way way way longer than any list of things "I" think are stupid.

heheh fraterormus .... very good point, now i feel very stupid for replying to this post

[edit on 12-6-2009 by boaby_phet]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I'd add also that it seems a great many people here (seem) to not have the attention span or desire to spend time actually reading a thread, especially if it does not include photos or video.

It seems many will read the title and reply, skim the surface and reply, or read a reply and reply…

Some.

Not all.

I would rather have the replies of the few who really think about things and use logic and objectivity (doesn’t hurt to have a little science in your toolbox either) than a million flags and stars and no intellectual discussion.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
The real thing that frustrates me, is i'll answer a thread with a well thought out post, with tons of info on the topic at hand.

And not get one star.

The a hole underme who put

'You're dumb" gets all the stars plus 41.

Its a real wtf situation....

It's ATS Hypocrisy at best though.

Not to be the a hole underyou, but I have noticed this as well.

I always star the replies that appear to be well thought out, especially if it changes my mind about the subject..

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by cindymars

You're missing my point.

I'm not saying anyones threads are stupid, I'm saying they ae all important, and the fact that we're not interested in some but find others fascinating is what makes this place great!

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
dont worry Republican08 .... i gave you what you deserved
hehehe

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

Too true...
See that is your punishment for using your brains and hurting someone else's delusions. ATS used to be just the opposite of what it has become in this aspect. The reason for this is that the owners have also realized that the wacky stuff draws the web hits.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
There are threads I read for information, and threads I read for entertainment. It seems to me that most of the time, the threads I read for entertainment are generally more active. Nothing wrong with that, just a subjective observation.

I use "my ATS" a lot to keep up with good discussions that might otherwise be buried in the "recent post" board. Much of the time, the stuff I'm really interested in doesn't get a whole lot of attention. Not always.

I think there's another factor to consider: I'll come across really well thought out threads, with lots of research and references, and it reads well and is impressive, even persuasive. sometimes, though, these kind of threads inadvertently don't leave much room for contribution, unless one wants to continue the research, or is in posession of factoids that might be contrary to the OP.

Likewise, many of the threads that continue for a long time have that ever-present and always popular human conflict element.

If I enjoyed or just liked the thread, I flag it. Least I can do for the effort put forth.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
My guess is that dumb threads are really good "ego-baits" and since we are dealing here in ATS with ignorance and truth the egos are all hyper...

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

I don't think I did miss your point but I was a bit defensive.

How about someone link threads that were well thought out and got no love.

I mostly just go to things that interest me.
Politic's No been there done that got the teeshirt
Religion "
UFO's " do not give 2 snips about disclosure, I believe and that's it.

So really I would love to see some examples of threads that were ignored.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by cindymars

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here's mine, it's partly my fault it got left, because it was very late, and low ATS members, and I was just starting something I had caught upon.

And i'm sure i'm on thousands of Ignore list for being Atheist, and have a funny Username.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by fraterormus
Surely your question of "Why do the stupidest threads on ATS get the most replies" was a rhetorical question!

Actually I find the question itself to be rather self-explanatory in answering itself.

Okay, the title was firstly intended to be a hook, to get the post read.

Secondly it illustrated the point I was trying to make, that we all have varying tastes and interests with regards to topics. And what I may find a plausible hypothesis in a thread may sound like complete madness to another member, and to quote myself "that is what makes ATS great".

Please don't get hung up on the title!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join