It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pyramid Farm: Vertical Agriculture for 2060

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:01 AM
link   
The vertical farming concept is solution in the next hundred years, as earth land is insufficient for farming and there are even talks of Manhattan having vertical farm by 2060.

The Pyramid Farm is an incredible concept for the future of agriculture envisioned by professors Eric Ellingsen and Dickson Despommier. The design is based on the growing belief (is it fact yet?) that vertical farming will soon become a necessary lifeline in cities throughout the world. The human population is growing exponentially and increasingly more urban while the global food supply shortening. Despommier speculates that if nothing is done to advance current farming techniques, 3 billion people could face starvation by 2060. The Pyramid Farm offers a solution in the form of a complete self-sufficient ecosystem that covers everything from food production to waste management.

Source: www.inhabitat.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/022bb7688193.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cd47d0ce7b0e.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 11-6-2009 by sunny_2008ny]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Spiraling Skyscraper Farms for a Future Manhattan

As the world’s population continues to skyrocket and cities strain under the increased demand for resources, skyscraper farms offer an inspired approach towards creating sustainable vertical density. One of three finalists in this year’s Evolo Skyscraper Competition Eric Vergne’s Dystopian Farm project envisions a future New York City interspersed with elegantly spiraling biomorphic structures that will harness cutting-edge technology to provide the city with its own self-sustaining food source.

Source: www.inhabitat.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8a03ba50d4fc.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:26 AM
link   
great post.

to add to it, i surfed and found out this page which has got an essay on vertical farming and some designs too

Vertical Farming - The Future of Agriculture

The essay is at www.verticalfarm.com...

the design are at www.verticalfarm.com...

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by coredrill

to add to it, i surfed and found out this page which has got an essay on vertical farming and some designs too

Thanks for the page and design.

We will no longer need to have agriculture in farms and we can have agriculture in cities.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Looks to me like the pyramid uses more land than it cultivates, as for not needing farmland, wheat and beef production will still need land, as will corn, peanuts, all root vegatables,, as they [not beef] will need machinery to harvest them, I lived on farms for ten years, so I do know a little bit about farms, which reminds me, milk production takes up large amounts of land, grass in summer, hay making for the winter, and also silage for the winter. I think its something like 2 acres per animal.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by pikestaff

wheat and beef production will still need land, as will corn, peanuts, all root vegatables,, as they [not beef] will need machinery to harvest them

The machines will be installed inside these farms themselves and these will be special machines unlike the farm machines we have.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I thought the future was cloning beef in labs and growing perfect vegetables in a petri dish? I've seen the reports. If we can already do that now why waste time with pyramids? Put a Jetson's like vending machine on every corner that kicks out fruits and vegetables. Clone a full grown cow.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by pikestaff
Looks to me like the pyramid uses more land than it cultivates,

You know, that was my first impression, too. There's no good way to get the sunlight to the middle of the pyramid. I know they show trees there, but redirected sunlight doesn't seem to be as "healthy" as regular sunlight. I think that rooftop landscaping is a much better option where it's possible.

as for not needing farmland, wheat and beef production will still need land, as will corn, peanuts, all root vegatables,, as they [not beef] will need machinery to harvest them, I lived on farms for ten years, so I do know a little bit about farms, which reminds me, milk production takes up large amounts of land, grass in summer, hay making for the winter, and also silage for the winter. I think its something like 2 acres per animal.

Agreed there, too... and I'd hate to see the poor animals "factory farmed" where they lived their entire lives inside a concrete structure, unable to see the sun or graze naturally. I know it happens to many farm animals on the big farm, so my personal choice is to buy meat that is "organically raised" when possible.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
It's a pretty neat idea, but regular farm land would have to get absurdly expensive before somebody actually tried it.

reply to post by jjkenobi

You do know that cloning doesn't get you a fully grown organism any faster than the normal method, right? You'll be at the vending machine for two years as you wait for the cow to reach slaughter age.

Cloning just determines the genetic makeup of the organism that's being cloned.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by mdiinican
It's a pretty neat idea, but regular farm land would have to get absurdly expensive before somebody actually tried it.

reply to post by jjkenobi

You do know that cloning doesn't get you a fully grown organism any faster than the normal method, right? You'll be at the vending machine for two years as you wait for the cow to reach slaughter age.

Cloning just determines the genetic makeup of the organism that's being cloned.

You are referring to what cloning does today. Imagine what cloning could be like in the year 2060!

Then again maybe we'll all get all the calories and nutrition we need from a handful of pills.

new topics

top topics

join