It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aussie Senator questions Global Warming

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Aussie Senator questions Global Warming

www.news.com.au

FAMILY First senator Steve Fielding wants to debate the cause of global warming with government scientists before he votes on Labor's climate change legislation.
Senator Fielding recently returned from a trip to the US where he met with climate change sceptics who blame global warming on solar flares, not human activity or carbon emissions.

It is a theory he believes has some credibility.

"The issue that has been put forward is that over the last decade carbon emissions have been going up but global temperature hasn't,'' he told ABC Radio today.

"What I heard at the conferen
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Some good news at least
Glad to see some politicians here are questioning and challenging the climate change theory! Hope fully there will come some great debate about this and the media give it its much needed attention!

"What I want to do is take the information that I've currently got and give it to the Rudd Government and their scientists and see what they say about it,'' he said.

"If the answer is 'look, it's just rubbish and we're just going to discount it', well I think that's not good enough.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by dallas18

This is great news. Finally someone in Government see’s the light!

I’m really really getting sick of this whole “Manmade Global Warming” and Carbon footprint Crap. The University I go to is huge on it, and it gets rammed down our throats all the time. I’m yet to meet one person at my University that agrees that it’s probably a natural cycle, they all seem to fall for the typical media crap and Al Gore crap and just follow the crowd (and I thought University was about free thinking?).

If you dare suggest that it might be a natural cycle (as has been proven) or attempt to point out that even Mars and Pluto are warming (without the help of man). They look at you like you’re an idiot. Or if you point out that yes while some glaciers are melting, some are actually growing and that Greenland now has more ice than ever before, they just ignore it.

I’m just glad to see someone in Government finally start to look at the real possibilities that it has nothing to do with man, instead of just following the crowd or “in” thing like most Politicians

Mikey

[edit on 8/6/2009 by Mikey84]

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Ok I'll take the other side of this argument... I have seen the evidence of global warming data as being a real threat to the planet. It is pretty negligent to think our waste does not pollute the environment. Not a blind opinion, look at the data collected by NASA and the studies which specifically looks at the massive ice melting on other parts of the world. For me, its pretty clear that global warming is more than theory when the science data supports it.

The aussie senator may have a regional agenda and since global warming is less impacting Australia than say Greenland... one can see factors that support that position. Politicians are sometimes bought and paid for by large corporation that constantly pollute and get quite wealthy doing it.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by dallas18

Family First Senator Steve Fielding says increasing levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere might not be causing global warming.

He has been at a climate change conference in the United States where he heard that solar flares could be linked to temperature change.

www.abc.net.au...

this bloke can be a pain at times although he is on the ball on this one
go you good thing.. thanks for the thread

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I think global warming is happening and is caused by pollution to some degree, but it scares me that people can use this as an excuse for totalitarianism.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
i do believe pollution is bad for the planet but i do not believe it is the primary cause for global warming and climate change. i believe the sun is the major factor there. i think every body would like to see a green future which is why its easy to sell to the population this bogus climate change theory.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
CO2 is less than %1 of the atmosphere, [383 parts per million actualy] so how can that little have so much effect? Methane holds 20 times more heat than CO2.
Humans put seven billions tons per year of sulpher, CO2, methane, hydrogen, helium, trace gasses [like argon] and particulates into the atmosphere, volcanoes do the same some of crap, 10 billion tons of it, and volcanism has gone up %300 in the last 2,000 years.
The Brit met. office has issued a global temerature graph showing CO2 going up, and global temperature going down since the year 2000. ask the greens what they think about that, you will not get a reply.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by mapsurfer_
Ok I'll take the other side of this argument... I have seen the evidence of global warming data as being a real threat to the planet. It is pretty negligent to think our waste does not pollute the environment. Not a blind opinion, look at the data collected by NASA and the studies which specifically looks at the massive ice melting on other parts of the world. For me, its pretty clear that global warming is more than theory when the science data supports it.

I don’t think anyone is saying that Global Warming doesn’t exist, it’s clear that the temperature is changing.

What I’m saying and what a lot of evidence shows is that Global Warming is a totally natural cycle, it has been getting cooler and warming since the history of this planet. Other planets are going through the same change, without man!

As said before Greenland now has more ice than ever before, the world has actually been cooling down in some parts since 2000. (this is why they changed the term to “climate change” as opposed to Global Warming, as they started to look at bit silly).

This planet is not at risk from man, it’s pretty ignorant to think that this planet is so weak. It has been around a lot longer than man, it has been through much more severe periods.

Man make be a risk to themselves, but this planet will still continue on, with or without us. Give the Earth a bit more credit.

Climate Change is nothing more than a natural cycle that has happened throughout history, on our planet and others. Carbon trading an carbon foot prints are just a grab for money, votes and popularity, they sad thing is, most people believe it.

Mikey

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Well... yeah the sun has something to do with global warming, but that is completely beyond our control. If you do no believe is a man-made impact... take a trip to LA or any polluted city on a sweltering hot day. Man just think if cars didn't have catalytic converters... youd be breathing from an exhaust pipe. No question there are natural factors at work, but gives nobody a reason to be irresponsible with our air or water supplies which are finite and fragile. Take a look at the 2008 Global change data highlights. Just cut down the rain forests and keep burning fossil fuel and pretend nothing will happen. Just what do you think scrubs our 02?

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   
here is a related article.

link

The Victorian MP, who branded the Greens "fanatical" believers in climate change, yesterday spent 45 minutes drilling White House climate change adviser Dr Joseph Aldy on the subject during his self-funded trip to Washington DC.

"I wouldn't call myself a sceptic or an extremist," Fielding said after the meeting.

"The Greens are in the extreme camp and like any fanatical group, they're locked into ideology," he said.

He said White House scientists had assured him there were links between carbon emissions and climate change.

haha ofcourse

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mikey84

As said before Greenland now has more ice than ever before, the world has actually been cooling down in some parts since 2000. (this is why they changed the term to “climate change” as opposed to Global Warming, as they started to look at bit silly).

You got any data to back up this statement. I read just last summer that Greenland was losing massive chunks of ice, some as large as 10 sq miles. The ice melt line record was broken in 2002 and the observation data computed last year was like 200 cubic kilometers per year derived from NASA GRACE satellite data. I have not heard Greenland's situation was improving.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by mapsurfer_

Originally posted by Mikey84

You got any data to back up this statement. I read just last summer that Greenland was losing massive chunks of ice, some as large as 10 sq miles.

We have historical evidence, you only need to look at the Vikings who settled Greenland, and the reason it was called Greenland.

Back then, it had a much warmer climate and was lush and green.

This is generally common knowledge, but if you really need me to go find details on the Vikings and their settlements in Greenland I will.

While Greenland has got Ice Melting (not surprising, seeing as that’s what Ice usually does). A long time before “Climate change” Greenland didn’t have as much ice and had a much warmer climate.

Also, people who believe climate change is down to man always point out the melting glaciers (again, this is ice and it eventually does melt). What they forget to point out is the glaciers that are actually growing, like this one here

And lets not forget that the Antartic Ice is also growing, see Here

We have been in and out of cold spots before (called the Ice Age), again, man was not around then to change the weather either.

Mikey

[edit on 8/6/2009 by Mikey84]

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   
But climate scientists said Senator Fielding had been misinformed, while Greens leader Bob Brown said the solar flare theory had already been rebuked.

"His thinking is somewhere about 1985," Senator Brown said.

"He's very slow on understanding the science and he's made the remarkable decision to go to the sceptics before going to the global scientists, and he's already today being rebuked by some of them."

"It's only a pity that some of the flare on the sun wasn't being shone on Senator Fielding in understanding the threat of climate change."

The former chief of atmospheric research at the CSIRO, Graeme Pearman, said there was no evidence recent warming was due to solar activity.

www.news.com.au...

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   
My one and only question to experts on “Man Made Climate Change” is this:

Why is Mars also warming up without the presence of man?

Simple question.

Not to mention that Pluto and some of Jupiters Moons are warming.

Mikey

Mars Warming

new topics

top topics

join