It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7 things that Are Killing You!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
S & F

I think the above seven are part of the reason for the U.S. having the largest percentage of sociopaths globally. Without the proper nutrients to fend off the excess toxins, the brain losses it's ability for higher cognitive functions like empathy.

Not only are we being poisoned by what we ingest, it's happening through the air we breathe. I personally think it's in everyones best interest to supplement nutrients or take a variety of herbs & super foods to help detox the overly burdened man of the 21st century.

[edit on 8-6-2009 by unityemissions]

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Considering fluoride has been in water supplies for the past 50 years or so, there must be literally millions of victims that have died from fluoride poisoning (from fluoridation, not accidental poisoning). There must be whole cities where the citizens are all affected by fluoridation illness. Shouldn't be too hard to find some links. Got any?

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 02:08 AM
link   
yea, a lot of this stuff is things i try to avoid but cant always.

i've never liked puttin sunscreen on, in fact have refused to since i was like 6. i just always figured it was bad

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte
Considering fluoride has been in water supplies for the past 50 years or so, there must be literally millions of victims that have died from fluoride poisoning (from fluoridation, not accidental poisoning). There must be whole cities where the citizens are all affected by fluoridation illness. Shouldn't be too hard to find some links. Got any?

I don't enjoy repeating myself, but it's important I do here.

(FROM MY OP)

In a number of small villages in Sicily, Turkey and India there is naturally occurring fluoride in the water ranging from 0.7 to 5.4 ppm. Here the villagers and their livestock are chronically ill, while neighboring villages with no fluoride have no such illnesses. Premature aging is the overall effect. Children have brown decaying teeth; young adults often have none. Young men are bent over and crippled with pain in their joints and hips. Their skin is wrinkled and they look 60 at age 30 to 40. There is premature hardening of the arteries, loss of appetite & sex drive by age 30. The rate of stillborn miscarriages by 4 months is extremely high.

Keep in mind that they are speaking of Naturally occurring fluoride, at levels that are generally much higher than the 'dose' that is added to our water daily. So the results are more drastic, much sooner.

In our case the poisoning is slower, and due to lack of awareness of the issue, the symptoms are often blamed on other things as I also stated. Additionally, it's worth noting that in any society with almost any slow poisoning, its effects will only be be rapid and devastation in a small percentage, others may take decades to experience one symptom.

What isn't fully known yet, is the effect that fluoride has on mental health, let alone it's already numerous PROVEN adverse effects. Though it has been linked to making humans more docile and airy.

Enjoy your ride fellow Canuck.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by king9072...at levels that are generally much higher than the 'dose' that is added to our water daily.

And that's the key. Much higher levels. BTW I was talking about N. American victims of the policy of fluoridation. And it's been decades, five of them.

Fluoride does not make us more docile. That is a myth. Nazis didn't use it.

I'm not disagreeing that fluoride is poisonous at high dosage. Lots of things are. But if it was as bad as the fear mongers make it out to be, there would be a lot of victims in which we could pinpoint fluoridation as the cause. That just isn't the case.

[edit on 8-6-2009 by TheComte]

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte

Originally posted by king9072...at levels that are generally much higher than the 'dose' that is added to our water daily.

And that's the key. Much higher levels. BTW I was talking about N. American victims of the policy of fluoridation. And it's been decades, five of them.

Fluoride does not make us more docile. That is a myth. Nazis didn't use it.

I'm not disagreeing that fluoride is poisonous at high dosage. Lots of things are. But if it was as bad as the fear mongers make it out to be, there would be a lot of victims in which we could pinpoint fluoridation as the cause. That just isn't the case.

[edit on 8-6-2009 by TheComte]

Lets assume for a minute that Fluoride is an absolutely safe chemical, and that it has no detrimental health effects what so ever. Since it's more toxic than lead, and only just slightly less toxic that arsenic, we'll just say it's harmless.

Instead, lets focus on just one thing, Dental Fluorosis. I would definitely consider that something that people suffer from, and would also make them victims of unnecessary harm brought about because of a profit motive.

Source.
The aim of this study was to investigate the relationship between nutritional status and dental fluorosis in areas with fluoride in the drinking water in Paraíba, Brazil. Rural villages of comparable low socio-economic status and stable water fluoride levels were selected. Lifelong residents (6-11 years old, n = 650) were examined for nutritional status (height-for-age index; WHO methods) and dental fluorosis of central incisors and first molars (TF index). The sample was divided into three groups according to fluoride levels in the drinking water: low (below 0.7 ppm F, n = 164), medium (between 0.7 and 1.0 ppm F, n = 360) and high (above 1.0 ppm F, n = 126). Dental fluorosis was observed in 30.5, 61.1 and 71.4% of the children in these F groups, respectively. The prevalence was significantly related to the water F concentrations (chi2 = 59.93, d.f. = 2, p

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   
my uncle was the head of water treatment in a particular city in Australia.

a few months ago, just after i learnt about flouride, we had a family dinner.
He got a little emotional about his old job ( he is retired) but said one of his proudest moments in his life, was being able to help millions of people by overseeing the introduction of flouride into the city's water supply.

i kept my mouth shut. this was his moment. sigh...

it was kinda heart breaking.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 02:56 AM
link   
You just outlined the Western Diet

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by contemplator
You just outlined the Western Diet

Thanks for noticing, and on a totally unrelated topic, anyone know why North Americans are so unhealthy?

[edit on 8-6-2009 by king9072]

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2theC

He got a little emotional about his old job ( he is retired) but said one of his proudest moments in his life, was being able to help millions of people by overseeing the introduction of flouride into the city's water supply.

Lol, oh man.. Yeah.. I can just see him wiping the tears of joy as the barrels of flouride are dumped into the water supply. Ever seen the barrels? They have skull and crossbones on them.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by contemplator

Originally posted by 2theC

Lol, oh man.. Yeah.. I can just see him wiping the tears of joy as the barrels of flouride are dumped into the water supply. Ever seen the barrels? They have skull and crossbones on them.

So ignorant, all you do is focus on the Skull and cross bones, why didn't you focus on the beautiful brown, pitted teeth and receding gum line of the skull and cross bones. Sheesh, and some people reject it's benefits.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by king9072

maybe thats why i kept my mouth shut!!

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Excellent work, King! You've made a well-supported report, and I can't thank you enough for taking the time and care to do so.

Water is such a vital and precious thing, and most of my life I have taken it absolutely for granted. Perhaps you will choose to expand your feature into some of the oddities regarding bottled water and the problems with RO and distilled water. For example, according to the CDC, the FDA does not require bottled water manufacturers to list the fluoride content, unless it has been added.

We acquired a Big Berkey three years ago, and I agree with you -- it seems to be the best all-around filtration system. I filter both well water and rainwater, and it works equally well for both, is easy to use and maintain. One note regarding Berkey filtration system -- if a person wants to filter out fluoride (as well as other related contaminants, they need to get the optional P-4 filters, which filter by adsorbing, which means a more frequent changing of filters than the standard ceramic filters used with Berkey systems.

Great thread, and really beneficial.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Excellent. My dad has been on my case for a while now to be very careful not to consume food and beverages that contain artificial sweeteners, particularly aspartame. I stay the heck away from diet drinks especially.

Let's also add some other chemicals to the list which can be readily identified in all too many personal care products and cleaning products:

Polyethylene glycol (PEG), lanolin, diethanolamine (DEA), isopropanol, triethanolamine (TEA), propylene glycol, aluminium, ether, methylene chloride, acetone, mineral oil, triclosan, and the big one sodium lauryl/ laureth sulfate (SLS/ SLES)

.. to name but a few.
Everywhere I go, I look for these chemicals in various products, and I can tell you, they're literally everywhere. I was shocked to find out that they were so commonly used! All of the mentioned chemicals can be found in either hair care products, hair sprays and styling products, hair dyes, toothpaste, mouthwash, antiperspirants, baby products, bubblebath and bodywashes, soap, shaving cream, skin care and cosmetics, fragrances, sunscreen and nail treatments.
And I'm sure these are not strictly limited to this list alone. .

Too many times I've picked up an eco-friendly dish-washing liquid to find sodium laureth sulfate used as a primary ingredient - SLS/ SLES is used in the industrial industry in engine degreasers, car wash soaps and garage floor cleaners. It can lead to direct damage of hair follicles, skin damage, eye damage and even liver toxicity.

Many of these chemicals are either linked to cancer in animals and/ or humans, or are often contaminated with carcinogens, or readily form carcinogen nitrosamines when mixed with other ingredients - such as fluoride, propylene glycol, PEG and acetone; many are identified as accumulating in the organs - such as triclosan, aluminium, and again fluoride and propylene glycol; and many are neurotoxins, which damage the central nervous system or are Teratogens, which affect the embryo, including ether, propylene glycol, lanolin, acetone and methylene chloride.

Propylene glycol can also be found in tyre sealant, rubber cleaner, de-icer, stain removers, fabric softener degreaser, paint, adhesive and wallpaper stripper. It acts as a humescent, which causes retention of moisture content of the skin.

Obviously, products containing these ingredients are allowed on the shelves because the amounts of chemicals used within are not dangerous enough to harm on an individual level. However, it is my belief, that prolonged daily use of products containing such toxins can build up to cause diseases such as cancer.

Think about it.

Decades ago chemicals were not as widely or commonly used as they now are. Toxicity and pollutive levels have gone through the roof and nutrition levels have plummeted.

People are so blind to this information, en masse, it's very frightening.
Statistics stand at something ridiculous like 1 in the 3 people will now develop cancer at some point in their lives.

Proactive Health

What is going on here??

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by pretty_vacant

I wanna give you 10 stars. Perfect addition to the thread. As I mentioned earlier, I set out today to write about 10 topics, and interesting enough, Aluminum in Antiperspirants and aerosol sprays were two of the slated topics and you covered both of them plus much, much more. I've written extensive threads before and it seemed as if people just got overwhelmed and left without commenting, so I tried to keep the length of today's down. I could have written those 3 pages on prescription drugs or fluoride alone.

But now even I got to learn something new
Thanks a lot

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Regarding if water fluoridation poisoning is a myth, I think if an ATS'er had the dough to cough up for this pamphlet, the evidence may come out.

I found a supposed original pamphlet by Charles Eliot Perkins titled : The Truth about Water Fluoridation. This author is a person often quoted on truth sites about fluoride. The seller is asking a hefty price, but considering the age, rarity, and usefulness of such information, I consider this a bargain. If someone doesn't order this soon, I may just have to.

Here's the link the truth about water fluoridation

[edit on 8-6-2009 by unityemissions]

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Why do you all just star and flag like muppets ? Why not do some research and follow the links ? Why not THINK FOR YOURSELVES !!
Sure a lot of these things are uneeded in our lives, are not wanted and can be done without - but the the general theme of this thread is nothing more than claptrap !

Prescription and over the counter Medication

Next time you are the dentist having a tooth pulled say no to teh pain releif. When you have a peptic ulcer eating through your stomach lining - say no to drugs, when you are suffering AIDS - say no to life saving drugs-- my god I can not believe you actually posted this in good faith.

Fluoride
One of the greatest advances in modern hygene - not sure if any of you have seen the effects of poor dental health. This is the BIGGEST ruse of all time.

MSG
This is probably THE MOST tested substance on earth - it is also naturally occurring and is a flavour enhancer. To be specific the only thing ever discovered about this product was a very mild headache - less than that from over eating sugar. Absolutely not true.

Artificial Sweeteners
There was an issue with some early products which were removed. Since then the urban myth remains and greedy points seekers on ATS do well with SUCKERS on this point. This URBAN MYTH was dissolved in the early 80's.

GMO Foods
What does the O stand for ? Thats right you don't even know. Follow this link and it deals with MONSANTO and their nefarious approaches to cropping which is an issue in itself. There is absolutely NOT ONE SINGLE HEALTH RISK ESTABLISHED FROM THIS - the link deals with such things as allergic reactions which would occur naturally. The ethics of GM (thats right GM NOT GMO) are quite a seperate matter - again spurious lies intended to glean points.

Disinfection products and others
Interesting - probably the greatest health benefit of the past century was hygene - go on stop washing your hands, stop disinfecting the hospital surgery, etc. Joke.
There is of course a truth in the fact that Americans over santize -yes. But really much worse to your health is the fact that there is # in the food - yes its true due to lack of sanitization.

Plastics
Petroleum based products have the potential to cause harm - that is why they tell you not to refill bottles because after about 500 refills it will start to break down - ummmmm????

Honestly - appalling thread.

How about the FACT that the government has been conducting atmospheric nuclear testing for half a century which is probably the leading cause of cancer in the world today ?

Or the FACT that the EU has only just passed legislation to prevent over 30,000 known carcinogens bein used in the food manufacturing process ?

Or the FACT that your vegetables and fruit is gassed so that it stores longer ?

Or that your salad products are washed in bleech and chlorine ?

Or the FACT that pesticides are the leading cause of birth defects ?

Why don't you do some real research and present some REAL problems rather than carte blanche tabloid posting in an attempt to just grab points - IT RUINS THIS WEBSITE FOR EVERYONE.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Great thread.

Despite the debunker's, I agree with much of this. You do have to remember, as some have said, that some of these products to have benefits that probably out weight the disadvantages. In the end the consumer has little choice. I remember reading somewhere that the rates of cancer in the last 40 years has grown ten fold to the 40 years before. No one can explain that, other then its our modern life style in the western world and the amount of chemicals we induce due to things like the products mentioned by the OP in our everyday lives. Remember in the past we never had things like fluoride in the water. Sure our teeth were worse, but cancer rates were lower as well.
The thing is, there is no life time testing of many of these products, so no one really knows what the long term effects of many of these things are. In the end it doesn't matter. Its just another risk we take in our daily lives, like jumping into a car and driving down the road, which is one of the most riskiest things you can do.
So avoiding these things is probably a good idea, but they are not truly proven dangerous taken in the quantities we do in our daily lives.

Just my 2c

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by audas

Hello, angry person,

I'll tell you what I find "appalling". You've come in this thread, countered the research of the OP with nothing more than your rhetoric. If you believe so strongly, why not arrive with your own linked certs, and then there is something to debate, to discuss. That's the benefit of these threads, don't you think?

People give a star and/or flag when they like the content. You don't think it's worthy, you withhold your flag, shine it up, tuck it away someplace safe.
There have been threads that I didn't agree with/enjoy that got what I thought was an inordinant amount of flags. It happens. Insulting those who disagree with you is nonproductive. There's a FACT for you.

cheers

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by audas

I provide ten's of sources, you provide none.

Life or death situations could be used for those rare occasions, for instance I was given 2 tylenol 3's when I got my Wisdom Teeth out. And they worked, but I would never just eat a Tylenol at home cause something didn't feel right. The over use of these drugs makes them less useful when you actually need them.

When someones back gets sore, instead of strengthening the back and stretching it properly to solve the cause of the pain, they take a pain reliever prescription or over the counter medication. I call it the "Band-aid on the broken leg syndrome", temporarily remove the symptom while the cause gets worse.

If I had to I could list 100 sources that say that prescription pain relievers can and are hell on earth for some users. Oxycotin being one of them, or as it's known on the street, synthetic heroin.

The profit that comes from all of the things I have listed forces these products onto us, regardless of their safety.

Did you even both to read the source about how much the Prescription drug industry spends on lobbyists? Or was that just another inane fact? They employ the largest group of lobbyists on earth, and you think our best interest is in their mind?

Did you try and support artificial sweeteners as safe when they are widely known to be unsafe? Multiple studies highlighting how unsafe they are and how they often cause terrible adverse reactions? You debate over 90 side effects of Aspartame alone?

Get over it. The reason people are starring and flagging is cause its valid information backed up by extensive sourcing. The reason why no one is going to star your post is cause it was completely illogical and backed up by nothing but your ranting word.

Then after all your mindless ranting, you finally got on with contributing several great points that are also factors in deteriorating health. The 7 listed items are not everything, the list is huge and its all unnecessary. How it's an appalling thread, I have no idea.

[edit on 8-6-2009 by king9072]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join