It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay penguins hatch rejected egg

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Gay penguins hatch rejected egg

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8a94470074b6.gif[/atsimg]

Two homosexual penguins have successfully hatched an egg that was rejected by its parents and are now proudly rearing the chick, the German zoo housing the couple said on Wednesday.
The Humboldt penguin is normally found on the coast of Chile and Peru.
"Z and Vielpunkt, both males, gladly accepted their 'Easter present' and began straight away with hatching the egg," said the zoo in Bremerhaven, in northern Germany.

"Since the chick arrived they are behaving in the same way as one would expect a heterosexual couple to do. Both happy fathers are now diligently handling the everyday care ... of their adopted offspring," the zoo said.

Z and Vielpunkt are part of a six-strong gay community among the zoo's collection of endangered Humboldt penguins who rose to fame in 2005 when four Swedish females were brought in an unsuccessful attempt to "cure" them.

"Homosexuality is nothing unusual among animals," the zoo said. "Sex and coupling up in our world do not necessarily have anything to do with reproduction.

uk.news.yahoo.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
aaww, that's cute.

I wonder if they decide one day...... "Darren" ... "yes Clive"... "let's addopt"... "ok, we'll go see if anyone's got any spare eggs knocking around"

Nature rules

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
AW! That is amazing. Its the first time I heard this story. Love is love after all! Funny how the 4 Swedish females didn't sway them at all, maybe they were gay too. Star & Flag for this unique and touching story on nature.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this.

Hope it makes people think about homosexual couples raising a child is better then the child being rejected.

S&F

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Like humans, penguins are in a position that requires complex social interaction and behavior. There's no surprise to me if sex in penguins also evolved to be more relationship based, and less reproductive based.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

S&F karl ...

Should be a wake up call to those who hold the narrowest of views on what is "natural."

Thankfully for the boys they don't live in California.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Male penguins usually have a lot to do with raising the young, not to surprising they'd take on one of the abandoned young.
Usually i don't like "Awwww" stories, but this one's a good one.

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
And this proves what? Are we REALLY advocating same-sex marraige in this thread because two PENGUINS are acting strange?

Reaching a little, aren't we?

Am I the only one who is cracking up hysterically over this and over some of your comments?

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

This is AWESOME.

The egg needed parents, and the penguins didn't have one of their own. This is just amazing. Animal behavior is so interesting.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by MajesticJax

Seems more to me that this pokes holes in the 'theory' that nobody is born gay, and that homosexuality does not occur naturally. As, to the best of my knowledge, penguins don't have "stress issues" requiring them to do drugs with gay prostitues, nor have they been "indoctrinated to accept the homosexual lifestyle".

At least, I'VE never seen any penguin gay pride parades.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by '___'eviant

Of course it's genetics and a few other alterations. Mutations can do all kinds of things. Some simply find it offensive to say that your born gay because that means it's a mutation and they feel like mutants. But a little knowledge of basic science teaches you that the perfect unmutated human simply does not exist. We are all mutants in some way or another. What it does open the door for is that people could technically make drugs that rewire you to either be gay or not to be gay, in which case others will feel offended making is sound like a disease to be cured. Yet, the simple fact is that if we were to call anyone with a mutation a disease, then we are all diseased.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajesticJax
And this proves what? Are we REALLY advocating same-sex marraige in this thread because two PENGUINS are acting strange?

That proves that gay penguins hatched rejected egg. Nothing more ...

I wonder how did these penguins choose to live their sinful lifestyle ?

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I think they should replicate this experiment with the rest of the penguins, and then study the behavior of the mini-guins..

Good thing the penguins are in Germany; they won't have to worry about the other animals challenging their right to be married.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by MajesticJax

I agree. One of the major sitcking points that people have used to take away rights from homosexuals is that it is "not natural" and "against the law of God" (presumably this is the god of nature). This is an example of how that argument is flawed.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by '___'eviant

Anual penguin gay pride

Some of the more colourful charactures

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

This whole thing seems like a story line for a Disney Movie that promotes gay marriage to me. How can you end up with a whole colony of gay male penguins when homosexuality is not that common in nature? Maybe it was the captivity and no females around. Does anyone know how they got that many gay male penguins in one zoo? Does someone at the zoo have a thing for gay penguins?

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
How does one surmise that a penguin is homosexual?

Nevermind, don't answer that.

Peace

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by justsomeboreddude

merely a collection. There's no other penguins around. They were already gay when they brought them in.

The act of being gay is probably just as random as in other social animals. I don't know why the mutation would arise, but it's there. And the fact that it can't be passed on (you know, what with the lack of ability to reproduce) probably indicates it is quite common in nature more so than you think. It must be, because if it was a small mutation in the population, it would have died off eons ago. The only way it could continue is if it is a common mutation that goes on and off for a variety of reasons.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

Well it could be passed on if some fat, ugly female penguins lacked gaydar and decided to have casual sex with some of them. Doesnt that happen from time to time in the human population?

Statistically, even if you go nuts and say 10% of the penguin population is gay, it is impossible to end up by chance picking up a group of penguins and they are all gay. They must have been chosen because they were gay.

[edit on 6/3/2009 by justsomeboreddude]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by justsomeboreddude
Well it could be passed on if some fat, ugly female penguins lacked gaydar and decided to have casual sex with some of them. Doesnt that happen from time to time in the human population?

Not to my knowledge.
I've never heard of a fat, ugly female penguin having casual sex with a gay human male.

Statistically, even if you go nuts and say 10% of the penguin population is gay, it is impossible to end up by chance picking up a group of penguins and they are all gay. They must have been chosen because they were gay.

First, chance does not have much to do with a any one selection. Random chance merely indicates that discrepancies will even out over a large group of selections. Deal enough hands and someone will get 4 aces.

Second, perhaps they were chosen because they are gay. Does it matter? I chose my cat because it was gray. Not much difference.

- Born that way, looks cool, etc.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join