It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two-Year-Old Boy Shot Dead By Sister, Three'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Two-Year-Old Boy Shot Dead By Sister, Three'

uk.news.yahoo.com

The girl apparently found a .45 calibre semi-automatic handgun under her parents' bed and fired it at her brother by mistake.

The boy, Ruben Soto III, was reportedly shot once in the chest.

He was taken to Kern Medical Centre but later pronounced dead.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Wow another tragic incident involving guns and children when will people learn? this is only going to fuel the debate about allowing people to bear arms.

Why oh why would the parents hide a loaded gun under the bed and not put away under lock and key.

How many deaths wil it take to realise that something has to be done about guns and the laws that allow anyone to keep one? its sheer madness, think how those parents feel now and will always feel. Spare a thought.

uk.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 28-5-2009 by franspeakfree]

+15 more 
posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Nothing to do with the right to bare arms,everything to do with stupid stupid irresponsible parents.Very sad for them and im sure they are going through a terrible time,but hate to put it bluntly...100% their fault.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
Nothing to do with the right to bare arms,everything to do with stupid stupid irresponsible parents.Very sad for them and im sure they are going through a terrible time,but hate to put it bluntly...100% their fault.

Sure but I am dead set against guns and I believe it would be better for everyone in general if the gun laws were tightened.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Very tragic.
Why oh why do people always believe these things could never happen to them? Ours are kept under lock and key due to the fact we have kids in the house. But to us that is just common sense. Just like we would never let our kids play in the street but some parents just don't think.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

While it is your god given right to have and believe in that particular ideology, it is not within your god given right to attempt to limit other peoples' freedoms because of your ideology.

This is the fundamental understanding of human liberty so absent from political discussions with those from within the "educated ignorant" caste commonly referred to as the "middle class."

While I have a god given right to decide for myself that I will not eat asparagus, I do not have any right to decide that others will also not eat asparagus.

Just as all tyrants are first well meaning idealists, all great crimes are first well intentioned ideals.

Jon

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Bait much?

I can see the slogan now "Turn in a gun, save a child". Hurry up and print the bumper stickers!

Peace

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
We were taught from my earliest memories that we were not to touch these things ever...unless a parent was with us. I've always thought that death would have been a mercy to what Dad would have done, much less Mom...had we ever been caught thinking guns, or weapons of any sort, were toys.

Such a tragic, tragic accident. No one's fault really, and even if someone, the parents, were at fault, they're paying the price, and will for the rest of their days on this Earth.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
We were taught from my earliest memories that we were not to touch these things ever...unless a parent was with us. I've always thought that death would have been a mercy to what Dad would have done, much less Mom...had we ever been caught thinking guns, or weapons of any sort, were toys.

Such a tragic, tragic accident. No one's fault really, and even if someone, the parents, were at fault, they're paying the price, and will for the rest of their days on this Earth.

Not to mention a little girl who's going to have to grow up knowing that she killed her brother. Although at aged 3, her mind will probably repress it for her until later on in life.

A story fraught with trajedy. And whilst I'm kind of anti guns (I live in the UK, we're allowed to be
) I have no problem with responsible gun ownership. Unfortunatly, not everyone IS responsible.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by mommy4life

Good for you! Not only that but by a young age (5-8) you should start teaching your children the basics of handling a firearm properly and safely.

I think the reasons why there are so many accidents involving children playing with firearms are twofold:
1) The children are not taught about firearms early enough. A good friend of mine vividly remembers hunting with his father for the first time around the age of 6. He has had a respect for weapons and their abilities ever since.
2) Children today do not have a realistic understanding of death. That same friend witnessed an animal he shot die. At 6 years old, it left him with such an impression (of death) that he couldn't even imagine pointing a gun at another person except out of self-defense.

#2 is most important.

How can we expect a child to be able to imagine the consequences of pointing a gun at another person if you never let the child, personally, experience the results of firing a gun at a living creature?

Jon

link   
If true that is absolutely crazy. wtf moment, how many of these things are going to happen in your country.

Sad for the parents, imagine how the sister will feel when she gets older. Sick world

link   
Shame way back that the league of nations disarmament never came about when you hear stories like this!
Poor child, well both of them, one has sadly been killed in the incident, while the other has to live with the fact that she used the gun, even though is it the parents fault for leaving the gun under the bed.

Surly under the bed is a place most kids play at some point, i can remember it, i can remember my sisters doing it, making a dens and all that, so why leave such a deadly weapon there.

It should be locked away and on a high shelf!

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
it could have been a knife as well
gun laws will be brought up
but if this was a knife would knife laws be brought up?

btw
There was an incident in Toronto
Parents kept the gun in a locked vault
kids saw a vault and thought maybe cookies were in there
they looked for a key, found it
and..........Bang!

food for thought.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
double post sorry

[edit on 5/28/2009 by mommy4life]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Voxel

We have made our kids very aware of gun safety. It is a talk in our house that is never ending. My youngest just turned 7 and we have recently purchased for her and in the past the other kids a bb gun. We have used these to help teach gun safety. They have thier own locked bags for these guns and we go about once every week or two out to the forest to let them practice with them and learn the ins and outs of safety. We thought this would be a good way to teach and view thier responsibility.

Edit to add because for some reason it posted before I was ready

Our son also has a bb handgun. Before we let him purchase it he saved the money to buy a small floor gun safe to store it in. We have really stressed the fact that although a bb gun is highly unlikely to kill someone it is still a gun that should be respected. My husband and him have been trying to talk me into getting him a 22 rifle but I am not quit ready for him to take that step yet as he is only 14.

[edit on 5/28/2009 by mommy4life]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

That's really too bad that those parents were so irresponsible....by not having the gun in a safe place and the children be taught proper gun safety.

I grew up in a house with tons of guns (grew up in Texas) and we had no issues with the guns in the house.

So the issue is NOT guns - but people.

My heart bleeds for those kids

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
My oldest three know not to touch my handgun. It is in a lock box in the top of the closet. The gun also has a trigger-lock on it, and the safety is on.

When I go shooting, they go with me. They shoot the gun as well.. They know the rules, the danger, and how to be safe.

My daughter's ages are 11, 6, and 5.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by franspeakfree

Originally posted by Solomons

Sure but I am dead set against guns and I believe it would be better for everyone in general if the gun laws were tightened.

folks ^^^^^ that is why they publicized this story...
because now, people in favor of gun control and people on the fence now think "wow, if we had tighter gun control laws this would NEVER Happen..." no one ever would have heard a thing about this if there weren't a push for gun control right now....expect a LOT More of stories like this.

its funny when they DON'T want you to know something information is "confidential" but when they have an agenda that needs pushing they tell you every gory detail.

this isn't the first OR Last time a child will die in a gun related accident or incident...
a kid just got ran over by his uncle the other day...
should we make cars illegal??
kids drown here in the river all the time (ca) we should not let parents take their kids there...it should be illegal.
we should outlaw bathroom cleanser and shampoo because kids sometimes are silly and eat those things...and die.
we need to protect our children!

[edit on 28-5-2009 by double_frick]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
If true that is absolutely crazy. wtf moment, how many of these things are going to happen in your country.

Based on the huge number of firearms possessed in the U.S., the guns used in freak instances like this are a tiny little minute fraction of the whole. The media just makes sure you hear about 100% of the freak instances, while completely leaving out the math.

Peace

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by double_frick

Right on . . .

It is simple statistics. How many guns were purchased in the USA in the last three months alone?

Now how many incidents like this have occurred?

Point proven.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join