It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rome opens up underground wonders of the ancient world to tourists

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Rome opens up underground wonders of the ancient world to tourists

www.timesonline.co.uk

Visitors to Rome will soon be able to discover a world of ancient treasures beneath their feet when the city opens dozens of previously unseen underground sites to the public.

They include the Ludus Magnus, the barracks beneath the Colosseum where gladiators assembled before entering the great arena to meet their fate; the well-preserved necropolis of Santa Rosa at the Vatican, with tombs from the 1st to the 5th centuries, and pagan temples.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Now this is interesting !

I for one would love to be able to see this stuff first hand !!
Lets hope all goes well and we see this continue and go on to expand in the future .

The article goes on to say ..
" The 30 underground marvels are rarely seen by tourists, or residents. “Hidden Rome is in front of everyone’s eyes but nobody notices it,” said Umberto Broccoli, the superintendent of cultural heritage in Rome. “A large part of Rome’s history lies underground.”

There is nothing like ancient history to get ones mind going

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Makes me wish I could travel even more.

I remember some of this being mentioned on Cities of the Underworld on the History Channel.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

You and me both . I guess it couldn't hurt to see how much a ticket would cost

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
And I've heard that the Domus Aureus - Nero's Golden House - that was buried have been or will be opened soon, too.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
The movie I just saw "Angels and Demons" has some great footage of underground Rome. Lame movie though.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I refuse to go back until they reopen at least on Temple to Bacchus and a decent bath house in one of the better neighborhoods!

I swear I turn my back for 2,000 lousy little years and the whole world has fallen apart!

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

HAHAHA

Perhaps you need to dust off your Rome season 1 & 2 DVD collection for old time sake

Speaking of which , do any of you out there have any links to some good historical / documentary films on Rome that you would be as so kind as to post ?

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   

“Hidden Rome is in front of everyone’s eyes but nobody notices it,” said Umberto Broccoli, the superintendent of cultural heritage in Rome.

I just want to point out that this guy has a great name.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

He also has a great idea !

Wonder why they didn't do this long ago ?

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

From my understanding, it's a mixture of costs, danger, and the fact that these areas were still being mapped and study. A lot of work has to be done to make underground sites stable, and when Underwolds aired they were still documenting the site. Tourists unavoidably add site contamination.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I've always wanted to go to Italy, this makes me want to go even more. I would love to see Rome's underground, especially the barracks beneath the colosseum and the pagan temples. Hopefully someone from ATS will be able to go see this and bring back some pictures and maybe video for us.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 02:34 AM
link   
In recent years I've visited the Saint Callixtus catacombs (off the Appian Way outside Rome) and the Scavi the necropolis underneath the Vatican. Both are well worth a visit as long as you keep repeating to yourself "I'm NOT claustraphobic!"

The Callixtus catacombs are huge and labyrinthine while the open parts of the Scavi are much smaller. However during the scavi visit it is possible at a few places to look up through the layers through grills on the floor of St Peter's basillica. From the ancient, and confirmed, tomb of St Peter to look up at the baldachinno abouve the high altar is trully amazing and not a little startling.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Just a pitty the Vatican refuses to open its archives. Now that would be an interesting to visit.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Hmmm, I feel a road trip comming on...
Take a few dozen photos, hunt down Umberto Broccoli...
This could be done...

Anyone want to meet me there?

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

I hope in the future I will be able to afford to travel there, I would love to check this out. This is so cool! Nothing like walking somewhere where the buildings of the ancients still stands, it's an indescribable feeling, you could almost hear the whispers.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
let's not think for a second that they're going to show anyone anything they don't want us to see; to me it sounds like the illusion of disclosure; I do believe that the vatican's dark secrets will be revealed, but not by some official statement that some basement is now open for guided tours..

..more propaganda..

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

Could you imagine ? They have been acquiring things for a very long time , it would be interesting to see what they managed to tuck away .

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
When are they going to open the Venice underground.

I saw a documentary several years ago and an archeologist went down there. He dug up the floor of a library and went down. There he found the tomb of a knight from the first crusade, as well as a stone marker that gives the location of the Holy Grail.

The only problem is that were thousands of rats and a layer of petroleum on the water.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Rome is beautiful to visit. I remember the beauty of the fountains, the buildings, the sculptures, and the art. I remember how lovely it was to drink wine in the streets after touring the Vatican, navigating the mysterious catacombs by flashlight, and carving my name in giant letters with a pocket knife I had into a column at the Colosseum just as the sun began to set. It really is a beautiful place.

<<   2 >>

join