It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia votes to ban piercing of female genitalia

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by silQ
O GOD! Y WOULD U WANT IT DONE ANYWAY?!?!?!?! I shiver just thinking about it! JESUS CHRIST! AND HOW WOULD GUYS GET IT PIERCED?!?!?!?!?!?! *cringes*

you must remember that genitalia can apply to breasts also ...so no piercing the nips either , i would suspect

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 07:39 PM
link   
www.foxnews.com...
ATLANTA � Genital piercings for women were banned by the Georgia House Wednesday as lawmakers considered a bill outlining punishments for female genital mutilation.

www.accessnorthga.com...
The bill would make such mutilation punishable by two to 20 years in prison. It makes no exception for people who give consent to have the procedure performed on their daughters out of religious or cultural custom.

20 years a woman can get. All I can say is WOW

[Edited on 28-4-2004 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I guess the sentence would apply to the multilator rather than the multilatee, IE the piercing parlor.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 07:45 PM
link   
My god how backwards....thanks spittin cobra ....

Do you think they are gonna stop people traveling thru Georgia and ask to see there genitalia ???
and then lock them up !!!

what about the people who already live there ?
if someone starts a rumour about someone having a piercing and the police get a hold of it ,will they ask said person to come down to the station for an examination...?

Does anybody have Georgia on there minds??
as if the jails werent already full enough !!!!

[Edited on 28-4-2004 by watcheroftheskies]

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Err... how do they propose to find out if women's genitals (or men's, for that matter) are pierced? Are they going to have the old military "short arms inspection" on EVERYONE?

(rolls eyes) Man, this one can go down in history as One Of The Stupidest Laws.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   
See this is a great example of how things happen in government. A descent law is proposed to stop female genital mutilation, if you don't know what this is or what it is about, it is the custom in some African and Muslim countries to cut off the clitoris of females so that they will not be "promiscuous". Removing the clitoris has the effect of taking much of the female libido away.
Now a law banning this is a good thing. Then some idiot adds an amendment that includes "piercing."

They should pass a law that states no amendments can be added to the original law. They would have to pass another law.

www.amnesty.org...

Variable

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   
If women want to pierce their genitals isnt that up to them? i mean this sounds like dictatorship to me.

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Look, lets clarify the difference between it being illegal to have pierced gentalia and being illegal to pierce or have your gentalia pierced. I think this law applies more to those who run parlors than individuals who currently are "proud owners" of a peirced genital.

I need to research this a little more but it sounds as if a problem has developed which has caused this to move into legislation. The first one I see right off the bat is that a person who normally does these peircings I would guess is not a licensed OB/GYN. This is a sensitive area we are talking about here and these people performing these peircings might be causing more damage/problems than is being told to the person getting it done. Lets look at it more closely before we all pull out our old "jump to conclusions mat".

Also, people utilizing medicaid and getting these peircings; they might be draining their system by repeated trips to their OB/GYN for infections and such. That would throw a red flag up right away. I'm all for health care for everyone but when tax-payers foot the bill, I expect those using it to not intentionally cause medical problems for themselves. Lets look deeper into it and if no such reasoning is presented, I jump on board with yas. BTW, I'm a democrat so this isn't a political support issue.

Edit: Okay, from Variable's link, I found this little tidbit....

"The effects of genital mutilation can lead to death. At the time the mutilation is carried out, pain, shock, haemorrhage and damage to the organs surrounding the clitoris and labia can occur. Afterwards urine may be retained and serious infection develop. Use of the same instrument on several girls without sterilization can cause the spread of HIV.

More commonly, the chronic infections, intermittent bleeding, abscesses and small benign tumours of the nerve which can result from clitoridectomy and excision cause discomfort and extreme pain. "

Yikes! To hell with that, I'm not a female but if I was, you wouldn't have to worry about me breaking this law. BTW, as a guy, I'm positve no one is doing that to me, legal or not. I don't want to judge but I do have to wonder about some people.

[Edited on 29-4-2004 by astrocreep]

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   

"The effects of genital mutilation can lead to death. At the time the mutilation is carried out, pain, shock, haemorrhage and damage to the organs surrounding the clitoris and labia can occur. Afterwards urine may be retained and serious infection develop. Use of the same instrument on several girls without sterilization can cause the spread of HIV.

More commonly, the chronic infections, intermittent bleeding, abscesses and small benign tumours of the nerve which can result from clitoridectomy and excision cause discomfort and extreme pain. "

[Edited on 29-4-2004 by astrocreep]

Astro creep what were talking about here is not the removal or mutilation of the clitoral area or the clitoris itself .....the legislation is to stop piercing not clitoral mutilation and since the breasts are also considered genitals ...this would no longer be allowed and BTW most women dont pierce the clitoral area...what they pierce is the Labia or the lip of that region theres a big difference between genital mutilation and a piercing.

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Has the whole F**king world gone completely crazy??? How much longer will it be until there is some kind of law passed regarding the Legal Method Used for "Wiping My Own Ass??" It can't be far, I'm sure. I mean has everyone forgot the fact that 'IT'S YOUR BODY!!' For Christ Sakes, who give a rats ass whether or not someone else, especially some politician, agrees with what YOU choose to do with YOUR body??

Amendment sponsor Rep. Bill Heath, R-Bremen, was slack-jawed when told after the vote that some adults seek the piercings.

"What? I've never seen such a thing," Heath said. "I, uh, I wouldn't approve of anyone doing it. I don't think that's an appropriate thing to be doing."

Well ya know what Bill?? I don't remember anyone asking you for Approval in the first place!!! Gee, here's an idea. If you don't like it, don't do it!! Problem solved, now get back to work you lazy f*ck and quit worrying about what other people are doing with their 'Hoo Hoo Dillies & Cha Cha's'. That goes for the rest of the group as well.

If we were talking about 'noncongenial Mutilation' of whatever kind, then it would be a different story. But this is about 'Consenting Adults' who not only Choose to have it done to Themselves, but they also Pay for it too. Hell, I say give em their monies worth, it's their choice. It would make a fantastic way of keeping track of your Car Keys if nothing else. If you still lose them once they're attached to that 'Ring' you've got some serious problems!!

But seriously, why, God?? Why?? Why don't people tell these 'Worthless Law Makers' to go 'F*ck Themselves' when they pass laws like these? Doesn't anyone have any Self Respect anymore, or at least see themselves as something more than the 'Property of the State' or even worse, the 'Slave Property of the State Officials'?? When I see people accept such ideas with ease it absolutely kills that part of me deep inside that tries so very hard to respect humanity. I imagine it would be comparable to the Sadness felt by That Native American who is walking beside the road and a passing car throws trash out the window at his feet. (You remember that commercial??)

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Well, I guess the only drawback to the right to do this is the cost to the medical system (whether privatly insured or on the public dime) for the rampant infections resultant from this sort of mutilation. Until we outlaw smoking and obesity, that argument isn't going to cut it.

I read the law whether any of you have or not and for what its worth, it seemed more geared toward the "artist" (for lack of a better word) who do this to minors without parental consent. They ( the lawmakers) just didn't know where to stop as usual.

I would submit that its my personal opinion and mine only that any sort of alteration having to do with the reproductive organs in either sex should be performed by a MD specializing in that area such as an OB/GYN or Urologist.

Please remember that its not our most upstanding citizens having this done and much of the medical problems caused by these un-educated, un-trained "artists" will be treated via a system that is already financially distressed. This leads us not to whether we can but whether we should. Two different subjects all together.

I'm against the law forbidding it, but I'm also agianst it.

Go figure.

I'd quote the old cliche' "sombody should pass a law" as I have heard people say most of my life when faced with watching fellow citzens resort to such dangerously stupid actions but I see what happens when they do.

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 09:16 AM
link   
It is a stupid law and the good thing is, would never stand up to a challenge in a higher court. This from the link supplied by spittincobra:

An amendment adopted without objection added "piercing" to the list of things that may not be done to female genitals. Even adult women would not be allowed to get the procedure. The bill eventually passed 160-0, with no debate.

So it would seem that it's not a Republican thing, even though the dummy that sponsored the bill happened to be one.

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Interesting fact for you all.

In Britain prudish behaviour is often described as Victorian.Perhaps the same term applies in the US but it was Prince Albert,the husband of Queen Victoria,who would give his name to a type of piercing which he popularised.

The Prince Albert is a ring that goes through the end of the penis.Queen Victoria's husband would then attach small weights to the end this was so that his suits hung neatly.

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   
If it's a health care issue, why werent other piercings and male piercings outlawed? Like someone else said, It's probably that his daughter got one and it pissed him off, so he made a crusade out of it. Why not tatoos? There is a risk of infection from a dirty needle?

From my experience of living in Georgia and dealing with all the bible belt (holier than thou) hyprocrites, this does not suprise me in the least

[Edited on 1-5-2004 by baked]

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by baked
If it's a health care issue, why werent other piercings and male piercings outlawed? Like someone else said, It's probably that his daughter got one and it pissed him off, so he made a crusade out of it. Why not tatoos? There is a risk of infection from a dirty needle?

From my experience of living in Georgia and dealing with all the bible belt (holier than thou) hyprocrites, this does not suprise me in the least

[Edited on 1-5-2004 by baked]

you know what baked ??? i think you hit the nail on the head and its amazing that it doesnt include males having this done....its probably because that didnt occur to them...."What men pierce there penis's ?
ive never heard of such a thing....

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Wasn't Georgia also the last state to legalise "sodomy" as they call it?
What much good can ya say about a state that homes and was represented by Bob Barr untill recently. Not to mention Ted Turner.

Read the book "Midnight in the Garden Of Good and Evil"
The author gives a great discription of Savannah Georgia (where I lived). Although things have changed since the time the book was based on, alot is still the same.

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 12:35 PM
link   
if they do set about in enforcing this new law, the government is going to get quite a few lawsuits of sexual abuse and sexual discrimiation, such as in "why are only woman getting checked for labia or clitoris peircings?"

and if the law only means the actual act of peircing gentaila, the numbers wont go down very quickly if all the other 49 states dont pass the same law.

And btw, if you did that to yourself("self mutalation", i guess they'd call it) would the punishment be the same?

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Just another stupid law that cannot be enforced. Thats all it i. How are tehy gointo catch ppl? Desguise themselves as people wanting to do this and drop there pants then arrest All kinds of stupid laws on the books that cannot be enforced. SC has a whole slew of em including a ban on oral sex between consenting adults.I mean its just something to have on the book so if ur a chick dont worry bout it cause if they strip search ya just sue the hell out of them. And if this case was to be challenged it would be killed on the state supreme court or any federal court.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Actually, I think this is medical care issue and I think males should have been included. Its my personal opinion that no such alteration should be done by anyone other than an MD or surgeon and then must have a better reason than "its the in thing" to do it. Treating the rampant infections these things cause is sucking funds from the medicaid system. You want to know who is taking the money for senior's prescrition drugs? Take a trip to your local genital piercing parlor. In a weeks time, they'll be getting some treatment for an infection that never had to occur. With liberties also come personal responsibilities as much as many of you don't want to hear that. If you are going to leech onto the medical care system, the least you could do is to not intentionally make yourself ill.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
yes he did and yes it passed, now you should see what this guy is up to, and i live here!!!!!!!!!!!

In a Georgia bill outlawing female genital mutilation, some bright representative decided to insert an amendment banning genital piercing as well - thus requiring the same 2 to 20 year sentence for piercing a willing adult that would be required for cutting up an unwilling infant. The bill passed unanimously and without debate.
TBO News reports:

Amendment sponsor Rep. Bill Heath, R-Bremen, was slack-jawed when told after the vote that some adults seek the piercings. "What? I've never seen such a thing," Heath said. "I, uh, I wouldn't approve of anyone doing it. I don't think that's an appropriate thing to be doing." The ban applies only to women, not men.

<< 1    3 >>

join