It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cannibal Humans Ate Neanderthals Into Extinction

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Cannibal Humans Ate Neanderthals Into Extinction

www.foxnews.com

One scientist thinks he know why the Neanderthals went extinct: We ate them.

A team led by Fernando Rozzi, of France's National Center for Scientific Research, re-examined modern human bones found in a cave near Les Rois in southwestern France and found that one jawbone was instead Neanderthal.

Crucially, it was covered in cut marks, indicated it had been butchered. The human bones were untouched.

"For years, people have tried to hide away from the evidence of cannibalism, but I think we have to accept it took place," Rozzi told London's Guardian newspaper.

Neanderthals were a
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 04:40 AM
link   
So finnaly they unveil that we the humans not only have wiped out the only competitor for the rule of this wonderfull planet , but that we have eaten them to?? It seems the more we learn about or selfs the less i like it.

Maybe one of the more educated members can explain to me how cutmarks proves that we have eaten something? And also why would we eat other humanoids if plenty of wildlife must been there?

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   
No no, this was a trick by Satan...

Seriously though, this is pretty flimsy.

"Though they had larger brains, evidence suggests they might not have been capable of speech."

Actually I watched a documentary where they reproduced the Neanderthal larynx and found it was, surprise surprise, almost identical to a human's. Thus, they probably spoke.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I'd really like to think that this was done out of desperation as there was no other food source available.
Still grotesque but understandable.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Last Man on Earth

Actually I watched a documentary where they reproduced the Neanderthal larynx and found it was, surprise surprise, almost identical to a human's. Thus, they probably spoke.

Well... they should have said something like: "Hey, Don't eat me."

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flighty
I'd really like to think that this was done out of desperation as there was no other food source available.
Still grotesque but understandable.
Yeah i get ya. I had a discussion with a historian who lives close to me and she said that it could have been a ritual to. Anyway i was kinda shocked to read about it. The findings where from a french guy , probably ill be able to get a copy of his paper to post up here.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Honestly i dont see how everyone finds it that bad, its no different from eating any other animal, its just a bit closer related to us then most other food sources on the menu. You most likely only think its so horrifying because thats how you have been brought up to think but back then i doubt you had that many morals to think about.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by mapsurfer_

Originally posted by The Last Man on Earth

Well... they should have said something like: "Hey, Don't eat me."

"Sorry, I don't speak Neanderthal!"

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   
OR...

The ancient human could have found a neanderthal jawbone and whiled away the long boring days chipping at it with a piece of stone?

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 05:59 AM
link   
[edit on 19-5-2009 by Amagnon]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:08 AM
link   
I don't see what the shocker is... I mean, even today, certain groups still eat Gorillas, Chimpanzees and the like.

We didn't scratch and claw our way to the top of the food chain by being picky.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by midnightbrigade

Its not the issue of eating them thats on my mind, its more the fact that we the Humans have wiped out our only competitor on this planet on a more agressive way then thought of before.

The currently accepted theory says that the neatherthaler was slowly losing ground to the more intelligent humans because we were better in hunting and more able to craft tools then the neatherthaler.
But now it seems the loss of their species is directly related to us engaging them first hand instead of "outsmarting" them.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spartannic
Maybe one of the more educated members can explain to me how cutmarks proves that we have eaten something? And also why would we eat other humanoids if plenty of wildlife must been there?

More like "Ethnic Cleansing" or genocide perhaps...

And imagine this. They have killed a whole lot of Neanderthals and thought "what a waste" so instead of disposing their bodies, they ate them instead..

This made me think... Neanderthals must be the good guys... And more proof for my theory that Evil is the God of this world.

link   
Fair enough saying that one Neanderthal.. or even 10000 were eaten by our descendants but to say that we ate them all and that was the reason they went extinct is a little bit far fetched with the evidence at hand.

Its not a hard theory to get your head and is obviously extremely possible but still... decent proof would be nice.

link   
reply to post by Spartannic

Let's face it - humans are carnivores by nature, and also cruel.

I wish that I belonged to some other race.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by spellbound

Let's face it - humans are carnivores by nature, and also cruel.

I wish that I belonged to some other race.
I'm still proud to be human. Even when we had dozens of stupid wars and are about to destroy ourself because of greed. Tru history it has been shown that mankind can be very very brutal and sometimes i'm ashamed of the acts done by the ppl of my race.

But when i look at all the good things we have achieved ,i can't help it to be proud i am the endproduct of a thing called evolution that has been going on for millions of years....

Also the worst things in history like the WW's and all the other bad stuff can be credited to 0.0001 % of all the humans who roamed this lovely planet. How do we call them again?? ohh right its the ELITE ....

when i look at the people around me on daily basis, i can say with 100% certainty that most of them are good guys.... and most off the people i hat for what they do or have done are part of "the elite" .

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Neanderthal man was fully human - Homo sapiens neanderthalensis

Cro-magnon man was his contemporary.

Much malignment in the 19th Century, a sort of racist superiority in an era that believed white Europeans were superior to Africans and Asians.

He wasn't stooped over or less intelligent. In many ways he was more advanced than his Cro-magnon contemporary who was better at tool and weapon making, probably the decisive difference.

But Neanderthal man appears to have been more creative and socialized.
Recent discoveries are pointing to a conclusion modern man may even be a hybrid of Neanderthals and Cro-magnons.

As for the cannibalism, well it's not news or isolated to the distant past.
Excised form history are many examples where cannibalism was commonly practiced even in Europe even fairly recently.

Before agriculture became widespread starvation was common. Bad weather often wiped out sustenance for all life forms.

The legends of Robin Hood and Sherwood Forest come from a time when starving wretches preyed on travellers.

This current story gets play because of the sensationalist aspect of it.

Men did what men had to do to stay alive and feed their families in dire circumstances.

Mike

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:48 AM
link   

You are so right. Let's stand up and be proud to be human.

Human beings have achieved the best in everything. And those early humans needed food.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by mmiichael

Do you believe that head-hunting and cannabalism are still rife in New Guinea?

The reason I am asking is that you seem knowledgeable and clued up on these things.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

your post says lets stand up and be proud to be human ...

funny thing is that we should actually be very proud that we mastered standing on our 2 legs at about 2 years of age ( i guess :-) )

back on topic :

i have heard about the study that claims we are the product of the 2 species. But that idea had very litle support in the community..

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join