It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cannibal Humans Ate Neanderthals Into Extinction

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by spellbound
reply to post by mmiichael

Do you believe that head-hunting and cannabalism are still rife in New Guinea?

The reason I am asking is that you seem knowledgeable and clued up on these things.

You can always go and check it out for us.

Watch out for the hotel buffet.

I'm not an expert on current situations everywhere, though have lived in South America and seen where the Jivaro Indians, once cannibals too, still
live.

Not the time and place to go into it, but eating human flesh was considered an empowering ritual in a lot of cultures. Not all as primitive as you would think. Still practiced quietly in many remote parts of the world and a few highly advanced ones.

Stories I know, and not from books. But believe me, you don't want to hear them.

Mike

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by mmiichael

I do want to hear them, and I think everyone wants to hear them.

OK, tell us please.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   
personally don't buy it me self imo, you see what is easier to catch an butcher ?. a grown man wild ferocious tribal or sheep type animals docile frightant creature, na men do not hunt men its way to dangerous.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I don't see why it is so surprising either. Cannibalism was very common in Africa and South America before heavy Western influence.

Even TODAY cannibalism exists in Africa. The Pigmies were petitioning the U.N. for help 6 or 7 years ago when they were being hunted as bushmeat (apparently pigmy meat has magical powers and they are considered sub-human by other African ethnic groups). It is also frequently used as a psychological weapon during war (eating the enemy, or making the enemy eat family members is a form of humiliation).

This ain't nothing new, and it surely didn't die out with the end of the Neanderthals.

Originally posted by foxhoundone
personally don't buy it me self imo, you see what is easier to catch an butcher ?. a grown man wild ferocious tribal or sheep type animals docile frightant creature, na men do not hunt men its way to dangerous.

Dude men kill each other all the time. It is called warfare. Perhaps you have heard of it.

Having said that I do NOT think Homosapiens killed the Neanderthals strictly for the meat. The Neanderthals supposed controlled vast areas of Asia and prevented Homosapiens from migrating there for quite some time. It was no doubt competition for resources. Eating the enemy was just convenient on occasion, not the primary purpose. One find does not mean it was widespread, though I am sure when meat was in short supply it was convenient.

[edit on 19-5-2009 by Sonya610]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   

but what if that grown man wild ferocious tribal keeps on taking 1 of those sheep like animals everyday to feed his tribe? Eventually they will
run out of stock to i guess. Maybe they tried to live next to each other but eventually they had no more hunting grounds left. Ill bet ya that a average
tribe with 24 members needs more then 10km² to be able to remain on location for some generations. so eventually the 2 species had to collide and maybe food was so hard to find by then they had to start eating each other.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Spartanic

granted in a worse case scenario, but i give a lot of respect to your (caveman) type persons, caring nutering beings who will probably feed you and keep you warm if they found you injured somewhere, realising your an asset to there tribe so,s keeping you alive, to gleam knowledge of you.
i think this is modern mans downfall, we assume if your not a productive materialistic people you must be a savage. this probably gives rise to the modern expression "Neanderthals" , when really we are to scared to extend are hand of friendship, just my own opinion .

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Interesting thread. As far as the cut marks I believe they can compare the marks to those left on butchered animal bones found near places early humans lived.

I think bones of what is believed to be a hybrid child have been found. We may have just mixed. I read something about the Neanderthals heads were too big for females to easily give birth to maybe we were more prolific.

Imo this has happened more often in our past than we care to admit. I think many of our scholars are more aware of it than the average person. Sort of a "don't ask don't tell" policy.

edit for spelling

[edit on 19-5-2009 by Morningglory]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Morningglory
I think bones of what is believe to be a hybrid child have been found. We may have just mixed. I read something about the Neanderthals heads were too big for females to easily give birth to maybe we were more prolific.

Imo this has happened more often in our past than we care to admit. I think many of our scholars are more aware of it than the average person. Sort of a "don't ask don't tell" policy.

Regarding the hybrid, yeah I believe modern evidence suggests if there was mixing it did not survive in modern Homosapien lines. But of course there could have been (not sure if the offspring would have been sterile though). There is compelling evidence that humans may be able to cross breed with chimps (the Russians tried it and then abandoned it for fear the offspring would be emotional and too strong to control).

But yes cannibalism has gone on a LOT. Most people just never look into those topics and have no idea how widespread much of it really was. Many know the Aztecs were partial to it, but the ongoing cannibalism issues in Africa and New Guinea and the like are usually hushed up primarily for pc reasons.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spartannic

So finnaly they unveil that we the humans not only have wiped out the only competitor for the rule of this wonderfull planet , but that we have eaten them to?? It seems the more we learn about or selfs the less i like it.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

You feel terrible about this?

Here's an idea to help you with your feelings, then. Start a campaign to have every human alive today pay reparations to the neanderthals that were treated so badly thousands of years ago. We'd all have to pay since it would be impossible to tell exactly who's ancestors had killed and eaten any neanderthals. You could even ask your government to "hold" the money collected until a neanderthal was found to pay the money to.

Can't quite put my finger on it, but this sounds familiar somehow ...

[edit on 5/19/2009 by centurion1211]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
OR...

The ancient human could have found a neanderthal jawbone and whiled away the long boring days chipping at it with a piece of stone?

This was my first thought as well.

Although the issue with Academia lies within this ludicris idea....that is that most of the really smart people I know never did anything that you or I would consider to be normal....in other words very few of them have wasted a day doing nothing of any value as that would be illlogical...lol

Of course we automatically think that this caveman/ancient human found this jaw bone of what looked like a human jaw bone and said "Cool"..look what I found.

Then he messed with it for a while before decideing to invent beer so as to enhance and continue his practice of looking busy (chipping away at Jawbone) while really doing nothing....(mindlessly chipping away at the jawbone , getting thirsty but not in the mood for bad water)

Therefore the very reference point of what we would consider to be normal and what they would consider to be normal is wrong.

Flawed ideas from flawed reference points.

lol

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

I agree it wasn't just the Aztecs that engaged in such practices they just left a more visual account hard to cover that up.

I always thought it was strange the whole symbolic drinking/eating of the blood/flesh of Christ. That had to come from somewhere. Maybe early Christians went against the old ways and chose to cannibalize symbolically.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spartannic

but what if that grown man wild ferocious tribal keeps on taking 1 of those sheep like animals everyday to feed his tribe? Eventually they will
run out of stock to i guess.

Another fallacy.

Evidence shows that the neanderthals were more heavily built - stronger than homo sapiens. Plus they had larger brains. But you want to pretend they were all sheeple?

Besides any student of history knows that it is a huge mistake to try and impose today's morality and political correctness on people from earlier times. Especially as far back as neanderthals lived. You can't possibly know enough about what their daily lives were like to judge them in this way.

[edit on 5/19/2009 by centurion1211]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Morningglory

I agree it wasn't just the Aztecs that engaged in such practices they just left a more visual account hard to cover that up.

I always thought it was strange the whole symbolic drinking/eating of the blood/flesh of Christ. That had to come from somewhere. Maybe early Christians went against the old ways and chose to cannibalize symbolically.

I thought about this connection as well a few years ago.

All kidding aside....I recognize that some evidence exists supporting Cannibalism in many societys and that this would be a way that whatever this dark desire might be would be alleviated through this ritual somehow.

Really...now of days if someone you were having dinner with said to you with a piece of food (bread) on his fork...This is my body...and then offered you some what would you do????

Strange ritual.

[edit on 19-5-2009 by whiteraven]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by whiteraven

Really...now of days if someone you were having dinner with said to you with a piece of food (bread) on his fork...This is my body...and then offered you some what would you do????

I think I would leave before dessert! That whole concept has always bothered me and was always glossed over when I would ask about it.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Morningglory

Exactlly....unless of course the guy just raised the dead...then I might have a bite.

lol

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Reference "dude its called warfare"
i was commenting on a survival/sitex situation, not army versus army ..
whats easiest to capture a grown man or animals ?
i wound not go out on a foraging trip to hunt man, especially neanderthal man . i would hunt for fish using traps or check my snares for rabbit or large fowl,
n/man would have good knowledge of his area if he deemed you a threat chances are they would have stalked you into a trap to dispose of you as he deemed you a threat to his tribe, not to eat you

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Reference "dude its called warfare"
i was commenting on a survival/sitex situation, not army versus army ..
whats easiest to capture a grown man or animals ?

As stated, most likely it was NOT done primarily as a food source. But humans are omnivores. If they were killing Neanderthals anyway (territory disputes or whatever) it is easy to see where they may eat them either for protein or as part of a ritual.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Alot of anti-humanism in this thread....

Did anyone stop to consider that there is absolutely no way to know that another Neanderthal didn't eat this one?

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
Alot of anti-humanism in this thread....
Did anyone stop to consider that there is absolutely no way to know that another Neanderthal didn't eat this one?

Possible but not likely. The article says there were many "untouched" human bones, and only one neanderthal jaw bone that showed signs of butchering. That strongly implies humans were living there and butchered a neanderthal.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   

granted. in a worse case scenario/sitx situation if i came across a dead being i would strip the good bits and take it back to my hide and offer it up as a stew !! nobody none the wiser. but to deliberately stalk/ kill in what imo is a superior stronger man, would be my downfall,

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join