It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA declares Cheerios a drug?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   

FDA declares Cheerios a drug?

www.fda.gov

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has reviewed the label and labeling of your Cheerios® Toasted Whole Grain Oat Cereal. FDA's review found serious violations of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (the Act) and the applicable regulations in Title 21, Code of Federal Regulations (21 CFR). You can find copies of the Act and these regulations through links in FDA's home page at www.fda.gov....

Unapproved New Drug

Based on claims made on your product's label, we have determined that your Cheerios® Toasted Whole Grain Oat Cereal is promoted for conditions that cause it to b
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
How you like them apples? Soon water will be illegal for it treats thirst! It would seem to me that the FDA is really spending their resources to rid our society of the scourge that is known as Cheerios... Hopefully we'll liberate millions of children from the drugs they ingest every morning. Now I realize that statins make them quite a bit of money but am I the only one who finds this a little excessive?

www.fda.gov
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ohh, I am in tears at the moment. Thank you for such a wonderful headline.

I was wondering when they would finally start the crusade against the evil of breakfast cereal.

Come on, are you kidding me? First vitamins now cereal? Jesus, the next thing will be no more Flinstone vitamins cause the FDA will say they promote drug usage for kids.

Wow, these people really don't have their heads turned on right. They should person remove them from each other's colon's and breathe some fresh air.

~Keeper

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Sorry, I thought this was a joke at first. Sad to see it isn't. Wonder whats next,it's getting ridiculous. Thanks for posting this.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Interpretive skills on this site really suck. Cheerios was claiming to be a drug that helps lower colesterol for heart health. The FDA shut that down. You can't make false claims like that to sell your cereal. Big deal.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
God forbid people are aware that they can eat healthier and not have to go on expensive medication in many cases.

How blatant!

Amazing................

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Well, they say in their letter that there are some major claims on the labels such as

• "you can Lower Your Cholesterol 4% in 6 weeks" "
• "Did you know that in just 6 weeks Cheerios can reduce bad cholesterol by an average of 4 percent?

While I think it's a little silly to call it a drug, I don't think Cheerios should be able to make these claims unless they have some decent studies supporting them, which the FDA doesn't seem to think they have.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
All they have to do is change the wording on the box to not imply that it treats a condition.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
This a great example when a government run agency is run by fat rats from the big pharma companies.

The FDA has not longer anything that has to do with government but is all run by private groups and their corporate agendas.

But hey that is exactly what is going on with government now a days, whole bunch of crocks.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I guess Quaker Oatmeal better be on the look out. They will be next on the list because heaven forbid we actually promote healthy foods that are natural and not that chemically created 'good food' they are trying to push on us today.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
The FDA is just another in the long list of agencies that are going to be shut down and it's officers arrested when the SHTF. It's just another tentacle of the dark masters who are, in the not too distant future, going to find themselves unable to feed on the good American people once all their tentacles have been chopped off and burned. Baxter, Gilead, Raytheon, Monsanto, CIL, Citi, Goldman Suchs, J.P. Morgan, Fox, the FED, Department of Homeland Insecurity, FEMA, the entire MSM... the list is in the thousands.

And every one of them is going to pay for their murders, their thievery, their raping, their fear mongering and manipulation, their shredding of the constitution (which will be restored in full), their lies and deception, their unending attempts to destroy families, their purposeful destruction of the dollar... this list also reaches into the thousands. They're going to pay for their sins... pay dearly.

To quote Robert Duvall:

"I love the smell of burning tentacles in the morning."

[edit on 12-5-2009 by Albertarocks]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
As other members have pointed out, the problem lies not in the food itself, but in the way it is marketed.

I can imagine people eating Cheerios based on the claims it makes. While that may not harm them directly, they probably should be talking to a doctor instead of relying on the box.

Good decision.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

There was something a few years ago about the Fred Flintstone Vitamins...i wish i could remember.......

Anyway, please dont take my Downy fabric softener away, i get high from the smell.

Where can we go live???

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
As another poster already mentioned its about the labeling, not that they wish to make Cheerios a Drug. It's part of the FDA's job to ensure that the labeling of a product does not confuse people into thinking that a food product is a safe alternative to something that has been prescribed by a Doctor to treat a condition. The Cheerios label contains information that can be held as misleading that it treats a medical condition, now General Mills (or whoever makes that product) will have to change the label, and all Cheerios will continue to be a normal food product. That is all that is really about.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Im solomons and im addicted to cheerios,it has taken my family and my social life,i fill the void created by myself with bowls of cheerios and i hate myself for it,i know im killing myself but cheerios seem like the easy option,you can just walk in and buy them,no questions asked..i walk home and fill that bowl right to the brim,i hate myself but the cheerios take the pain away

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
The FDA is a joke. To call Cheerios a drug only shows their idiocy. Like the Aclu and Irs, the FDA needs to go extinct.

[edit on 12-5-2009 by TruthSeeker8300]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Only an idiot would think they can depend on Cheerios, or any cereal to have a healthy heart.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
A person who desires to lower cholesterol doesn't necessarily have a medical condition.

Some would desire to eat foods that don't contribute to increasing cholesterol and it is considered preventive.

I just don't read into lowering cholesterol as the same as treating a disease.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
Im solomons and im addicted to cheerios,it has taken my family and my social life,i fill the void created by myself with bowls of cheerios and i hate myself for it,i know im killing myself but cheerios seem like the easy option,you can just walk in and buy them,no questions asked..i walk home and fill that bowl right to the brim,i hate myself but the cheerios take the pain away

LOL!

Hi my name is Kathy and I am cheerioaholic!

Cheery, eh?

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
As others in this thread have sagaciously pointed out...

1.) The "F" in F.D.A. stands for "FOOD". Giving them powers over Food & Drugs.
2.) Cheerios is a Food.
3.) General Mills claimed on the Cheerios box that it had the unsubstantiated abilities of a Drug.
4.) The F.D.A. made General Mills conform to being a Food again by removing the label otherwise they would have to comply with the applicable rules for Drugs.

It makes perfect sense and no harm was done by the F.D.A.

You can't take any Snake Tonic, sell it as a Food Supplement, yet make claims that it can do what a Drug can do...i.e., "Two Doses of Snake Tonic a Day Prevents Heart Disease!" Vitamins can't do this either, nor can Natural or Organic Foods. General Mills simply shouldn't be able to peddle their Food as a Drug either. It was General Mill's faux pas to begin with. The F.D.A. just set them straight and told them to play by the same rules everyone else has to.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join