It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China military build-up seems U.S.-focused: Mullen

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darth_Prime

exactly mate!

it's not a what if, but a when! and that could be the scary part, they know its going to hit the fan soon.. and we know too, so do many other countries..

and they way things are shaping, it will be sooner then later

You know what the funny, and at the same time scary thing is?

Several years ago I stated alongside some other members that China, and Russia would unite militarily, and that they would call for a new world economy with them under command, and that they would attack us economically.

Several members were claiming none of this would happen, and here we are, not that many years later, and all these things are happening, and still there are people claiming that China will not try to do us in economically, nor militarily....

As the saying goes, if you boil a frog fast, it will just jump off the pan, but if you boil it slowly, the frog won't notice and it will die...

[edit on 5-5-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse

Originally posted by munkey66
China is building up, not to attack the US, but to replace the US as the world police, The US economy is going down faster than a 5 dollar hooker and will need someone to take the place to keep law and order in all countries around the world, we had a democratic world police, next one will be communist.

And you actually think that is going to be good?...

I read and read and re read my post and I still can't see how you could possibly think it was a good idea.
It is a possability, not a good option at all, I personally like having rights.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by munkey66

I read and read and re read my post and I still can't see how you could possibly think it was a good idea.
It is a possability, not a good option at all, I personally like having rights.

Then I apologize, but there are people out there who think it will be good if that happens.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse

As the saying goes, if you boil a frog fast, it will just jump off the pan, but if you boil it slowly, the frog won't notice and it will die...

[edit on 5-5-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

that right there is the key quote

slowly killing people, taking away freedoms, but making life much busier so they wont notice the small stuff until it's too late and hits them hard...

like i've always said, everything happens for a reason, and at the time it might look like nothing has come out of it , but slowly it starts to unravel, a little at a time, until you think back and say ahhh thats what started this, but by then it's too late

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Look at the rate at which the U.S. is losing its freedoms. Consider how more and more people are getting by with "help from the government," and more and more people are going to jail for dumber and dumber reasons. By the time we hit that 2030 mark, the United States will probably join the communist takeover willingly... or at least, its government will.

And of course China views war with the United States as inevitable. China has stated that reunification with Taiwan is inevitable, even if it has to be done by force. The U.S. has stated that it will defend Taiwan by force. Not much wiggle room, is there?

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
WOW

I'm impressed.

You actually believe that don't you.

I'm not sure if that's sarcasm or not, but yes I believe that. In 20 years I expect China to be either shoulder to shoulder or ahead of America in Science and Engineering. They simply have a far greater talent pool to draw on coupled with the fact that they are extremely patriotic and see using their skills and education to benefit China first and pad their wallets second.

I have attended universities in both China and the US(Currently in the US) and the Chinese dedication top achievement on the whole is far greater than the US. Quite frankly there are many many kids who shouldn't be at university in the US - the standards of admission are appalling.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by rogue1

Yeah it was sarcasm.

Let me ask you a question then?

Why aren't you living, working or staying there for school?

All sarcasm aside now.

I'm just curious because at the moment by your description you should be there getting a better education at a far less cost.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   

reply to post by rogue1

Yeah it was sarcasm.

Let me ask you a question then?

Why aren't you living, working or staying there for school?

All sarcasm aside now.

I'm just curious because at the moment by your description you should be there getting a better education at a far less cost.

I have worked their for almost 2 years and during that time travelled extensively around the country. I intend to return when I'm done here.

As for getting a degree there, unfortunately my Chinese isn't fluent enough to get the most out of it, oh and it wouldn't be cheaper that's for sure.

The problem with American education is that it's been dumbed down, kids are passing at the university I'm in who wouldn't pass in most other countries. The no child left behind policy has had the effect of lowering the standards of education.

It seems people like you who have probably never even left the country are the ones believing in some myth of America. I've lived here for a few years, lived in China, Turkey, England and was born in NZ and raised in Australia. I feel I'm qualified to comment and my opinions are far superior to some insular person who has never left the country and if so, for a short holiday.

So yes my views on China are far more valid than yours, in fact my views on America are probably are too. I haven't grown up in your bias TV culture.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
i dont think comparing america to chine is a fair comparison,china is the right brain, and america the left.Ask your self where does all the tech Ideas come from?Which nation has the most creativity?who invented the car?Who invented the computer?Who invented the T.V ? who invented the train?who invented the airplane?
My point is china has many folks that are very tech and book savy,yet they lack the creative to come up with a idea totaly new and independant from others.Most if all millitary tech is gained from espionage,or downed equip from america.If you belive for one minute that we dont have stuff out of this world you may look at our history and think again.America is the creative center from wich all tech in the 20th centery was born.I love my country and i know we make the tech, and asians improve on.
I myself would love to see the whole world as 1 goverment,but that one goverment i would want to be a republic,not a dictatorship.In the end america is balls to the wall, you kill us we kill the world,So economic war is the only war that even slightly effective aginst us.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogue1

It seems people like you who have probably never even left the country are the ones believing in some myth of America. I've lived here for a few years, lived in China, Turkey, England and was born in NZ and raised in Australia. I feel I'm qualified to comment and my opinions are far superior to some insular person who has never left the country and if so, for a short holiday.

So yes my views on China are far more valid than yours, in fact my views on America are probably are too. I haven't grown up in your bias TV culture.

Now Now lets not make uneducated Assumptions.

I was asking a serious question because I remember when I went to University in the 80s It cost my parents an arm and a leg and now My Daughter is going and its costing me a bundle.

My son will be able to get his paid for by the Military after he gets back from Greece. He has already spent a year in Iraq so now that's done.

So my question was a sincere one I would if I could get a better education at a much less cost.

Seems like the smart thing to do.

P.S. I don't watch much TV and rarely rent movies.

I like books and chatting with educated people like yourself.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by devareous
i dont think comparing america to chine is a fair comparison,china is the right brain, and america the left.Ask your self where does all the tech Ideas come from?Which nation has the most creativity?who invented the car?Who invented the computer?Who invented the T.V ? who invented the train?who invented the airplane?

Who invented paper, gunpowder, rockets ?

The Chinese are very creative and inventive, under Mao was was stymied as there was no incentive to be creative. Once the current generation of Chinese students mature expect to see alot of innovation coming from China. In the 1950's no one saw Japan as a major player in advanced electronics and yet look what happened.

Most if all millitary tech is gained from espionage,or downed equip from america.If you belive for one minute that we dont have stuff out of this world you may look at our history and think again.

America has praticed military espionage for the last 100 years. Out of this world tech, I highly doubt it. The science might be there for some things, but the engineering skills to make it practical aren't.

America is the creative center from wich all tech in the 20th centery was born.I love my country and i know we make the tech, and asians improve on.

Such as ? Alot of America's supposed "advances" came from foreign comapnies bought out by American companies - hardly home grown.

I myself would love to see the whole world as 1 goverment,but that one goverment i would want to be a republic,not a dictatorship.In the end america is balls to the wall, you kill us we kill the world,So economic war is the only war that even slightly effective aginst us.

Blah, which is why you are so impetant against Russia. You don't dare make any moves against them for fear of their larger nuclear arsenal.

Kill the world - what complete trash. I feel sorry for you kid.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   

I was asking a serious question because I remember when I went to University in the 80s It cost my parents an arm and a leg and now My Daughter is going and its costing me a bundle.

I am paying out of state tuition which is about 4 times what a person pays who lives here. For a local Kansan they pay about $3500-4000 for a full semester. I consider that cheap.

My son will be able to get his paid for by the Military after he gets back from Greece. He has already spent a year in Iraq so now that's done.

Glad he's back in one piece. I live really close to Ft Riley, so I get to speak to alot of veterens from the Mid East. In fact Petreus cam to speak here last week - I've never seen so much glinting metal on one uniform.

So my question was a sincere one I would if I could get a better education at a much less cost.

The cost isn't less and as I said before my Chinese isn't fluent enough to take a technical degree in Chinese. I may do an MBA in the future there.

P.S. I don't watch much TV and rarely rent movies.

I like books and chatting with educated people like yourself.

Sorry I mistook you for the younger generation who do nothing more than watch TV and play video games.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogue1

Sorry I mistook you for the younger generation who do nothing more than watch TV and play video games.

That's cool.

I get upset with the Chest Pounding Americans just as much as I do with those who just blindly hate the US.

LOL

I worked for a couple of Computer game companies back east and helped develop some FPS games. Good Money by the way.
I'm a Realtor by trade and have traveled throughout the US, job related been to Mexico, Canada, Europe [Germany] mostly a few times YES all on vacations.

Not all of us are ignorant.

Good luck with your schooling and I hope you find what you're looking for

PEACE

Slay

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by rogue1

Ok ill give china gunpowder, although it was in use in the middle east at the same time,and i cant say it came from america cuse america didnt exist,i also said the 21 centery.As far as i know the wright brothers made the first manned flight in a plane they invented,also a farmer invented T.V.,need i even say tesla,he wasnt from america but was a american.Where did the internet and computers as we know them come from,who did we steal it from?I uderstand steam engines principale where around since eqypt,but who made the train?If i recall didnt henry ford make the first car?I will give some tech ideas to the germans,wich we got during ww2.who actuly perfected the cannon,since i dont see a lot of asian cannons in the history.Also the scientist that whernt from america but came to america,why didnt they go to asia instead?what tech do we buy from china or even want,all i see is lead filled toys and shoes.Any tech japan and china have in the 21 centery was birthed in america.If there millitary and weaponry are so advanced why do they need to build up there millitary?
And u may feel sorry for me "kid" but the name for killing the world is called MAD, mutualy asured destruction,its not a guess, or a opinon , its a fact.
when china invents fleets of anti gravty ships, or invents quantum computers,or invents anti matter weapons ill say thats thers.Till then its all just improvements of good ol' U.S.A. tech.But in the end most if not all tech dates back to rome.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by devareous
reply to post by rogue1

Ok ill give china gunpowder, although it was in use in the middle east at the same time,and i cant say it came from america cuse america didnt exist,i also said the 21 centery

Actuall the Arabs learned about gunpowder through trade with China. 21st century ? None of the inventions you mentioned came from the 21st Century

As far as i know the wright brothers made the first manned flight in a plane they invented,also a farmer invented T.V.,need i even say tesla,he wasnt from america but was a american.

Well the Wright brothers were the first to achieve controlled powered flight, if it they hadn't got off the ground then (and alot was luck due to winds) several Europeans would have achieved it a few weeks later. The Wright Brothers didn't invent flight more they built on previous accomplishments.

And TV was not invented in America, it was invented in Europe with the first practical use being broadcasts in Germany in 1929 and televising the Berlin Olympics in 1936.

Where did the internet and computers as we know them come from,who did we steal it from?

The first programmable computer was in fact created by Germany in 1941 and called the Z-3. I'll give you the internet - Al Gore invented that.

I uderstand steam engines principale where around since eqypt,but who made the train?

In fact it was a Scotsman called James Watt who invented the steam train and pateneted the design in 1784. The first full scale railway was in 1804 in England.

If i recall didnt henry ford make the first car?I will give some tech ideas to the germans,wich we got during ww2.

No it was Karl Benz (a german) in 1885.

who actuly perfected the cannon,since i dont see a lot of asian cannons in the history.

So you're somehow saying America perfected teh cannon ? Chinese did biuld and use the very first cannons.

Also the scientist that whernt from america but came to america,why didnt they go to asia instead?

Europena scientists ? Probably because of the culture, America is a microcosm of Europe. These days alot of scientists work in China from other countries.

what tech do we buy from china or even want,all i see is lead filled toys and shoes.Any tech japan and china have in the 21 centery was birthed in america.

Hmmm how about teh TV you watch, the comuter you're using. As for your second comment - how about getting a decent education first before you go abck to your Xbox( whicha are made in Chian as well)

If there millitary and weaponry are so advanced why do they need to build up there millitary?

Never said it was - you seem to not know what you're talking about now and just ranting. Why does America need to build up their military if they're so advanced ?

And u may feel sorry for me "kid" but the name for killing the world is called MAD, mutualy asured destruction,its not a guess, or a opinon , its a fact.

A relic of the Cold War and you obviously don't know what the doctrine was about, becuae you completey misuse it in your argument.

I suggest you do a little more reading books (the less pictures the better) and less time watching cartoons and playing video games. It seems you know nothing of the invetions you trumpet as American, because almost all of them weren't

[edit on 5-5-2009 by rogue1]

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Darth_Prime

I'm inclined to believe that China is matching it's military capability to it's largest potential threat, which is what any military should do.

China, Russia and America are the three largest military players, and China has a relationship with Russia. It makes sense that China should focus it's defense funding on a threat from the next in line.

We have to also consider that America is financially unstable, it has already been said by strategists and economists all over the world that America's period of global leadership is coming to an end.

I too expect that there will be tough times ahead, and I think America is the next "empire" to fall. It makes sense that China and/or Russia might take advantage of its collapse.

So, China increasing its military to match a potential confrontation with the US makes sense in many ways.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I have the feeling that the world must be ready to USA to go nuts and start some crazy war. We know the history.... any excuse is a good excuse to USA go to war.
So any sane country should be ready to when USA go crazy/collapse because we never know what a falling empire will do in that moment. Remember USA was building up the defense against a possible Mexico collapse. The other way is true too.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
x

[edit on 5-5-2009 by Thebudweiserstuntman]

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Wow, sometimes these conversations make me laugh hysterically. Is it just me or is this thread about China building up there defense? Who cares who invented what and who is going to invent what next, its does not matter. What matters is the fact that we, the US have just passed a massive defense budget and if I was in China I would like to see my government building up my military. The US has the worlds most powerful military regardless of what our economy is doing and any country would be wise to try to match the might of our armed forces...

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I don't think it's seen as a direct military threat to the US , as in the build up of their navy is going to bring about a new battle of midway , ie an out an out conflict of military forces and hardware. It's force projection, it's to protect their overseas trade , it's to ensure chinese power is evident in every corner of the globe. In that way it is a threat to the US , as obviously that is the situation the US are in at the moment and would like to keep it , and another 'kid on the block' so to speak with similar force projection and ability to negotiate trade with that kind of power is a threat.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join