It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You Honestly Scared of Death?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I mean really with everything happening now. War, Swine flu, One-world government probably all tied up together. I just feel like: Get on with it! Anyone else? I know lots of you out there have kids and loved ones you are worried about, and I guess it just comes down to what you think is "after". But are you really afraid of the end? Or do you welcome it with NO FEAR as I do. Because you understand that this life we live is but a blink of the eye in relation to the age of this world. If we go and there is nothing to welcome us. SO BE IT. If it is beyond our wildest dreams, And I believe it is, then we have been stressed out in this existence for no apparent reason.

But we don't really know do we? That is the biggest question of all humanity. NO ONE KNOWS. We can have faith. But in the end, either it is or it isn't and their is no truth either way. So the way I see it, Why be scared at all? Our lives don't even dare to make a dent in history as we know it. So if they end in the ultimate darkness then what is the loss really? I know that is bleak but wwe have no proof to prove otherwise so.......in the grand scheme of things, HOW FUTILE IS THE WORRY

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Nope. Can't say i fear death. I fear the suffering that may lead to it a bit but not death itself. I know where i'm going afterwords.

TA

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Fear death? Not a chance.

At worst it is an annoying delay, at best refreshing. The worst part is waiting for the new body to catch up; that, and dealing with "elders" who are younger than you.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by dtice
do we? That is the biggest question of all humanity. NO ONE KNOWS. We can have faith. But in the end, either it is or it isn't and their is no truth either way. So the way I see it, Why be scared at all? Our lives don't even dare to make a dent in history as we know it. So if they end in the ultimate darkness then what is the loss really? I know that is bleak but wwe have no proof to prove otherwise so.......in the grand scheme of things, HOW FUTILE IS THE WORRY

You are correct nobody knows what happens after death and that is where the worrying stems from in my opinion.

If everyone knew that after death they would go to a wonderful world with sugary pillows and gumdrop mountains then who would worry about death?

People don't know so they are scared that it may be nothing but blackness. The fact that our existence is minuscule is meaningless because this could be our only shot at an existence, and that scares people.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
No offense to any of you, but it seems only fools fear what they can not avoid.

None of us are immortal (to my knowledge), to fear death is downright silly.

[edit on 4/29/2009 by JPhish]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by JPhish

Are there different 'levels' of death?

Meaning...since there are no real words, in English, to convey these ideas...

What is the difference between suicide, murder, accidental death and 'natural causes', if any?

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by JPhish

I Agree completely. The best we can do is try to live a good life, be good to other people, and hope for the best.

The way I see it, there are three possibilities:

1) We die, and cease to exist. Well, it was a good ride while it lasted.
2) We die, and get reincarnated on Earth or somewhere else in the Universe.
3) We die, and live the rest of eternity in an afterlife. Depending on the rules of the afterlife, this is where living life as a good person might come in handy.

There is a fourth possibility, Quantum Immortality, but I won't go into it here.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by LiquidLight
There is a fourth possibility, Quantum Immortality, but I won't go into it here.

You're already in it here and now, so you're right there's not point going into it.

I'm pretty confident that the universe is a self aware information processing quantum holographic mind, and therefore quite capable of remembering, and if appropriate, resurrecting - whatever that means.

But to think that there's a state or non state of non existence is absurd.

Everything is what is, and if you're here now, then how could you be "not"? That just doesn't make any sense.

"You are mistaken, because for God, all people are alive." ~ JC, re: dead prophets.

[edit on 29-4-2009 by OmegaPoint]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
reply to post by JPhish

Are there different 'levels' of death?

Meaning...since there are no real words, in English, to convey these ideas...

What is the difference between suicide, murder, accidental death and 'natural causes', if any?
well i'm sure most of us recognize the obvious circumstantial differences between these . . .

so . . . are you referring to how much fear should be attributed to each? if any fear at all?

You can avoid committing suicide intentionally
You can attempt to avoid being murdered
You can try to avoid an accidental fatality
You can try to delay the process of dieing

Eventually you’re dead though, no matter what. It’s one of the few truths I will stand by.

The ideas aren’t completely intangible, but to elucidate with an analogous question. . .

Are you afraid of being attacked by a bear or are you afraid of dieing as a result of being attacked by the bear?

PS: well said Liquidlight

[edit on 4/29/2009 by JPhish]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by JPhish

While it's true fearing death is silly, most everyone does.

I think it was the Buddha who said that all fear roots from the fear of death.

Most everyone experiences fear. Consciously or unconsciously, they experience the fear of death all the time!

I actively thought about it for a long time, so that it was no longer an unknown fear bouncing around my subconscious all the time.

I think it was time and energy well spent, as I'm much less effected by the material world now.

[edit on 29-4-2009 by unityemissions]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Well I look at it this way. How many billions have died before me? Its not like I will be the fist person to die.

The state of this world is not for me, and when it is time, so be it. I do fear the suffering. I hate pain. So I hope it is fast and not from a darn flu. I have a heart arrythmia that can drop me dead any second, I would prefer it that way.

I just do not want my death to be in vain. I want to at least say that I tried to do something. I mean we all die, so I want to make it count if it gets that bad .
It looks like it is getting that bad.

Like the phrase from that song " you never know why your alive, until you know what you would die for"

Ama

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I fear the judgement that I believe comes with death.

and as one poster said... I fear the possible suffering that I and many others might have to endure before death.

But death it's self... I'm not fearless of... but at the same time, death, and only death, doesn't really scare me. I just hope I get to do some of the things I wanted to do on this world before I die, because I'm pretty sure I won't get the chance again. (one life to live.)

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I'm only afraid of what's before dying.. all the challenges we must face to really accept death as a part of 'life'.

As said in here :

That's what I'm most scared of in the back of my head

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Of course I am scared of death and for the same reason that I am scared to ingest this Salvia quid and go temporarily insane.
Most people have a hard time completely letting go.

Yeah, theres no real way of telling if your ready. I dont care how much you think you are ready, there is no way of knowing intill you are face to face with the unimaginable. And do you think youll be in control?

[edit on 29-4-2009 by Wisen Heimer]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Wisen Heimer

Maybe it was the morphine drip, or the dialaysis, as he neared death...but, my Father was an entirely different person as he laid in his hospital bed, before he died.

I could tell when he was cognizant...and he told me, reluctantly, about what he saw. He found comfort, in what he saw.

He told me that he could see - something, in the room. He described them as looking as fully formed as me, or the nurses....except, they came and went. Or, even when I was with him in the ICU, he would say that he could see them, in the room with us.

My Father was NEVER spiritual....not a day in his life!!!

edit = here....the visions, according to my Father, were of past relatives...people who he felt comforted by....

He was never afraid of dying....never. He was intubated, and he really wanted a taste of some grape juice....while the Nurse was out of the room (this is another instance, obviously...before ICU) I helped him drink, carefully, a few sips of grape juice....the NURSE came in, and chewed me out!!! Well....I chewed right back!!! He had a nice taste, and he didn't choke...I knew enough to understand the risk, after being intubated.

His comfort trumped Hospital Policy, in my mind.

Sorry....I've lost track.....Oh, being 'scared' of death!

My Dad's death taught me that I am not afraid. 'Nuf said.....

[edit on 4/29/0909 by weedwhacker]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
reply to post by Wisen Heimer

Maybe it was the morphine drip, or the dialaysis, as he neared death...but, my Father was an entirely different person as he laid in his hospital bed, before he died.

I could tell when he was cognizant...and he told me, reluctantly, about what he saw. He found comfort, in what he saw.

He told me that he could see - something, in the room. He described them as looking as fully formed as me, or the nurses....except, they came and went. Or, even when I was with him in the ICU, he would say that he could see them, in the room with us.

What a great story. Thanks for sharing that! (and sorry for your loss of course)
And thank you everyone for the great responses!

I think we are given free will for a reason. And I believe that reason is a kharmic one. I believe we are here to "get it right". And if that is the case then there would have to be something to come. I just don't see how with human's awareness and language and creativity so different from the animals, we could only be here as just another dying species to fertilize the earth. Or as the great George Carlin put it "Humanity's only reason for existence was because the earth needed plastic", or something like that lol.

Anyway, not fearing death allows me to constantly remind myself that this bag of bones I currently occupy, or EXPERIENCE as the case may be, is not who I am. And it's not that I fear I will not experience everything I want to either. You can live a fulfilled life as long as you think you have. When it comes down to it. It's all about you and YOUR PERCEPTION of things. That's really all that matters. I just want to "get it right" this time around. Peace

My Father was NEVER spiritual....not a day in his life!!!

edit = here....the visions, according to my Father, were of past relatives...people who he felt comforted by....

He was never afraid of dying....never. He was intubated, and he really wanted a taste of some grape juice....while the Nurse was out of the room (this is another instance, obviously...before ICU) I helped him drink, carefully, a few sips of grape juice....the NURSE came in, and chewed me out!!! Well....I chewed right back!!! He had a nice taste, and he didn't choke...I knew enough to understand the risk, after being intubated.

His comfort trumped Hospital Policy, in my mind.

Sorry....I've lost track.....Oh, being 'scared' of death!

My Dad's death taught me that I am not afraid. 'Nuf said.....

[edit on 4/29/0909 by weedwhacker]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
If I were to die right now I would be sad I didn't have more time to spend with my new granddaughter..but scared? no... Heck I never expected to live this long,,,If I knew I would I'd have taking better care of my bod...

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I'm looking forward to being dead.

It's the death process that I don't want to deal with. The pain. The suffering. The not being able to breathe. That kind of thing.

But being dead itself ... I'm looking forward to it.

I have untreatable glaucoma, irregular heartbeats, tennis elbows, carpal tunnel, burcitis in my shoulder (spelling?), kidney stones, painful knee problems, osteoperosis in my spine, shin splints ... etc ....

I'm looking forward to it being all gone and seeing God face to face so I can finally find out what the heck the truth of everything really is.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Well I didn't just intend to quote Wisen Heimer's story up there. I actually wrote something profound to go along with it but it didn't make it after the qoute. Just basically saying thanks for the great story to Wisen Heimer (and sorry for your loss, of course). And to thank you all for the wonderful responses!

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I believe we are here to "get it right". And if that is the case, then there would have to be something afterward. I just can't fathom with humanity's awareness, language and creativity, we are here as just another dying species to fertilize the earth. Or like the late great George Carlin said "humans only reason for existence was because the earth needed plastic" or something along those lines lol.

With that being said, not having a fear of death allows me to constantly remind myself I am not this bag of bones I am currently experiencing on this earth plane. I also do not fear not being able to see or do or accomplish everything I intended because I believe a fulfilled life is only due to your perception of it. I just want to "get it right" this time around.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join