It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How did you decide which religion is correct?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I'm curious about how people decided which religion was correct, and therefore should follow?

To me it seems a lot of people just are in a religion because that's the one their parents were in, or the one that's popular in their area.

To me that doesn't seem to be a very good reason, if I was going to choose a religion to follow, I would have to evaluate them all, and their claims, to see which one, if any, was correct.

I understand that to many people, evaluating claims is against the spirit of 'faith', but then many religions talk about having faith, but how do you know which one is for real?

So that is my question really to the religious, did you choose your religion, and if so how? If you didn't choose it, and were born into it or similar, how are you sure it's the correct one?

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
One thing i see the people at the top of society. These people are absolute beasts. So therefore i assume that karma does not exist as this would e against this, and the cast system is rubbish. So thats hinduism out.

I like alot of christianity, and buddhism, and i think that you find some truths in all religions, i just do not like hinduism at all, and if you look at india, why would you want to make the world like that country, except if you the leaders.

All jesus's words you can take and every human who still has a heart can understand them, so i do believe in him. Plus i like alot about buddhism.

So i am a mixture of the two.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Well that would be the million dollar question now isn't it?

How do can we possibly know which religion is the right one, or if there is a right one at all?

The answer is simpler than you think. We cannot know. It is impossible, since as humans we are not equipped to contemplate or understand such a complex idea.

The idea of god and creation, is beyond our ability to interpret and understand.

I preach the gospel of I don't know, because I don't. And anybody who attempts to figure it out is wasting their time. The only way to truly know is to die and then you can't tell anybody about your discovery.

Most people are indoctrinated into their religions. They are raised from birth. Some find it after traumatic events that require a shoulder to cry on, or a place to put the blame.

Others simply want something to believe in, to believe they are not alone in the world and that this is it. It would be pretty depressing if it was I'll give them that.

Really it all comes down to belief and matter of opinion. In my case, I am on the fence, and plan to remain till I am buried underneath it.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Religion i've always seen it as more or less, what the person is really to give up for it.

Some people choose christianity, but still rule out things in there like, It's not ok to be gay, or a cornucpoia of others. There are tons of gay christians, and well that doesn't make since to me particularly.

It's just what your parents believed in, or if you've been a victim of coincedence around a religion, making you believe that a Divine Power came about.

For me Atheist is the best religion. I don't claim to have all the answers honestly. I just know, that I don't know, and to pretend to know, is to be ignorant, and arrogant.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
Religion i've always seen it as more or less, what the person is really to give up for it.

Some people choose christianity, but still rule out things in there like, It's not ok to be gay, or a cornucpoia of others. There are tons of gay christians, and well that doesn't make since to me particularly.

It's just what your parents believed in, or if you've been a victim of coincedence around a religion, making you believe that a Divine Power came about.

For me Atheist is the best religion. I don't claim to have all the answers honestly. I just know, that I don't know, and to pretend to know, is to be ignorant, and arrogant.

Then you are not an Atheist friend. Atheists believe in nothing. No light and the end of the tunnel, just 6 feet worth of dirt.

You my friend are an Agnostic.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I have looked into many many many religions, and they all had the same problem (IMO):

They are all huMan made.

Like an above poster said, there is no way for them to know unless they have experienced it first hand.

Elaborating on that, experiencing something requires the 5 senses (Sight, Smell, Sound, Touch, Taste) How can one experience these things without a brain to support the electro-chemical reactions required to produce the senses?

So when they say they experience something they they themselves say "Is beyond comprehension" I call hoax.

I have yet to find a relgion that does not do this, with the exception of Taoism. But from what I have read, their afterlife is nothing. (Smacks of Atheism to me.)

So here I sit, still on the Agnostic fence. I am leaning towards an 'afterlife' though, just based on what I have read about quantum theories. As for Religon, just a bunch of hoopla in my opinion. But if it makes a person content to hoopla, then by all means hoopla away!

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I never thought any religion was "correct"

that's why I've been agnostic since eighth grade

[edit on 26-4-2009 by zetamafia911]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Well that would be the million dollar question now isn't it?

Probably if you were of a spiritual bent it would be the million year question?

How do can we possibly know which religion is the right one, or if there is a right one at all?

If as most with the view on religion being like yours feel it probably very material and material, then taking the scientific route and experimenting, till you find the "results" that prove it to yourself.

The answer is simpler than you think.

It certainly is.

We cannot know.

Please do not speak for humanity, or me, with your perspective and experience, and results.

It is impossible

Most of humanity would disagree through history.

since as humans we are not equipped to contemplate or understand such a complex idea.

Is a drop unable to know the ocean or have oceanness within it, and therefore experience this?

The idea of god and creation, is beyond our ability to interpret and understand.

Who mentioned God and creation?

Is that your interpretation and view of religion?

I preach the gospel of I don't know, because I don't.

The "I" is important here, and does not speak for many "We" and "Us"

And anybody who attempts to figure it out is wasting their time.

As opposed to telling everyone who tries or has that they are wasting their time? Whose time is spent best?

Those looking for the ultimate truth of reality or those who denounce those who have and claimed to ave done so?

The only way to truly know is to die and then you can't tell anybody about your discovery.

Mmmm Big NO NO here you are in conversation here with a NDE survivor, I shouldn't be here.

I am living proof that your last statement is false and wrong.

Most people are indoctrinated into their religions.

Very true. But then it is just like a "preference" of fashion etc, your like or dislike.

They are raised from birth.

The universe certainly does raise us all since birth.

Some find it after traumatic events that require a shoulder to cry on,

Indeed, true, or even get a kick up the backside to look at it through the very same beliefs indoctrinated in them since young as you point out and search, quest for it.

or a place to put the blame.

Oh how true.

Others simply want something to believe in,

good observation, a psychological need and blanket, like our first love will never end.

to believe they are not alone in the world and that this is it.

Do you feel alone in the world then, separate from the rest of the world?

It would be pretty depressing if it was I'll give them that.

Well in reality if you look at the above, and your post you are talking to yourself? only they find a way out of the darkness of the depression?

Really it all comes down to belief and matter of opinion.

Faith is very important yes, wont go into it here, however stating the ultimate nature of the validity of any religion's veracity, therefore any divine truth of this universe is based on a human's perspective and opinion is very
egocentrical.

In my case, I am on the fence,

Quite the opposite actually from what you have described in your writings on your belief structures, ideas and faith in this regard. You seem to have a very strong belief structure in place. Just as strong as many "Fundementalist" believer's infact.

and plan to remain till I am buried underneath it.

Then what happens?

Also are you Psychic to?

You may become a man of great faith and belief in your lifetime yet, and if you know this is impossible then you must be a prophet which seems to go against the grain of your analysis.

If so is psychic phenomina then just part of the system that makes said dirt this body will be buried under?

My last sentence above many may see if they look closely the real 60 million Dollar question lol.

Kind Regards,

Elf.

EDit to add there are many roads to rome as they say, and the road you take is based on preference, depending on your transport and time spent just quickly just getting there or taking in the sights on the way. Each road even with detours, if followed closely, and no wrong turns are made, or bandits on the way allowed to enter lead to the same destination though.

Many on those roads claim to have a Map and to have been to Rome but really are just con men though. Especially the ones charging for the maps, or saying only they have such a map...

Personally Buddhism as it helps in the NOW as well as the after life, and as the Buddha said

Do not take what I say as true because I say it, (do not have blind faith), but take my words and test them yourself (try it out) as you would test Gold before buying buying it

Never not found a nugget within it yet

[edit on 26-4-2009 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
If you ask me Taoism is the best™ religion.

Wu wei is the most important concept of Taoism:

The goal for wu wei is to get out of your own way, so to speak. This is like when you are playing an instrument and if you start thinking about playing the instrument, then you will get in your own way and interfere with your own playing. It is aimless action, because if there was a goal that you need to aim at and hit, then you will develop anxiety about this goal. Zhuangzi made a point of this, where he writes about an archer who at first didn't have anything to aim at. When there was nothing to aim at, the archer was happy and content with his being. He was practicing wu wei. But, then he set up a target and "got in his own way." He was going against the Tao and the natural course of things by having to hit that goal.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by RubberBaron

How did you decide which religion is correct?

For most of the people of the world , it is an accident of geography .

Almost hereditary, on reflection .

Exposure to anything on a consistent basis during our formative years ,leaves quite a watermark upon us.

[edit on 26-4-2009 by UmbraSumus]

[edit on 26-4-2009 by UmbraSumus]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by RubberBaron

I think what someone believes is true, for them. Science seems to be uncovering a link between observed and observer in ways that seem to suggest that we affect what is true about reality. Which is why proactive atheists bug me so much, they want to lock themselves into a little black box called oblivion for eternity which is sad but entirely their right and choice but what bothers me is they want me to do the same.

[edit on 26-4-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by rhinoceros

Mindfulness Later brought into Buddhism, the way to stop suffering,

Pain and Dissapointment affect us all, therefore have NO ATTACHMENTS, dont cling, dont expect, dont hold on, so no matter what happens you just focus on the core, wui wui but with a heart, wui wui with unconditional love, so you are love if things are good or bad, realising they are just part of the manifestation of the whole universe.

Cant change what is or has happened, so why worry?

Just Love and help where you can, and be in the now like the archer, totally absorbed in the act of what you are doing being present.

Shinay meditation in Buddhism etc trains you to experience this 24/7.

Kind Regards,

Elf.

[edit on 26-4-2009 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
if the glove dont fit dont wear it.

be your own religeon, thats the only true religion religion of self

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by serin sister

Well many through history agree,

Hitler

Pol Pot

Stalin

Mao

GW mm sorry

Ghengis Khan

etc etc

They seemed to have a very strong belief in the self indeed.

And followed it passionately to say the least

Elf.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
They're all equally correct. All of them are 100% true and a direct line to the gods.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Funny, Elf, they each had different ideas they claimed to serve.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Somewhere between Pagan and North American Indian would be me. To say that those before us are not worthy seems a bit insane for lack of a better word.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Probably if you were of a spiritual bent it would be the million year question?

I am spiritual, and yes it is the million year question. I've been contemplating the idea for a few hundred years now.

Please do not speak for humanity, or me, with your perspective and experience, and results.

I generalize to imply that as a SPECIEs we will never collectively understand or know the inner workings of the after life or the life force that binds us all together.

At the individual level, some people as yourself may have seen a glimmer of what it is to be "dead" but it cannot be proven so long as you didn't remain dead. Your experience could either be what happens, or the simultaneous firing of all your synapses and the flushing of '___' from your peneal gland.

Most of humanity would disagree through history.

And that's the problem. Throughout history we've invented different theories for the things we could not explain. As we grow older as a species it is important to understand that without understand all of "God's" creations and their inner workings, then how can we possibly understand the or know the entity that created it all?

Is a drop unable to know the ocean or have oceanness within it, and therefore experience this?

Depends if the drop is concious of it's surroundings or not. Do we know if it is, no, therefore we cannot speculate as to it's feelings. The same applies to our concept of God and the afterlife. We are concious beings, meaning we can attempt to interpret and understand.

Who mentioned God and creation?
Is that your interpretation and view of religion?

My interpretation of view of religion is that people have long been creating things to believe in or to explain how certain things work the the necessary science was not available.

Is there an after life? Yes, there most certainly is. I say that because through my meditations among other activities I have had experiences that would lead me to believe that there is much more after this boring 3rd dimension perspective is over.

However I don't believe it to be the one that religion claims it to be. They are far too precise and dreary for my liking.

As opposed to telling everyone who tries or has that they are wasting their time? Whose time is spent best?

Those looking for the ultimate truth of reality or those who denounce those who have and claimed to ave done so?

I am on a continual search for the truth about reality, I simply stating that we cannot possibly have found the answer, not with the tools available to us. The problem with religion is it's inability to see past the end of it's nose.

If religion weren't so static it would be a wonderful thing. True religion should adapt to the environment in which it's followers live. Static rules and rhetoric only serve to divide people.

Mmmm Big NO NO here you are in conversation here with a NDE survivor, I shouldn't be here.

I am living proof that your last statement is false and wrong.

Again, as stated above, your experience is one of two things.

Do you feel alone in the world then, separate from the rest of the world?

No I think the world has this idea that we are all seperated from eachother. That we are each a unique individual. Truth is we are all connected, through which means there are many theories.

I feel very connected to humanity and this planet as my avatar will clearly state. The energy which flows in and out of all life is very apparent to me and it is joining force, not a dividing one that pics people at random to carry out amazing tasks.

Well in reality if you look at the above, and your post you are talking to yourself? only they find a way out of the darkness of the depression?

I am not depressed and I am not in the dark. When I speak negatively about religion, I am speaking about organized religion. The ones that feed off the simple and easily convinced.

The darkness ended for me once I removed myself from such oppressing beliefs brought on by various churches I attended during my youth. The sense of guilt and fear of something I could not see or understand was lifted. It's a wonderful thing.

Quite the opposite actually from what you have described in your writings on your belief structures, ideas and faith in this regard. You seem to have a very strong belief structure in place. Just as strong as many "Fundementalist" believer's infact.

I do have a very strong belief structure you are right, however I do have my doubts like everybody does. There's a little bit of atheist in everybody.

Then what happens?

Also are you Psychic to?

You may become a man of great faith and belief in your lifetime yet, and if you know this is impossible then you must be a prophet which seems to go against the grain of your analysis.

If so is psychic phenomina then just part of the system that makes said dirt this body will be buried under?

What happens afterwards? I don't know, and I won't sit here and claim to know what it is that happens. I know what will happen physically, I will simply cease to exist and my body will perish among the Earth to be recycled to allow another living organism to live.

I am no phycic, but I am very spiritual and have had multiple experiences which lead to believe that things go on a certain way, however since I have no proof of these things and again my experiences could simply be matter of brain chemistry creating certain chemicals, I will never tell anybody that my beliefs are better than theirs.

I'm simply a realist when it comes to religion in general. Be skeptical of everything that is told to you and make up your own mind based on your experiences.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I am a Christian Mystic. When I reached rock bottom in my life I cried out and asked if God was real and to let me know. Next day an old friend I hadn't talked to in years called me to see if I want to do Bible studies. If that wasn't a sign then I can't tell you.

I'm not going to argue or defend any positions here. I just simply want to say that what-ever path you choose, make sure it is the "mystical branch" of that path.

Mystical refers to directly experiencing Spiritual realities and God. Yes they are beyond comprehension and beyond the mind. Don't listen to the one poster who said he doesn't believe in the concept "beyond comprehension." I wouldn't have believed it either about 5 years ago until it happened to me. Plus the Mind thinks it is "I" but its not. You can be aware of the mind and its thinking, deciding, judgments, and emotions. None of those are you and "you" can be aware of those things.

Just like the thought of a rock isn't a rock, so who you "think" you are, isn't "you" But now Im going into self inquiry and many don't get this aspect.

So yeah I highly recommend that you make sure its a mystical branch and also that you look into self inquiry and knowing yourself, who you are. Many aspects you think are you, aren't. The part of you that "thinks," which is the mind, also isn't you but it is a tool for the real you to use. Plus meditation is extremely important. To unlearn and unprogram all the crap that society, friends, parents, TV and school has instilled.

Everything else you look into on the surface will be a bunch of B.S. arguing that "we're right and everyone else is wrong." Its important to get past that, to transcend it, and just Love and accept everyone for who and where they are in life.

My 2 cents

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by MischeviousElf

Originally posted by serin sister

Well many through history agree,

Hitler

Pol Pot

Stalin

Mao

GW mm sorry

Ghengis Khan

etc etc

They seemed to have a very strong belief in the self indeed.

And followed it passionately to say the least

Elf.

What ? Are you trying to say that people who DONT believe in gods are evil? Or that people can do evil things whether they believe in gods or not?

Either way - ridiculous position to take. Religion and gods are easily understandable and dismissed - its that simple, they are a human creation. If you need to believe in fictitious fantasies to help you get on with life, to provide you with morality and ethical structure as your to completely incompetent to do this on your own, to maintain a sense of direction and community without the need to rely on destructive, oppressive systems of human control - (yes just as nazism was) then that this is your choice. But have the decency to acknowledge what you are doing, how wrong it is and that it is not true - but you just need it.

Stalin and Hitler at least had the decency to admit what they were doing was not in the best interests of many beyond their own kind.....the worst thing about religious nutters is that they inflict this evil on the world but then wont eve acknowledge its wrong. Thats the worst part.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join