It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistan urges Taliban to lay down arms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Pakistan urges Taliban to lay down arms

www.reuters.com

ISLAMABAD, April 26 (Reuters) - Pakistan called on Taliban fighters to lay down their arms after security forces launched an offensive on Sunday to stop their advance in a troubled northwestern region.

"These extremists have no other option but to lay down arms because the government is serious in flushing them out," interior ministry chief Rehman Malik told Reuters.

The military operation in the North West Frontier Province came amid growing worries in the United States about the stability of its nuclear-armed ally after militants began extending their influence.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Nuclear fears prompt Pakistan to prepare attack on Taleban
Pakistan bid to stop Taleban push

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Well it looks like the Taliban may have taken a beating. I'm wondering if they have bitten off more than they can chew? I read another report stating the US has reservation about supplying the Pakistanis with more weapons and supplies that could possibly be used in issues with India.

The report goes on to state US concerns in this matter.

"We can't even contemplate that," U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said in an interview with Fox News in Baghdad.

"We cannot ... let this go on any further. Which is why we're pushing so hard for the Pakistanis to come together around a strategy to take their country back."

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 26-4-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   

No replies?
Now that is a conspiracy.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I really doubt the Taliban are just going to say "OK, you win. We'll stop fighting." The article you linked states that the Taliban has said it will get retribution on the people that planned this assault. That doesn't sound like they are going to lay down there arms to me.

This is a very serious issue that isn't getting much attention at the moment.

I wish makeitso was around. He always seems to have good insights into what is happening in Pakistan.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I wonder what the contingency plan is should the Paki government does fail? Will they use their nukes or will the world leaders intervene and remove the nukes to a safe haven? A stalemate like this with the Taliban only delays the inevitable.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I dont know who armed Pakistan with nuclear weapons when its being occupied by Taliban, Boy did they pick the wrong time...?If they get their dirty hands on those nuke, were all screwed!!!

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by CuteAngel

Pakistan Nuclear Weapons

A Brief History of Pakistan's Nuclear Program

Pakistan's nuclear weapons program was established in 1972 by Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto, who founded the program while he was Minister for Fuel, Power and Natural Resources, and later became President and Prime Minister. Shortly after the loss of East Pakistan in the 1971 war with India, Bhutto initiated the program with a meeting of physicists and engineers at Multan in January 1972.

India's 1974 testing of a nuclear "device" gave Pakistan's nuclear program new momentum. Through the late 1970s, Pakistan's program acquired sensitive uranium enrichment technology and expertise. The 1975 arrival of Dr. Abdul Qadeer Khan considerably advanced these efforts. Dr. Khan is a German-trained metallurgist who brought with him knowledge of gas centrifuge technologies that he had acquired through his position at the classified URENCO uranium enrichment plant in the Netherlands. Dr. Khan also reportedly brought with him stolen uranium enrichment technologies from Europe. He was put in charge of building, equipping and operating Pakistan's Kahuta facility, which was established in 1976. Under Khan's direction, Pakistan employed an extensive clandestine network in order to obtain the necessary materials and technology for its developing uranium enrichment capabilities.

In 1985, Pakistan crossed the threshold of weapons-grade uranium production, and by 1986 it is thought to have produced enough fissile material for a nuclear weapon. Pakistan continued advancing its uranium enrichment program, and according to Pakistani sources, the nation acquired the ability to carry out a nuclear explosion in 1987.

[edit on 26-4-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Yeah, you can really trust the goverment of Pakistan..the same goverment whos intelligence branch sent Mohammed Atta 200,000 dollars..but thats all conveniently forgotton now isnt it..

new topics

top topics

join