It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Miss Calif.: Anti-gay marriage answer 'Cost me my crown'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Miss Calif.: Anti-gay marriage answer 'Cost me my crown'

tv.msn.com

During the show, celebrity judge Perez Hilton asked Prejean on whether she thought same-sex marriage should be legalized. Prejean replied: "In my country, and in my family, I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman." Prejean later lost to Miss North Carolina Kristen Dalton, who took home the crown.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Carrie Prejean is not that old to try again and win the Vatican beauty peagant.

One would think that the Miss USA title would go to the most liberal state, but the mind of the judges work peculiar way. Miss North Carolina took the crown:

Last week's historic ruling from California's Supreme Court legalized marriage for same-sex couples in the nation's most populous state. That court decision puts California on the path to joining Massachusetts as the second state to officially recognize gay marriages. But, the ruling could have implications for legislative decisions in other states, even North Carolina, where the Defense of Marriage Act forbids unions between people of the same sex.

Well, perhaps Carrie's loss wasn't caused by the way her old-fashioned eyes see stuff around her; perhaps she lost, coz her [SNIP] butt were not shapely enough for the judges.

tv.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Note: General ATS Discussion Etiquette – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 21-4-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I watched the clip from that, and I think Miss NC should have been given a harder question, or Miss Cali should not have been given the gay marriage question. That seemed very much like a gimme for Miss NC.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Meh, I'm surprised that the California chick actually said that. How stupid could she be, California is only the gayest state in the Union. ( And I mean that will all respects)

I didn't catch the show but saw most of the clips, I disagree with the questions that were given to both candidates as Miss USA would never be caught dead supporting any sort of gay Agenda whether it be pro or con.

But hey, that's the way the cookie crumbles.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Good for Miss California for sticking to her beliefs even though it might have cost her the crown.

What a stupid question to ask anyway. She is not running for office, it's a darn beauty pageant.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by stander

I saw that clip on youtube. I don't care what you believe the fact that she gave her truth without spin. She hesitated and took what she perceived as the high road.

I wish she wold have won. She had conviction.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I really dont see the big deal? Why is everybody going on about was she said? Its her personal belief. What gays and fellow liberals have to understand is that simply afew pased laws around the nation regarding gay marriage aint ganna change the mindset of most americans in one day. Why the heck did he act surprised? The questioner? Must everybody agree with gay marriage? There are people who hold personal religious beliefs, I certainly would've rather have Miss California be honest as opposed to lying for some crown.

On another note though marriage is law and in such under the constitution should not discrimminate those citizens living under it. The only law for marriage broken here is the one in bible, and as a believer of God I say we protect marriage within itself and lobby for it to be taken out of the laws so it remains christian. Religion and state shouldnt be mixing in anycase, as the constitution states.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I am glad she lost. Yes, she has every right to speak her beliefs , but she also has to live with the consequences of speaking those beliefs.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllInMyHead

I am glad she lost. Yes, she has every right to speak her beliefs , but she also has to live with the consequences of speaking those beliefs.

It all comes as a bad omen for Pope Benedict XVI who observed his fourth anniversary of being elevated to the papacy on April 19.

If I were him, I would invite Carrie to the Vatican and show her around.

"Miss California, if you were invited to by the Holy See for sightseeing trip, do you think it would make Breaking News or Political News?"

"I believe that only God knows that and I'm ready to live with the consequences of my belief."

Here you go, hon.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I don't see how they said she lost because of what she said. She was asked her opinion on the subject. How can you deduct points because you don't agree with someones opinion? It seems to me that this was a question without a right or wrong answer.

So, how does one give a wrong personal opinion?

How does one judge when they don't put aside personal beliefs?

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I really don't care about these beauty pagent shows. It matters not to me who wins or who loses. I suppose it has come to showing the beauty inside and outside of the contestants. My wife is not agreeable to gay marriage. I am. It doesn't effect our relationship in any way. IMO I think if there was another word for gay marriage, besides marriage, a whole lot of people would agree to same gender couples having a legally recognized union. Small steps lead to greater strides in human development. But, hey, Miss California was expressing the ideals of the majority voters in California. No same sex marriage. It's a struggle. Some might not live to see the end of it. That is the way of the world. This is coming from a guy who once heckled a transvestite standing on the street in San Diego. I would like to apoligize to that person, but I don't know who it was. I would love to one day be able to walk down the aisle with my oldest daughter, "giving" her hand in marriage to her same sex partner, who makes her happier than any man ever did.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
I don't see how they said she lost because of what she said. She was asked her opinion on the subject. How can you deduct points because you don't agree with someones opinion? It seems to me that this was a question without a right or wrong answer.

Well, she BELIEVES that she was discriminated by her answer. Her runner up showing could have other causes apart from what her personal opinion states.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
She sounds bitter for losing the crown so she picked an issue that would gain attention to complain about. No one would give a crap about some whining beauty queen if she lost and said it was because of a non-hot button issue, but she claimed she lost because of a hot button issue, so now people care. This is really not worth wasting attention on, unless you're projecting your own feelings about gay marriage onto this issue.

She lost. Boo-hoo. Move on. I know conservatives complaining would be thinking the same thing if a beauty queen claimed she lost because she agreed with same sex marriage.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
well no one seems to have said anything about the fact that this was a loaded question from a openly gay man, of course he was completly objective in his desision Im sure he did not hold this agianst her.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Miss California, you held to your beliefs about the marriage issue and represented your state that voted against gay marriage. No matter how I believe on this issue when it comes to gay marriage you were truthful on how you believed marriage should be between a man and woman.

In my eyes you won the crown and this crown is the hearts of millions of Americans and how they believe on this issue of marriage. So again you did not lose at all you won in my eyes and in the eyes of millions of fellow Americans because you spoke your truth on the matter.

[edit on 21-4-2009 by amari]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I cannot believe that an openly gay man is a judge on a beauty pageant.
Maybe next year they can get a Catholic priest as well. I would have asked to be given a question by another judge. I do not perceive gay men as being qualified to judge a female beauty pageant.

What is Perez Hilton's "talent" anyway? How does somebody that goofy even relate to normal society?

I think convicts serving life sentences should be beauty pageant judges. Those guys would really appreciate a beautiful woman.

[edit on 4-21-2009 by groingrinder]

[edit on 4-21-2009 by groingrinder]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Verd_Vhett
well no one seems to have said anything about the fact that this was a loaded question from a openly gay man, of course he was completly objective in his desision Im sure he did not hold this agianst her.

I'll give you that, he should have voted on how she handled the question. She did so honestly with conviction. Instead he judged her because he disliked her point of view. Stupid. Obviously Perez wanted attention from this and apparently so does this girl. I don't buy that this question cost her anything but his vote, which I don't think was the deciding factor in losing the crown because another judge already admitted to voting for her BECAUSE of her answer (he liked her honesty though he disagreed with her), but there was a heated exchange so she has the perfect excuse to harp on.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by stander

Originally posted by jd140

Well, she BELIEVES that she was discriminated by her answer. Her runner up showing could have other causes apart from what her personal opinion states.

I really can't believe I took the time to find this.

www.news.com.au...

When the judge says something like this about who he judged days after the contest it is safe to assume he did not give that person top marks.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   

When the judge says something like this about who he judged days after the contest it is safe to assume he did not give that person top marks.

Yes, but that does not prove that she lost due to the comment. While I'm sure he voted against her for her answer another judge on the news this morning said he voted with her for her answer.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

While many of the young women in this pageants have plenty of education and brains some of them are nothing but full of themselves and brainless.

Even if she doesn't believe in gay marriage she should have stayed neutral coming from a State where the issue is controversial.

A simple " I believe should be for the people of my state to decide would have been intelligent and simple".

What a joke.

She should move to the bible belt states they will make her a "queen"

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join