It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Miss Calif.: Anti-gay marriage answer 'Cost me my crown'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Although I don't agree with her views I am very happy to hear that she stood up for what she believed in. I don't know if it really would have cost here her crown but I guess it would effect her points with Perez through the rest of the night.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Good is all I have to say. This might as well been decades ago when civil rights for blacks was just starting to get popular. A good percent of the population was still racist, but that was wrong and that's where we are today. We still have people holding on to these wrong beliefs and ideas, but as time moves on it will come through. Honestly, promoting her ideas by crowning her would just look bad years from now when anti-gay hatred is on the same level as hatred of blacks and jews.

If she would have said up there that she thinks blacks or jews shouldn't be allowed to marry, imagine would the backlash would be like. It would be deserved though, glad she didn't win.

Originally posted by AllInMyHead

I am glad she lost. Yes, she has every right to speak her beliefs , but she also has to live with the consequences of speaking those beliefs.

Exactly. If someone says in the work place, on TV, or whatever, that they hate gays, jews, blacks or that they love nazis, they need to deal with the consquences of their hate for others.

Although I don't agree with her views I am very happy to hear that she stood up for what she believed in. I don't know if it really would have cost here her crown but I guess it would effect her points with Perez through the rest of the night.

I'm beating a dead horse but I still don't get it. Would people be congradulating her if she said something racist or whatever? Seems like we selectivity choose what hate speech is ok. A Nazi speaking will hardly ever get the respect of people, and people don't give a darn about his freedom of expression. But in this case, people are glad she said what she believed yet if she was a Nazi they wouldn't be glad she said what she believed. It's hypocritical which bugs the heck out of me.

[edit on 21-4-2009 by ghaleon12]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ghaleon12

Exactly. If someone says in the work place, on TV, or whatever, that they hate gays, jews, blacks or that they love nazis, they need to deal with the consquences of their hate for others.

While I disagree with her statement it's wrong to imply that what she said is comparable to saying that she hates gays. There's no need to demonize her.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by rapinbatsisaltherage

I wasn't implying anything, I'm saying though if you show a disregard for others, you deserve what's coming to you. People only need to control themselves, not others.

[edit on 21-4-2009 by ghaleon12]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
agreed it was a loaded question by a man pushing his own agenda on the rest of the viewers thats all that was and it is JUST A BEAUTY PAGENT.

having said that we all know why we watch it. women watch because they want to be like the contestants men watch because the wished their wives or girlfriends were the contestants.

helllllllooooo hot women in binkis???????????? thats why we watch it.

i am superficial we all are and dont say your not cause everyone is

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
While i don't agree with her opinion, i applaud her testicular fortitude. She has as much a right to her opinion as anyone else in this country. Political correctness is verbal fascism. It's always great to see someone state their honest opinion, rather than spew rhetoric.

TheAssociate

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Maybe she didn't lose because of her answer at all. Maybe she lost because she's got a really bad boob job.

[edit on 4-21-2009 by Valhall]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Captain Obvious
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/48dee705f526.jpg[/atsimg]

Oh my godness! THAT PARIS!

She surely is in dire need to munch on Lean Cousine for a couple of month or so.

These OMG bloggers keep calling her a socialight for some reason uknown.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
if she lied and said she likes gay marriage, but it was found out that she lied, all the people on here that criticized her, would still be doing it calling her a liar and not staying true to herself.

its intolerant people like perez hilton which is the reason i will never support gay marriage

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
So much for free speech eh? I saw Perez Hilton talking about this "issue" on youtube, he is the perfect example of the type of gay i dislike. She didnt' say to burn all gay's or hates them, it was only about marriage. You can agree with that or not. He is not tolerant himself to, so why would others be?

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Verd_Vhett
well no one seems to have said anything about the fact that this was a loaded question from a openly gay man, of course he was completly objective in his desision Im sure he did not hold this agianst her.

Well I don't know.....

Lets look at his You Tube right afterwards and you decide

I think he is a dumb "B"

[edit on 21-4-2009 by Xtrozero]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Actually, Miss California, did exactly what she should have done. She gave an honest answer to the question, which asked her opinion of the matter of gay marriage.

Honesty in the public arena is a rare commodity these days and it took some courage to give an answer that she knew would draw the ire of the left.

Good for you, Ms. Prejean!

Integrity beats weasel-words any day of the week.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Dark Soldier

its intolerant people like perez hilton which is the reason i will never support gay marriage

Oh please, that's ridiculous. I could say I don't support religion because of psychos like the extremist Phelps who has protested at gays funerals with signs like "God hates gays" and "Fags go to hell", but that wouldn't be fair would it? Judging an entire group and issue because of the actions of one individual is infantile and just an excuse to justify a shaky conviction.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Saw the clip. I wanted my few minutes of wasted time back. But that won't happen.. my fault for turning on the news.

And besides my wasted time on that ... what was it? A beauty pageant? I also lost just a tiny bit of respect for Humanity in general. Putting a moronic imbecile on stage with good tits and a nice beee-hind and having the people of this country idolize idiocracy..

I don't think her comments cost her the crown. Hopefully the way she formulated her response did. Hopefully we as a people can find some funding to put idiots like that back in 5th grade to expand upon their intelligence.

Why do we support demeaning crap like this anyways?

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
I don't see how they said she lost because of what she said. She was asked her opinion on the subject. How can you deduct points because you don't agree with someones opinion? It seems to me that this was a question without a right or wrong answer.

So, how does one give a wrong personal opinion?

How does one judge when they don't put aside personal beliefs?

This question was LOADED from the start. Even if homosexual friendly answers were given all the way around, the thing must be seen as advertising an issue during a high profile event.

It shows us how much power some have and how they will use anything as a billboard or debate arena.

Last last night I listened to some of an interview by one of the judges and he made it clear that he voted against her becouse of the answer. He was very hostile and felt his censure vote was justified. And thats what he was doing by his own admission, making sure she didn't win. This type of thing is very dangerous and hypocritical.

[edit on 22-4-2009 by Logarock]

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
So now we all now to be Miss America it's a requirement to support alternative marriages. Since it's common knowledge all the girls who don't support it can just not bother entering.

The beauty pageants were already a joke now there's just a bunch of new punch lines.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I applaud her for standing up for her beliefs and have to say that she doesn't even need the crown. She's a dozen times more famous now than the person who did win. All Perez did by making this such an issue was make a type of martyr of this woman.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
in an article today found here
Choosing the Better Crown

there is descent amongst not only the judges, but in the political correctness of it all.

Prejean responded to the specific question with a specific answer: She thought marriage should be between a man and a woman. Even in stating her response, she apologized if the response offended anyone listening. But she stuck by her convictions.

Prejean said later that she knew her response would cost her the win because, in her words, “I’d spoken from my heart, for my beliefs, and for my God.”

There’s no way of knowing for sure, but as pageant organizer Donald Trump said, “It probably did cost her the crown.”

In an interview with the Today Show, another judge Claudia Jordan said, “A few of the judges were really against her. They were really bothered by her answer.” Jordan went on to add, “In pageants as in politics it is probably best to give a neutral answer if you want to win.”

What a sad commentary on our society that speaking from conviction is an offense

To be chastised for boldly expressing belief undeterred by consequence is a trait worthy of a pageant winner, or runner up in this case

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I'm proud of her for speaking her mind and not caring what the supposed fair judges thought. As far as I'm concerned she is and always will be "Ms
California." As for Perez Hilton he's gay whatever but as of his attacks on Prejean calling her a b#tch and wanting to call her a c#nt he's been lowered to pond scum in my book.

[edit on 10-04-08 by Beach Bum]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
not only did this event make the pageant look bad (and...it didnt really look great from the beginning....aside from the participants....)'

but it's also a pretty big setback for the "treat gay's equally" movement

not that im personally against gay rights, but when you have a gay judge react that way over a question that he himself concocted, on national television, and the clearly obvious winner suddenly doesn't win...it puts a bad taste in the common viewers mouth.

The gay community should not be outraged at the answer the woman gave. They should be outraged that this judge even asked it.

You have every right to be gay.
But she has every right to believe it's wrong.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join