It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officers Fear Build-Up Of 'Anti-Police' Bandwagon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   

www.timesonline.co.uk

A worrying anti-police “bandwagon” has built up over the handling of the G20 protests, the leader of rank-and-file officers told The Times last night.

Paul McKeever, chairman of the Police Federation, said that much of the criticism by politicians and media commentators was inaccurate, ill informed and ignorant.

Mr McKeever, a Metropolitan Police sergeant with experience of riot situations, said that officers faced “real provocation” at the protests on April 1. “There seems to be a bandwagon building up around G20 — it’s started to roll in a direction, but nobody knows where it will end up,” he said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.timesonline.co.uk
www.timesonline.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Riot Police Taught To Treat The Public 'As Their Enemy', Former Chief Claims
G20 Riot Police Receive 145 Complaints; Assaults and Excessive Force!
G20 Cop Who Hit Ian Tomlinson 'has a heart attack'

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I think I can see how this will end up...

The officers who perpetrated unprovked attacks will get slaps on the wrist, and the citizens will be more bold in documenting the police brutality!

That is how this is going to end up...everyone with a camera! Then...they will try to make it illegal to take pictures during protests!

Speaking about the backlash of angry citizens over the G20 Riot Police brutality, Mr McKeever, a Metropolitan Police sergeant said "A lot of that is based on people taking ill-informed positions"

Ill informed my donkey! These men need to realize that citizen armed with cameras are not citizens armed with guns!

www.timesonline.co.uk

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
If you don't want to build an ``anti-police bandwagon``, stop protecting the scum in your force, they need to have at the very least the same sentence as a citizen would have, maybe even worse due to the responsabilities they have.

The world is upside down... if you're a politician or a police and you have lives in your hands, you don't get what you deserve if you betray them or abuse your power... but if you're a citizen and don't pay a ticket or smoke a PLANT, you go to jail... when politicians and police KILL and get away with it every time.

Stop acting like a gang of thugs then we can talk about respecting you.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

That is how this is going to end up...everyone with a camera! Then...they will try to make it illegal to take pictures during protests!

They should be fearful.
Fear for their jobs.

If we could trust their integrity without the need for cameras then there wouldn't be a need to carry one,and they wouldn't need to fear someone filming them.

Unfortunately this incident proved how SOME operate..and we don't know which ones would do the same.
...Closing ranks when these offenses are committed.

I say it should be everybody's business to start carrying cameras..
If it's good for them to film us in private why can't we film them to make sure they're doing the job we pay them for!!!

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Updated video on the autopsy report of man killed during G20 summit protests. He was a bystander, attacked on his way home from work, Ian Tomlinson died from internal hemmoraging.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

I think I can see how this will end up...

The officers who perpetrated unprovked attacks will get slaps on the wrist, and the citizens will be more bold in documenting the police brutality!

Speaking about the backlash of angry citizens over the G20 Riot Police brutality, Mr McKeever, a Metropolitan Police sergeant said "A lot of that is based on people taking ill-informed positions"

Ill informed my donkey! These men need to realize that citizen armed with cameras are not citizens armed with guns!

www.timesonline.co.uk

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Interesting timing for your thread as there seems to be a defining line between the thinning of the move towards a totalitarian regime and the original purpose of the police which I personally respect and admire .

Say No to Cops: A Brief Case for Reduction and Elimination

"The law makes it impossible for Americans to defend themselves from police brutality. Law and order conservatives have made it a felony with a long prison sentence to "assault a police officer." Assaulting a police officer means that if a police thug intends to beat your brains out with his nightstick and you disarm your assailant, you have "assaulted a police officer." If you are not shot on the spot by his backup, you will be convicted by a "law and order" jury and sent to prison."

www.lewrockwell.com...

I highly recommend this article:

FPIAC STRATEGIC REPORT3/20/09
The modern Missouri Police Movement
The state of the Police State

www.libertyforest.com...?774ee7e8

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Sign me up.

The police are absolutely worthless.

People can govern them selves.

Get rid of police, get rid of all these pointless laws laws that do nothing but create cultural neurosis and black markets.

Censorship is cancer.

Having police block protesters is censorship.

Maybe if bankers hadn't abused their power there wouldn't be enough people to break into them and vandalize them.

P.S. Why is there so much lag when trying to post on ATS?

[edit on 20-4-2009 by srsly_you_guys]

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

reply to post by AGENT_T

reply to post by antar

Great articles, thanks!
Please read them all...everyone! While I have great respect for law enforcment as a whole and in general, a few bad apples...we know the rest.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   

I thought i already was illegal to film the police?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

--

Maybe the bastards will use this as a fact and deny any justice to the protestors who suffered, "we cannot accept this evidence as it is illegal to film the police".

And my opinion on the matter is, not one single police officer should have felt threatened (it was nothing they were unprepared for, if anything it was an over estimate), yet from what i've heard many untrained or 'green' officers were placed in riot gear (as so many of the Met's resources had been stretched already, many other districts were called in to provide cover).

Combine this, with an over zealous unit commanders (or whatever they're called) forming lines, boxing people in, kettling as it's called, preventing people from receiving medical aid, or allowing parents to leave and collect children. Injuring innocent passers by, attacking people for swearing at them, throwing young women to the floor, trampling all over a peaceful sit down protests and injuring more....

I really could go on....

MBF

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Stop acting like a gang of thugs then we can talk about respecting you.

I don't think this could have been said any better. They have forgotten what their purpose is, that is to protect and to serve. All they have become is a bunch of thugs that throw their weight around and give people tickets. They are an income generating force. What do thugs do? Isn't it intimidate people and take their money?

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by MBF
They are an income generating force. What do thugs do? Isn't it intimidate people and take their money?

Well said.
I was watching some of the ipcc reporting from the house of commons today and another snippet of news came by about the lowering of speed limits..

FIRST they talk about the 'reasons'. = saving lives ..(OK fair enough)..

Then they talk about the enforcement of these new limits..Now let's see.. How are those limits going to be enforced in a way to 'Save lives'???

Yep you got it in one .. MORE SPEED CAMERAS..

So how do they save lives?

Are they going to train these cameras in CPR?
Are they going to get these cameras to jump out in the road to pull children from the paths of oncoming vehicles?

NO?

Are they going to make money from someone who dares to drive a little faster in isolated country roads?

Sad,sad ineffective policies by sad,greedy politicians yet again.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   

The actions of some police officers at the G20 protest were "unacceptable", the incoming Chief Inspector of Constabulary has said.

Denis O'Connor, who is investigating police tactics, said it was also "utterly unacceptable" for officers to hide their badges from the public.

His points were echoed by Nick Hardwick, head of the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC).

The two men were giving evidence to the Commons Home Affairs committee.

It has been suggested that some police officers did not have their numbers displayed at the G20 protest because they were worried about false accusations being made against them and being filmed or photographed

One of the consequences of this exposure through citizen journalism is that we will all see much more clearly what it is - and sometimes it looks ugly - what we expect the police to do," he told MPs.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Parts of this news report seem to suggest that not a lot is going to be done although other parts seem to cut to the bone. I find it funny how they refer to the images used in the media.. maybe they do not take the multitude of youtube videos or forum posts/pictures seriously enough. The newspapers and TV news reports are allotted only a certain amount of time/space in order to say what they want to say..whereas the internet is open for each person to check things out for as long as they like. Let's hope that evidence posted on the internet can be made available to the investigators.. Or don't they have the internet there?

And why are the police 'worried' about being photographed if it is currently illegal to do so? Maybe it's because of the use of these two words 'citizen journalist' that can get anyone off the hook from this new law.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
People are not stupid. They are not jumping on an anti police bandwagon for no good reason. They are watching the youtube clips of innocent protesters being assaulted by robocops. They can see for themselves what really went on and how eager a lot of officers were to "lay some smack down". They should fear the backlash. You reap what you sow.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
As we move closer to a totalitarian regime world wide, individuals will become more fear based in their thinking and apply for these types of jobs to secure their own hides, when you become an Officer for fear based reasons you are not there for the safety of the civilian population.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

That was supposed to be what psychological examswhere used for before you ever where allowed to put on the badge. Now its been flipped, the more psycho you are the less your analyzed. The more they can use you to intimidate the populace. The more fear they can generate and use to pass more laws that take away your liberty!
Zindo

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
If they want public opinion to change, they have to prosecute every police person that is a wrong doer. Oh sorry that would mean 99% of them behind bars in prison, for murdering anyone they want.

This is why they want to make it illegal for the public to film them, when they are on there murderous campaign, destroying any lifes they want.

Police = serial killers should be put on posters all over the world, and i am just glad the people where passive at the g20, while the police commited there murder.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   

As well they should. It's time for them to ditch the god-complex, humble themselves and realize they are here to serve us, not to harass, intimidate, beat, and treat us like lower forms of life.

TheAssociate

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I think that is a valid concern.

I see it here on a number of threads where people are quick to condemn the actions of a few police officers and spread the blame to all officers.

I think that being a police office is a tough job.

If people are unhappy about the police, I'd like to see specific steps that the officers should take to make the police force better yet still protect the civilians in my country.

I don't want to see attacks on the police in general but rather suggestions about how to approach policing in a better way if that's possible.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MBF

You might just want to read what the police actualy have as a mandate to do. Its to protect the law and to protect those that make the law. NOT to "Protect and Serve" the populace, !

www.firearmsandliberty.com...

Zindo
Edit: This is in the US but its based on the old laws of the mandate of coppers in the UK!

[edit on 4/21/2009 by ZindoDoone]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join