It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK: it is illegal to photograph the police

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Calling the police to account

From today, it is illegal to photograph the police, despite the fact that they use increasingly aggressive techniques to record us

On the day that it becomes illegal to take pictures of police engaged in counter-terrorist operations – in practice a ban on taking pictures of the police – it is worth noting events in Brighton recently where police set up outside a cafe and photographed people attending a meeting about the environment. According to the Brighton Argus, members of the Cowley Club, which was hosting a meeting of Earth First, "were confronted with four uniformed officers outside the Somerfield store, opposite the venue, snapping visitors using a paparazzi-style lens". One of the club members, David Biset, said the police were behaving in a deliberately "intimidating manner". He said:

source: www.guardian.co.uk...

------------------------------------------------------------

So I guess in the U.K. you can't take pictures of cops. This concerns me for a few reasons. If someone witnessed the police doing something wrong, they'd feel more reluctant to document. Say goodbye to police brutality videos on the internet, perhaps there's a loophole with posting such videos but perhaps not.

Some people won't care though, and if they see the cops doing something wrong, they'll take some camera phone pictures and won't give a damn.

This is another step to deter people from getting inside information out about the police.

I don't think anyone will really be deterred, but it's just..hmm..damn unfortunate?

I'd give more input but this environment is most, distractingly loud to think.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
This is seriously the stupidest thing I have ever heard of and it really annoys me and the reason for banning this is just so blatantly obvious.

For those who don’t see the obvious it’s because of the Heavy handed nature of the police and there has been far too many cases of police brutality. So what will solve that problem Hmm let’s stop people proving that the police have been overly forceful.

God I hate this country sooooo much now people wonder why im Anti - Government aswell.

S & F

[edit on 21/2/2009 by Anti - Government]

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
haha, good luck to you man.

Enjoy your stay in the nazi UK.

I wouldn't say the province of Ontario in Canada is a nazi regime but the government here is more like someones.. overly concerned sheltering mother. Every stupid little thing is illegal (for our protection).

But as far as i know, I can still take pictures of the cops. Hell I can recall a few stories of cops out of control with people I know.

But with laws like this, cops could be beating people down on the street and arresting people trying to document it, so the truth doesn't get out.

But if a cop is busy doing something of the sort, they might be too occupied to notice a dude with a camera phone. That's why I'd be more concerned about laws to post photos on the internet etc.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
_javascript:icon('
') Your government has it wrong. They are now illegal. They have disenfranchised themselves through a variety of ways. UK has become one of the more repressive governments in the world.

The American concept of Inalienable Rights is one of the most important concepts that has been repudiated by the Bush Government on this side of the Pond and the UK also. Rights that are Inalienable cannot be taken away, only trampled on.

On the other hand photographing Police for the purpose of harming them or otherwise circumventing the law is a crime. Photographing the police breaking the law can never be a crime.
_javascript:icon('
')_javascript:icon('
')_javascript:icon('
')

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by CavemanDD

But with laws like this, cops could be beating people down on the street and arresting people trying to document it, so the truth doesn't get out

Ye mate i 100% guarantee that will happen i mean whats to stop them now seriously.

and trust me mate this aint gonna stop me from going out with camera.

if anything i feel like going out tomorrow with my videocamera

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Also what is goig to happen to such popular police programs like road wars or street wars.

I assume they will be stopped

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
That's idiotic. It's sad to see a country of the Allied forces slowly becoming a dictatorship. There's nothing wrong with taking photographs of the police, they don't do anything unless they get violent for no reason.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Does this law state, you can only photograph them with there permission?
Or that you just cant photograph them ever?
Does someone have a copy of the actual law?
So now a cop can murder someone in broad daylight.
Like they did to the guy on the underground, shot him in the head close range.
And if you take video or photo's of it you go to jail.
And not only that, it cant be used as evidence against the murdering cop because, it was obtained illegally.
So this is a license to do whatever they like, they are now completely above the law.
To me for them to introduce this now, means they are expecting another one of these false flag op's like the underground and bus bombings.
And this time they don't want people photographing any of it.
The person/politician who instigated this law, needs to be investigated.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   

And not only that, it cant be used as evidence against the murdering cop because, it was obtained illegally.

That's the key thing that stood out to me. Taking picture's of cops, no matter what it portrays, cannot legally be used against them if obtained by illegal means.

This just spawns oppression, it makes the police more immune, and above the law.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anti - Government
Also what is goig to happen to such popular police programs like road wars or street wars.

I assume they will be stopped

We can only hope

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
It is an act not law , please differentiate between the two .

It will not work , the English will eventually wake up but it is too early yet .

Besides the new technology will make the cameras " wearable " items and as such we will all have " pinhole" cameras on our clothing .

my 2 pence

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
You in the UK might want to take all the cameras down,,

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Thousands of policemen in the UK are filmed every day on CCTV

The new law simply means that if you take photographs which can be shown in a court of law were intended to aid terrorist actvities, you may be prosecuted.

The worry is that some young policemen may misunderstand/misinterpret the law and apply it incorrectly. I'd be surprised if that didn't happen. But if you photo a policeman beating someone you are perfectly within the law to do so, whatever the policeman may try and claim.

I'd take some photos of local policeman if I could - but it's months since I last saw one ......

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by 23432

It is an act not law , please differentiate between the two .

They're the same thing. An Act of Parliament is a statute, applying to the entire UK and/or the specified territories/regions.

This specific law does not make photographing police illegal, it doesn’t actually mention photography at all. What is says is that it is illegal to or try to illicit information from a police officer or a member of Her Majesty’s Armed Forces that would be useful to a terrorist. However it also says that it is a defence to have a reasonable excuse. So you can still film/photograph a police officer beating someone up in the street, or if you’re a journalist, tourist or whatever.

The government is enacting plenty of draconian laws but this is just sensationalist journalism imo.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
So, hypothetical situation;

I am out in London with my girlfriend, and we get to Westminster Bridge. She wants me to take a picture of her with the Palace of Westminster in the background, as many tourists do thousands of times a year.
However, if there is a police officer anywhere in the background, even if he is on the Members' terrace of the House of Commons, am I liable to arrest and interrogation by the Anti-Terrorist Squad?
This sounds like the opening salvo of a police state, George Orwell was dead right!

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Since the American government adopts many of the English policies/laws over time, just how long will the US begin such similar practice?

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by royspeed
So, hypothetical situation;

I am out in London with my girlfriend, and we get to Westminster Bridge. She wants me to take a picture of her with the Palace of Westminster in the background, as many tourists do thousands of times a year.
However, if there is a police officer anywhere in the background, even if he is on the Members' terrace of the House of Commons, am I liable to arrest and interrogation by the Anti-Terrorist Squad?

No. As I said the law provides for reasonable excuse as a defence. So even if an officer were to claim that you had broken this law (unlikely), you have a water tight defence.

Edit - Btw, the Act being talked about is the Counter Terrorism Act 2008. Here's the act and explanatory notes.

www.opsi.gov.uk...

[edit on 21-2-2009 by Mike_A]

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mike_A

They're the same thing.
An Act of Parliament is a statute, applying to the entire UK and/or the specified territories/regions.

Hello Mike

I am afraid Law and Act are not really the same thing at all.

Law applies to all Human Beings whereus Acts and Statues DO NOT apply to Human Beings but it only applies to " Person " .

It's all about the status of the individual and contract .

peace

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by 23432

Where does it say this?

Edit - I don't mean where on the internet btw, I mean what law, court rulings etc says this.

[edit on 21-2-2009 by Mike_A]

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I thought this article was like an addition to that act. Unless I read that long. It seems to imply an anti-terrorism thing like this went through last year but now they're taking it a step further.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join