It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Would Grant President Unprecedented Cyber-security Powers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Bill Would Grant President Unprecedented Cyber-security Powers

The Cybersecurity Act of 2009 introduced in the Senate would allow the president to shut down private Internet networks. The legislation also calls for the government to have the authority to demand security data from private networks without regard to any provision of law, regulation, rule or policy restricting such access.

The headlines were all about creating a national cyber-security czar reporting directly to the president, but the Cybersecurity Act of 2009 introduced April 1 in the U.S. Senate would also give the president unprecedented authority over private-sector Internet services, applications and software.

According to the bill's language, the president would have broad authority to designate various private networks as a "critical infrastructure system or network" and, with no other review, "may declare a cyber-security emergency and order the limitation or shutdown of Internet traffic to and from" the designated the private-sector system or network.

Ok, so here is where I go into my own take on this issue,

But I don't have one,

just posting for posterity.
digg.com...

Good luck

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Good Post...
We can all still try, write letters etc...
But I think this is going to be like The Patriot Act...
Nothing we can do about it...though we have to speak the truth!

Starred & Flagged!

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Already a thread on this as well as some interesting "coincidences" that line up with the proposal of the bill.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
Good Post...
We can all still try, write letters etc...
But I think this is going to be like The Patriot Act...
Nothing we can do about it...though we have to speak the truth!

Starred & Flagged!

I wish I could do more,

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
The time is almost here, not long now......those that don't understand this message are batteries, our enemies and at the same time who we are trying to save......

S&F!

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by cautiouslypessimistic
Already a thread on this as well as some interesting "coincidences" that line up with the proposal of the bill.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanks cautiously.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by kingdogol

our enemies and at the same time who we are trying to save

Ironic, isn't it?

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

our enemies and at the same time who we are trying to save

Ironic, isn't it?

Yes it is, just wish there was a video I could show them, like thst first video Chuck watched (TV show) to bring these people up to speed. It'd be so easy to wake the millions by just funding it on all the mainstream networks as an advertisment. If only it were that easy....

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   

People believe what they want to believe, I am not sure what it will take to wake people up.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
No one person should have any kind of fundamental control over the communication networks. Only a nation of morons would abide by such a haribrained scheme and a bunch of dimwits would vote it into existence.

Total fascist slaughter coming, millions about to be snuffed, this should be a serious warning to everyone that cherishes freedom and free speech.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by bubbabuddha

Interesting being that the internet was what Obama used to help get him elected.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
To me this topic is huge, I am surprised there isn't more interest in it on a forum that is all about exposing shady government,

This would be a prime target of the web police.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
And all this coming from a President who said he would welcome disagreement. Ha! Ha!

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   

To me this topic is huge, I am surprised there isn't more interest in it on a forum that is all about exposing shady government

Like I've learnt my friend, there are those in the know, us,
those that think they're in the know, the majority of members here,
those that deny everything and blieve their opinion is right no matter what evidence you lay in front of them.

So no matter how much you try, you have to realise the majority of people are only aware of one or a few topics and hence just keep reading them over and over and fail to finish the book, seeing that everything is connected. So by all means keep trying to warn and wake people, but don't be disappointe when they don't wake.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   

So no matter how much you try, you have to realise the majority of people are only aware of one or a few topics and hence just keep reading them over and over and fail to finish the book, seeing that everything is connected. So by all means keep trying to warn and wake people, but don't be disappointe when they don't wake.

I try and hit every new topic everyday, plus keep up on current news from all over the world, I try to keep informed.

I think I am petty rational, lol,

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by SphinxMontreal
And all this coming from a President who said he would welcome disagreement. Ha! Ha!

and transparency

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Internet is the last frontier for freedom of expression (freedom of mind as far as i'm concerned). Nobody owns the internet, nobody should have that much power over it.
If this bill in passed thru the senate, it could be the beginnning of the end for many anti-goverment sites, like for example infowars.com or others similar.
It's good to talk about this, but we need to take the next step and do something about it. Any ideas anyone?

[edit on 4-4-2009 by teklordz]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by teklordz
Internet is the last frontier for freedom of expression (freedom of mind as far as i'm concerned). Nobody owns the internet, nobody should have that much power over it.
If this bill in passed thru the senate, it could be the beginnning of the end for many anti-goverment sites, like for example infowars.com or others similar.
It's good to talk about this, but we need to take the next step and do something about it. Any ideas anyone?

Not I, dust off your CB's?

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Not I, dust off your CB's?

Sorry, English is not my main language, could you translate that for me please?

Edit: Ok, i just got the answer... CB's are radios used by truckers... Ok, yeah, dust them off ...

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

We could even start to use telepathy. If only my ISP could offer that service!

<<   2 >>

join