It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Streaking lights, explosions reported all along coast

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   

hamptonroads.com...

Were they meteors? A comet? UFOs?
People from Maryland to Hampton Roads heard loud explosions and saw brilliant, streaking lights in the sky Sunday night.
There was no immediate explanation, the National Weather Service office in Wakefield said. The Virginia Beach 911 center had numerous calls waiting just before 10 p.m., a supervisor said.
The Weather Service said reports were made from Dorchester County, Md., to the Virginia/North Carolina border. People said they saw a streak in the sky and heard an explosion.
“It was orange, like a fireball,” said Steve Wagner, who lives in the Great Bridge area of Chesapeake and said what he saw was too close to be a shooting star.

Ok, so let me get this straight...we (the US) have tons of satellites and cameras that track all the space debris circling the Earth plus hundreds of telescopes and NO ONE noticed these "meteors" coming at the planet? So far NO ONE has been on TV or in the news with "holes" in their backyard or field? These "meteors" were SO big that they lit of the entire sky but were SO small that they burned up before hitting the ground? Something smells fishy!! Do I think they would cover something up - ABSOLUTELY! If nothing else, they’re covering up that something got past them; that their early warning systems aren’t as good as they thought.

[edit: added source link and Required EX tags]
Mod Edit: No Quote/Plagiarism – Please Review This Link.
Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 30-3-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Sounds like a meteor to me. Scientist can't know about every single little meteor coming into the atmosphere, and yes, it could have burned up before hitting the ground, or just broke off into tiny pieces.

This sounds a LOT like the meteor case in Canada few months ago, which was videotaped by a few people, and it not only lit up the ENTIRE sky, but when they finally found the meteor on the ground, it was actually pretty small. So are you saying this was a crashed space vehicle?

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
no too long ago there was a satellite collision & space junk
also caused the shuttle to move the ISS to a different orbit...

i'd think that what was seen was some space junk / debris reentering the atmosphere.

the objects which burned brightly...objects that exploded...
but no ground impacts found yet, sounds like satellite components or fuel tanks, etc... having mass yet able to burn up or explode in the air..

at least to my deductions, a large part or component of the Russian or the Iridium satellite broke up in the fringes of space-atmosphere, then burnt up(streaked) & then exploded in the 5-8 mile high atmosphere

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
As I understand it the NORAD radar net is so advanced it LITERALLY can track every BIRD in the SKY!!
Something like this would trip an automatic red flag on their systems.
Maybe "they" are pushing more meteors into crashing into earth on purpose, to beef up statistics, as to scare the bejeezus out of the sheeple later.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
While it is indeed possible to track and therefore predict the location of small Earth orbiting bodies, (satellites, space junk, etc.) NORAD cannot predict meteor events such as this (assuming it was a meteor). Meteors aren't in orbit, they are randomly distributed in deep space (some in known clouds) and can collide with our atmosphere at any time, anywhere. Some of these collisions create immense amount of light, so the whole sky may be become like day for a few seconds. However, very few indeed of these falling bodies actually make it to the ground as meteorites. There is no guarantee that a vast amount of light and a sonic boom will result in landfall. Almost all such events result in the total anihilation of the meteor body several miles up.

WG3

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Hey, I'm here in North Carolina and was out in the backyard Sunday evening at around 9:30. We've had several days of drizzling and sometimes pouring rain and general overcast. However, yesterday and last night the skies cleared for the first time in a week, and I was out enjoying the clear and starry sky with the crescent moon low in the west.

Then I caught a burst of green all across the sky — I was looking west, so I'm guessing that one of those greenish fireballs may have flashed behind me, in the east, and I missed it. Damn!

Have read the reports from witnesses, which are all pretty consistent in describing large meteoroids: Started out as bluish-white streaks; expanded and flashed green as they descended; and, most interestingly, bore fiery tails as they reached very low altitude. They would have had to be low for witnesses to hear the sonic booms.

There has to be a security cam that captured these things (I hope).

It was 2 years ago, I think, in January of 2007, when North Carolina enjoyed its last sky show with bluish-green lights low in the sky. As I recall, that incident was later identified as a bolide by astronomers who admittedly never witnessed the event. Funny thing about the 2007 event was that some guy here in North Carolina had enough time to go inside and grab a camera and snap a picture of one of the things — which does not sound to me like a fast-moving meteoroid.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 3/30/2009 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity
Then I caught a burst of green all across the sky — I was looking west, so I'm guessing that one of those greenish fireballs may have flashed behind me, in the east, and I missed it. Damn!

Have read the reports from witnesses, which are all pretty consistent in describing large meteoroids: Started out as bluish-white streaks; expanded and flashed green as they descended; and, most interestingly, bore fiery tails as they reached very low altitude. They would have had to be low for witnesses to hear the sonic booms.

Here's a big 'un that passed overSaudi Arabia recently.

Yours sounds very similar to this one.

WG3

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
So, THREE states all saw an illusion? Now, either they did Bluebeam and admitted it, or something is going on because these UFO sightings are becoming more and more common.

If it was space junk, it wouldn't move in the pattern described, and it wouldn't just appear to be a burning ball of fire that is so close to the surface. If it was close to the surface, it would crash and do damage. They even said things in the sky just look close to you....what about airplanes, I never thought they were close to me.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Per my post in the other thread...I find it hard to believe that this happened without notice, then, the following day, people knew exactly what it was (Russian Booster), and actually expected that it would happen. Wouldn't they have wanted people to know, lessen panic and keep the 911 lines free for real emergencies?

Something just doesn't seem right here.

I live in Northern Virginia and saw a large yellow/orange/gold "ball" in the sky somewhere in the 830-930pm time frame. I looked once, saw it, did a "what the hell?" double take and it was gone. I thought nothing of it until seeing this story yesterday morning.

I would think that some random, flaming piece of mystery space "junk" would warrant more headlines locally, and warrant more of a investigation. This seems to be swept under the rug at this point.

Below is a link to a "point-counter-point" type of story...

www.examiner.com...

PS - I don't necessarily believe that this was a UFO, or F-22's being shot down by a UFO...but I think its' something that needs investigating and I do not believe the "official" story as of yet.

[edit on 31-3-2009 by DOcean]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Well, anytime you're talking about Russian space debris, the Russians aren't exactly forthcoming about the actual re-entry trajectory. For instance, if the Russians think their space junk is coming down over Canada, they will publicly announce that it's coming down in the Indian Ocean. The objective being to mislead Westerners from searching for the debris. Unfortunately, it's this sort of deception that makes for many spectacular and unexplainable UFO sightings. The Russian space agency just shrugs their shoulders, It's not one of ours, comrade.

There was some speculation by Oberg that the Kecksburg UFO Incident was just such a piece of Russian debris that the U.S. military actually retrieved from the woods of Pennsylvania in 1965, mainly because declassified records showed there was a failed Russian satellite that fell back to Earth on the exact same day as the Kecksburg sighting. Oberg retracted his explanation later for reasons I don't completely understand. Maybe we could get him in here to comment.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 3/31/2009 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
More coming out that it wasn't "Space Junk". This time, from the USAF...

www.wtopnews.com...

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Witnesses describe the flashes in the sky as being colored with yellows and oranges. While fireballs usually throw sparks that appear green followed by trains of blue and red. The loud explosion accompanying the balls of fire in the sky also could be explained if the object was a rocket tank with residual amounts of booster fuel.

See, now, I didn't read that anyone saw yellow and orange flashes — the reports that I read talked about the blue and green range, which sounded meteoritic to me. The yellow and orange flashes lead me to think it was an atypical meteor or synthesized materials burning up in the atmosphere. If the USAF is refuting the "manmade debris" theory, I wonder why didn't they opine on what they thought it was?

— Doc Velocity

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I read about that earlier today and found myself getting excited. I've been waiting for some RECENT news about sightings, or "occurences" that have been seen or heard my many people-and make the news! I want more!!!

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
removed

[edit on 31-3-2009 by dkman222]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I think he means our government would say this is coming down and keep the 911 lines open. Looks too fishy

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by DOcean

Ocean....there is another thread about this, started secondly....but still...

If you carefully read the USAF report, and look down to paragraph 5, the one starting with the word 'Chester'....you see that it DOES say it is a man-made object....namely, as already reported in the Washington Post on 31 March, 2009....it is part of a Russian Soyeuz booster stage fromt he vehicle that delivered some Cosmonauts to the ISS just after the Discovery departed.

As I pointed out before, this booster stage was destined to re-enter and burn up farther out over the Atlantic, so as not to endanger any inhabited landmasses, nor any shipping lanes.

Ground-guidance was lost due to equipment failure (the Post story said a battery failure) so that the trajectory for re-entry could not be controlled precisely.

Just lucky it didn't hit anywhere on solid ground/inhabited areas.....whew!

Noises were (according to the Post) due to latent fuel exploding, and the remnants that were big enough to survive the ablative effects of re-entry exceeding the speed of sound, and causing Sonic Booms.

Anyone who has witnessed a Shuttle landing will know about the Sonic Booms...

But, since most space debris falls well far away from shore, no one is around to hear them....usually.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Wacker -

If you'll look at the WTOP article that I posted and put it into context with other articles out there, the USAF is saying that it is not "man made" or "space junk". Geoff Chester, of the US Naval Observatory, a seperate entity, believes it was the booster from the Russian rocket...the USAF does not.

I would be tempted to believe the USAF, who is monitoring "known" space junk (and this was apparently known), over Geoff Chester of the Observatory, who apparently did not witness this event in any way shape or form, and whose story came out nearly 24 hours after the fact, claiming that he was expecting this.

Also, frequenting the Hampton Roads/Norfolk/VA Beach area I am familiar with military aircraft and the sounds the can create. I would imagine the folks living there, that were witness to this event are familiar as well, and would not blow up the 911 lines for something they would be familiar with. Though I have not heard a boom from an aircraft directly overhead, i have heard the thunder-like rumble from a distance. Though I haven't seen an exact trajectory of this "booster", I have trouble believeing that a sonic boom produced this sort of confusion unless this object travelled only a few hundred feet over these folks houses.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
The general consensus seems to be that the events of Sunday last were caused by a meteritic bolide, of which there have been a rash in recent months. This and some eye witness accounts from SpaceW eather.com

Quote:
News reports that a Russian rocket fell over the US mid-Atlantic coast on Sunday evening, March 29th, are probably incorrect. A spent Russian rocket booster did reenter Earth's atmosphere on March 29th, but apparently not over the USA. According to data published by US Strategic Command, the reentry occurred near Taiwan (24° N, 125° E) at 11:57 p.m. EDT. So what were those lights in the sky over Maryland and Virginia two hours earlier? Eyewitness accounts of the Atlantic Coast fireball are consistent with a meteoritic bolide--a random asteroid hitting Earth's atmosphere and exploding in flight.

WG3

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
What you are seeing here is consistent with what we have been worried about, that the North American Plate Craton is uplifting and that we are starting to see deformation and possibly the initial onset of extreme amounts of energy being released. The lights, loud booms and explosions are all part and parcel of this. I doubt that this was a meteor, like everyone said, it would have been easily tracked. Norad really has to know what is incoming at any time. Just saying, with what weve seen this year geophysically, we think that this is what is happening. :

new topics

top topics

join