It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Junk Threatens Space Station!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
They were just talking again. Saying they were ready to depart. Is 'depart' just astronaut lingo for moving to the airlock, because, literally taken, it sounds like they're detaching from the ISS ... ???

EDIT:

On a side note, Discovery was supposed to launch last night to take equipment to the ISS. It was canceled for a 'gas leak'

Any possibility the guys at NASA had fore knowledge of this and postponed Discovery for that reason?

[edit on 12-3-2009 by PH43DRUS]

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by cropmuncher

Into the Soyuz

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I think what I heard at first is that they will have about a 10 minute window to know if the object will collide. That isn't much time.

I don't know when the approach will occur.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
5 minutes with empahasis on 5 minutes.

where is the approach from

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
Scary stuff, what if the ISS goes down...

It'll set space exploration back decades!

I think you mean space exploitation.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
All is well. You can hear the relief in their voices.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Object has passed by
understand clear but what was the object....

you will never guess what.. basically airduct connected to the life node

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Looks like the debris missed...

Is being covered on Sky news as of now..

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Yeaa, it missed. Sound like it was pretty close. But now I'm wondering, if the junk is in orbit, won't it come just as close next time around?

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Glad alls well.

So is that what you do all day Phage, just listen to nasa live in the background?

while on ats of course.....or is it that its really going on in your background

[edit on 12/3/09 by cropmuncher]

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Only with my morning coffee.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Sounds like it was a close call.

Was a bit tense for a while there.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Guys... I don't think they're evacuating because of space junk, they're evacuating because our sun is acting up, the magnetosphere is out of whack right now.

link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
No mention of this on the 24hr news channels! Is this just everyday precautionary protocol or is this an out of the ordinary event?

IRM
It was reported on a few mins ago by cnn. I am sure all will be fine. We have so much technology am sure they are prepared for any incident.

link   
Fox News beamed direct pictures. Cool!

IRM

link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

It will be interesting to learn how close it was. But in any case, damn those guys are good!

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Yeah. But you heard it first right here on ATS!

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   

The 21st Space Wing[1] is a unit of the Air Force Space Command based at Peterson Air Force Base[2], Colorado. The unit is tasked with the operation of early missile warning and space object detection equipment around the world in support of NORAD[3] and USSTRATCOM[4] through a network of command and control units and ground based sensors operated by geographically separated units around the world.
The Wing’s services include more than 9,000 government and contractor personnel detect, track and catalog more than 14,000 catalogued man-made objects in space, from those in near-Earth orbit to objects up to 22,300 miles above the earth's surface and explores counterspace warfighting technologies in the field.

en.wikipedia.org...

dont you think they would have seen this comming way way in advance??, this is pretty crazy, i bet it would have been an intense situation.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Does anyone know how to record the feed off Nasa TV? I've tried allsorts of different capture software but never been able to record the feed.

The reason I ask. Last year I caught a UFO in the background on a mission and started recording it through realplayer. When I stopped the recording to review it all I had was the audio and the file was a .ivr which I couldn't convert or edit. The audio has capcom asking the astronauts what the object is behind them, then they tell the astronaut not to bother.

An 1hr or so after that I managed to grab a few screenshots of a different object in the background.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by UKWO1Phot
Is being covered on Sky news as of now..

It was MY email!! That got them looking at it

The presenter said this is unverified right now A viewer just emailed us!! (emphases on 'A') That viewer was me!!! Right then she corrected her self and said it was been reported by NASA and reuters!

edit: only got an automated thankyou email though... No finders fee

[edit on 12/3/2009 by Now_Then]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join