It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Media Portal IS NOT YouTube or Break.com

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by GEORGETHEGREEK

I agree. sometimes though, it just annoys the hell out of me.

For example, i recently commented on a youtube video today, about the oscars, i presented my opinion, politely disagree with the OP. She sent me a letter, saying thank you for being nice, even though i disagreed with her. She had been getting attacked for her opinion too. Then, i check my youtube profile a couple hours later, and someone openly mocked my opinion, and basically told me how i have no taste in movies.

That sort of thing grinds my gears.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
This may not be the best thread to mention this idea in but I feel the time may be coming for the new board to have a way to sort videos by topics and categories much in the way of both the ATS and BTS boards are. I admit that I have not spent much time there to give the best suggestion since most media seems to reside in personal areas that can be either marked public or private.

There may be a way to search by how the author tags a video such as humor, 9/11 research, v-log, opinion, general, etc...

More to the topic. The unfortunate side effect of being public is that it can bring a level of fame. Fame means that you will have fans and detractors. I think that a number of people can accept both sides of the equation when it pertains to their mind or talents in organization and presenting material. Otherwise we would find ourselves unsure and insecure in the writing of posts that we have done so long.

The ability to put an actually face to the person behind the keyboard has brought out problems that were not considered for some. Other would never have the courage to actually face their peers in this format.

Guys, I will perfectly blunt and honest about it. I have not had a relationship in a long, long time. But you do not see me harassing and haranguing anyone. If the ladies on here were looking for a date I am sure that would use other sources. Like their own live social circles or perhaps some professional dating site.

They present their material here to share thoughts and ideas on a variety of subjects. Stick to critiquing the material or how to improve presentation of said material by lighting, editing pauses, sound quality, ADR, etc...

Saying that a lady is "hot" or "to have your babies" is offensive on two levels. The obvious "pig" nature of it and that you ignored their idea that was presented.

If you are looking for a cam-girl...there are plenty of other sites to visit. I do not think that even if such a video was created it would last for very long on the media site.

And for the ladies out there...I know you watch the videos and have off-topic thoughts on them as well so let's not be catty.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by dbates

But what if after greeting her kindly she informs you that the bank has frozen all accounts and is awaiting federal assistance so you cannot withdraw any of your money at this time?

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahabstar
This may not be the best thread to mention this idea in but I feel the time may be coming for the new board to have a way to sort videos by topics and categories much in the way of both the ATS and BTS boards are.

Click on the link (on the media site) that says Media List. The videos and media are listed by topic on that page.

reply to post by Walkswithfish

Then you politely say "Where in God's Earth is my money?"

[edit on 24-2-2009 by dbates]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by spitefulgod

Unless you actually know someone personally off-line, then they are for all intents and purposes a stranger to you, and as such you should afford them courtesy and respect.

Its not about how people might "take things" - its about being socially responsible.

If you are wondering how someone is going to take what you say, then its probably not a good idea to say it to them until you have got to know them a hell of a lot better, is it?

I can't believe that intelligent people on a forum like ATS need to have such stuff pointed out to them.

This is basic social etiquette.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
It is nice to see an attempt on this forum that leads it toward a more mature direction. There is a lot of crazy stuff out there and naturally we question it all but by being demeaning we only allow ourselves to come to the level of those that demean us and potentially stub others personal growth.

Nice to see that we will all just have to grow up and treat each other with the respect we all deserve.

[edit on 24-2-2009 by N3krostatic]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by stander
Quite an ingenious way to save some disc space.

Disc space is not an issue. The same functionality exists in member profile comments here on the main site.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I've not really used the media portal yet (only to upload avatar & background) but I'm glad to see ATS are taking a stand against this kind of behaviour. I heard that lots of comments directed towards female members were/are along the lines of, "Blabla, you're cute" - even if somewhat jokingly made it shouldn't be on there, I can't imagine many people will be complaining about the stricter moderating.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by spitefulgod
So what actually accounts as juvenile

If you need to ask, then perhaps you either don't really know, or don't really care to be civil.

Anyone who has had a reasonable conversation with another human being is fully aware of where the "line" is, and when it's been crossed.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by N3krostatic
It is nice to see an attempt on this forum that leads it toward a more mature direction. There is a lot of crazy stuff out there and naturally we question it all but by being demeaning we only allow ourselves to come to the level of those that demean us and potentially stub others personal growth.

This is exactly why I stayed at ATS and will contunue to stay here. It is different and Ive been on boards where ad hom style postings is the norm and expected. As if personal attacks and bombastic activity means you win :shk:

Its pretty clear if its here on ATS then the same rules of conduct and decorum apply no matter. And its dissapointing that this thread even exists but its always a big
to see that the overwhelming majority of us 99% (Yes we staff are members first and foremost) have no desire for that type of discource.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Get over yourself, seeing as we don't know what was said to have these people banned, I was merely enquiring. You yourself as a moderator must know that being on a debating forum, things get said that can be taken either way. It's a fine line but I guess it's down to who you offend, if it has been stated earlier that a complaint was made then maybe the person who made the comment should have been given the opportunity to apologies rather than being ostracised.

Along the line some content is going to provoke others, what if I was to post the Mohammed cartoons on a thread or a video on the dangers of Christian extermists, these are bound to get negative comments, should the commentators be banned if they decide to tell me to go screw myself?

And if as Skeptic Overlord states this is not youtube why all the Vlogs on how to cook the perfect pancakes, not that I care it's his website and he makes the rules I'd just like to know what was said on these comments and not to be given hassle by his suckups.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   

I'd just like to know what was said on these comments and not to be given hassle by his suckups.

Personal insults directed at the author of the Vlog.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   

And if as Skeptic Overlord states this is not youtube why all the Vlogs on how to cook the perfect pancakes, ....

I would guess for the same reason we have podcasts, BTS humor, chit-chat, ATS even holds creative writing and short stories. All of these things are for creative outlet.

Even I have been known to tell a story or two in a post if I feel it relates to the topic at hand.

On a side note there is a bread recipe on the survival forums that is not only factually accurate it is funny at the same time. I'd say to check it out, but you might not care to read it.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
i checked a few out, the main media was good,

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Personal insults directed at the author of the Vlog.

I presume this can be classed as a bullying of sorts and I stand with you on this and apologies for my short fuse, but I can see you're gonna have to define these rules a little. An example I can think of is if I decide to post an image of animal cruelty for a topic image and someone was to comment "Way to go, were can I sign up!" I would find that offensive but it's someones opinion. Are you going to restrict these rules to just personal media which contain a member?

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Get over yourself, seeing as we don't know what was said to have these people banned, I was merely enquiring.

And I was only answering. I don't need to get over myself.

Didn't you author "Social Curiosity or... nerd style sexual depravity" about the media portal?

Did you ever consider the effect that might have had on the female members of the ATS community who potentially could have felt completely devalued by what you wrote there, and the subsequent comments yourpost drew? Obviously not.

You yourself as a moderator must know that being on a debating forum, things get said that can be taken either way. It's a fine line but I guess it's down to who you offend, if it has been stated earlier that a complaint was made then maybe the person who made the comment should have been given the opportunity to apologies rather than being ostracised.

I, as an ATS moderator, know that Civility and Decorum are required at all times, and it should not even get to the stage where someone is offended, let alone get to the point where an apology needs to be offered because at that point, the T&C has already been broken.

Along the line some content is going to provoke others, what if I was to post the Mohammed cartoons on a thread or a video on the dangers of Christian extermists, these are bound to get negative comments, should the commentators be banned if they decide to tell me to go screw myself?

Their personal attacks would be removed, as they violate the T&C. Plain and simple. I'm not sure where you get the idea that they would be allowed in the first place.

And if as Skeptic Overlord states this is not youtube why all the Vlogs on how to cook the perfect pancakes, not that I care it's his website and he makes the rules I'd just like to know what was said on these comments and not to be given hassle by his suckups.

Because this is a social networking tool, as well as a conspiracy site tool. In the same manner as there is ATS and BTS, and the various sub-forums, there are appropriate sections for appropriate content, and no restrictions, other than those of copyright issues have been put in place.

Simple as that.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I have definitely received my share of insults on Internet.
I left another forum and asked for the deletion of my account. Gave up my YouTube account too.

Greetings

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Completely Agree

Regardless, they said something that was clearly offensive to the Author of the Vlog. They were kicked for it, whats done is done. I also don't think repeating what was said would be any help, if anything, it will just make things worse, especially for the author.

I believe this is a good thing, that they got band. Perhaps the next time someone is thinking of putting rude comments like that again on someone else's video, they will think twice.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Anyone who has had a reasonable conversation with another human being is fully aware of where the "line" is, and when it's been crossed.

Its sad that the last 3 U2U's Ive gotten from ATS have been of similar content. this one, one on hate speech and one about decorum.

This is such a wonderful site and service that the owners provide to all of us for FREE, I fail to understand why people take advantage of it to try and tear other people down.

Thanks SO for keeping it clean.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Most of the women involved in the initial Vlogs where involved in the thread and seemed unaffected by it. The thread itself was to determine why these vlogs had rocketed above the rest, seeing as the content was mediocre (IMO) as the male vlogs then my conclusion as to their popularity stands.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join