It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Media Portal IS NOT YouTube or Break.com

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07
If someone insults you then insult them back

You've been here for a year now. You ought to know by now that on ATS you never, ever go after the poster, and that insulting behaviour is against the T&C, so your "advice" here is misguided.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Not that I wish to make a big deal out of this but if someone insults you and you insult them back then who should get penalised according to the T&C

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
The Price Of Vigilance

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07
Not that I wish to make a big deal out of this but if someone insults you and you insult them back then who should get penalised according to the T&C

Both. Two wrongs don't make a right.

If you see a problem, please don't compound it. Instead, ALERT the staff or submit a complaint and please be patient.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

In my experience your as likely to get into trouble as the person who called you a idiot/bastard/dumb-ass ( or worse) especially when you go out of your way to insult them without actually using any catch words such as cited above. In fact if you report it and get no response ( and then decide to foolishy pay said person back in kind ) make sure to use the same words he used and see just how fast that illicits some admin response.
Admittedly these breaches are comparatively few and far between; i come to ATS for a reason....

Ps : Illiciting a negative response is greatly aided by holding a minority position or by simply attempting a completely obscure and or detailed examination that don't go down well with the painfully conservative( in terms of the most widely propagated conspiracy angles) mods or the average forumite.......

Addendum: Obviously you can't believe anything i just said as i am 'biased' and clearly paranoid.

Good luck.....

Stellar

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Personally, I have been trying to find more appropriate methods of responding to people who call me an idiot, fool, childish, ect..

What I find most irritating is those posters who grossly misinterpret what you have posted, and continue to insist that their interpretation is correct, creating a debate to shoot down the strawman argument they have created. Then there are those who just bring back points that have already been shot down as if this is the first time they have made this point.

Most irritating, is those who go back and forth with the same arguments, when it obvious that neither side will see the others point. I try to bail out of these situations after the third iteration.

I wonder if other posters will be able to remove posts not because they are insulting, but because they prove them wrong. This could get ugly if that is the situation. I think removal should only be a choice of a mod, and sometimes even then up for review.

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
What I find most irritating is those posters who grossly misinterpret what you have posted, and continue to insist that their interpretation is correct, creating a debate to shoot down the strawman argument they have created.

In many cases it is not a misinterpretation but pure intention. And most entertaining and amusing is when those certain individuals also have e.g. "deny ignorance" in their profile

Greetings

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWriter

Yeah, there are many ways of being belligerent and irritating without be straight up juvenile insult. Sometimes I think those being more crass are showing more respect, especially when they succeed in being funny with the shots getting sent back and forth. In fact, I think that some humorous banter back and forth between those in the discussion add color to the discussion, and make it more interesting, and more likely to draw more visitors. Some moderation has to be done, but it is a double edged sword. Other forums I have gone to bog down far too often with petty disputes between contributors, so I would say that this moderation clearly needs to be done, and how effectively it is done, without taking all the humor and the life out of the forum, will be a big determining factor of the success of the site, IMHO.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
It's OK to be disagreeable. But it should be done with respect. If you want to do it other ways, then do it on other websites. The internet is littered with them. I applaud this move.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Wow. I finally got the chance to read this thread, and I'm SOOO relieved!
I thought we weren't allowed to post images or something really terrible to the constructive process.

I'm so relieved to see it's just some bad apples. Good on the moderating staff for sorting it out!

-WFA

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by StellarX
Ps : Illiciting a negative response is greatly aided by holding a minority position or by simply attempting a completely obscure and or detailed examination that don't go down well with the painfully conservative( in terms of the most widely propagated conspiracy angles) mods or the average forumite.......

On a large conspiracy site such as ATS friction is unavoidable. The only question is how do the mods handle this. Personally I would have preferred an anything goes, uncensored policy where I can abuse the people that abuse me but its not my site and I don't get to make policies. I respect the terms and conditions as a prerequisite of being able to participate.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join