It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Media Portal IS NOT YouTube or Break.com

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Not to derail the discussion, quick question, are there any plans to implement a feature for the author to simply disable comments altogether, particularly of their personal photo albums? Since the media portal will be the mandatory source of all images on ats, I and other will probably use it mostly as personal hosting space when participating in discussion threads. The photos I upload there may have a specific purpose and won't make much sense outside the context of the thread anyway. Other than setting the privacy setting so that only I can view my album, would it be possible for me to just disable comments on all photos within an album?

[edit on 24-2-2009 by ngchunter]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by spitefulgod
The thread itself was to determine why these vlogs had rocketed above the rest, seeing as the content was mediocre (IMO) as the male vlogs then my conclusion as to their popularity stands.

You are spiteful, aren't you?

Just as some humorous, off-topic, or music-related member blogs became more popular that on-topic blogs, so will member Vlogs. Few people are able to be immersed deeply in ATS topics all day every day... an engaging release and/or topic shift is needed to maintain sanity. Each of the member Vlogs I've seen fall firmly into this category of engaging distraction created by talented people.

Perhaps you'd find a more comfortable setting on YouTube.com where being spiteful is typical and seemingly tolerated.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I think that is a bit cruel, sending him to youtube is a bit much, that place is hell. I am glad i found this site, and there would be nothing worse in my opinion, than to be an ATS outcast on youtube.

Regardless, you make sense.

[edit on 24-2-2009 by darcon]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Hey Bill.

I know that this is a bit OT, but I noticed (and I could be wrong here) that in some videos users are walking the fine line (if not stepping over it) when it comes to the copyrighted material (clips from Discovery and History channel for example).

Here is the thing from upload section:

"You must have the rights and/or permission from rights holder, to all files you submit.

Videos containing copyright material (such as music or news footage) must fall within the confines of "fair use." DO NOT post entire video clips of copyrighted material."

It feels to me that users should have more detailed explanation on that very page so less mishaps will occur in the future

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Excellent!!

wile were on the subject of the media site..can someone direct me to the thread that deals with faq or anything to do with the ability's of the media site? I need to find out how to 'save' profile customization changes..its not seeming to save any of the color change i do even after i press save..

thanks for such great out let ATS

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Salutes!!! Now I can put up my vlog and not worry about getting slammed and bammed because of my opinion.

Cheers!!!!

sty

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
can I get banned? I spend too much time on ATS haha
just joking, I am not sure I understand what you mean with "juvenile" - do you mean we should stop having fun, or you talk about the usage of obscene language?

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Thanks for the adjustments and the ability to delete comments. Really cool! This should be a lot more fun now and I'm already working on the next one.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
It's unfortunate that we need to make an announcement that common every-day manners are expected of our members. But there you have it.

Surely you have been entertained by the average mentality of YouTube comments, and the complete lack of moderation there.

Glad to see that not happenning here at ATS.

lol,...edit,...just saw your post above.

[edit on 24-2-2009 by smirkley]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

What's the point in getting upset at the teller? She's not the one who froze the account, or made it neccessary for the feds to step in...

Social interactions of any sort are generally smoother all around if one is polite.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Great reminders of the T & C's applying to ANY space on this site...

Since this new Vlog section is just starting out, I think it's evolution will be interesting to watch. Personally, I feel it will grow huge in popularity; to the point where some day it becomes primary to the message boards!

If I can figure out 'Firewire', and update to DSL, I might even try posting a video myself!

Thanks Skeptic Overlord, and all the moderators for your excellent work. OK, now back to scolding people...I'm only kidding...just kiddin'

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Ahh its good to see the rules being implemented to the at most extreme. We all feel safe and it gives us the courage to tell our stories and theories.
This is the reason we love ATS , because its a place where we can share anything without much ridicule or aggression. Props to the admins

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
While i don't plan on contributing to the media portal or responding to member featuring video's i must admit that it's never been said that Youtube or similar places encourages mediocrity trough banning oft very harsh ( and fair considering the arrogance presumed in posting such trash online) commentary on submissions. Since i can well imagine that there are three members on ATS who didn't realise that the new area were not their personal playgrounds , and thus deserving of getting banned, i would just like to call for some leeway in judging content as harshly as is normally allowed elsewhere on the site.

It's my hope that those members who wish to attach a face to their account should assume most of the added burden of negative feedback and not just more precious moderator attention ; they did after all choose to make the discussion more personal by attaching so much personality to it.

I am somewhat concerned about the claim that there should be spaces on ATS to 'relax' and for more informal discussions and activities? What after all is vast majority of the rest of the internet space for? I just think attention to such forum spaces and activities lowers the overall quality and tone no matter what additional measures are put in place. Isn't it better to let Youtuber's do their thing on Youtube and to keep the 'pub' environment off ATS?

Well that's my couple of cents; will deal with whatever happens as best i can any ways.

Thanks

Stellar

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I understand that the staff needs to maintain some sense of civility and decorum however I don't necessarily agree with such draconian measures.

I think account bannings should be done as a last resort, not as a first resort. Additionally, it is my opinion that the penalty system is a bit overly harsh and at times unjustified....500 and 1000 pt. deductions should not be given.

On several cases I could have easily reported someone's post as offensive but instead took direct action upon myself because I don't like whinning to staff all the time. It's just the way I was brought up I guess.

We all know debate on conspiracy forumns can get heated up quickly especially when confronting *dedicated debunkers* bent on disrupting important issues. I think these are the people that are causing most of the negative issues on ats and these are the people who should be on the receiving end of disciplinary action, not good/honest people attempting to contribute in a positive manner.

Thanks for allowing me my "2 cents" of input!

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by StellarX
It's my hope that those members who wish to attach a face to their account should assume most of the added burden of negative feedback

I'm hoping that your categorization of "negative feedback" does not extend to personal insults. Critique is one thing, insults are another. The issues requiring this thread are from insults being posted.

they did after all choose to make the discussion more personal by attaching so much personality to it.

That has nothing to do with anything. Within the ATS domains, any contributor should be able to anticipate civil decorum... no exceptions.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Lots of great micro details to crunch in this thread so far, so I'll look at the big picture, which is that no matter what the small details, the big idea is a natural and makes this site even better than it already is. Value added all the way (I'm an old cable guy!)...I for one just appreciate the distribution system the media portal offers. The degree of "slickness" is small potatoes! Especially at launch time..it's potential is huge.. and I, for one, will contribute to this service when I can...cheers

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07
I understand that the staff needs to maintain some sense of civility and decorum however I don't necessarily agree with such draconian measures.

I beg to differ. At first sight it truly appears to be a severe punishment, but ...

... nobody forces anyone to be here. It is one's own choice. Therefore, each member has chosen to accept the rules.

... the majority most likely does NOT want to get insulted.

Do you enjoy insults?

... You were addressing the staff, yes, I believe they already have enough to do. If we had a utopian world, we wouldn't need admins. And I am positive that the site owners or their staff do NOT enjoy to cancel accounts or ban people.

It's great to be here, but it's everyone's own choice.

Greetings

[edit on 25-2-2009 by TheWriter]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   

I apologise if my commentary seemed to be suggesting that these types of contributions should not have the same mininum expectations of civility&decorum. At worse i am suggesting that they are playing with fire and that they will be recieving some body blows ( too personal comments) that moderators wont always find in time to reward with banning accounts. If have seen this before but perhaps i am just too damn sensitive being able as i am to remember negative commentary i recieved many years ago.

Perhaps i should have framed it more as a general warning to those, with more guts than me, who wish to contribute in this way.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Stellar

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Well I think it's fairly simple.

Criticism is fine as long as it's being conveyed politely.

Not too much to ask for in my opinion.
I would say especially in the media section because it may take courage for some to post videos of themselves on the internet.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWriter
... the majority most likely does NOT want to get insulted.

Do you enjoy insults?

[edit on 25-2-2009 by TheWriter]

No, I don't enjoy insults but that doesn't mean I have to support overkill policies either. If someone insults you then insult them back or simply ignore them. Its really that simple!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join